Spring is coming, which means it’s almost ankle-baring season! We can’t stress how important it is to have the perfect cuff at the bottom of your jeans. We even made a denim-cuffing video for you a few years back. But we could all brush up a bit on this warm weather skill, so we’re looking to Madewell to set the record straight.
“There’s an art to this relaxed cuff thing, so we asked our denim team to explain how to get our roll on, so to speak.
1. Start with gently wrinkled denim, which holds its shape better than an ironed-flat pair. (It’s the same idea as unwashed, next-day hair being better at holding a curl.)
2. Depending on how much skin you’d like to show, fold the jeans up once, approximately two inches. Make sure this cuff is a bit larger than your ideal final roll—the extra fabric keeps the look loose, rather than starched and precise (à la Happy Days).
3. For your last and final move, gently roll the jeans another time and—attention, please—lightly tug the cuff downward. This creates an anchor effect so that the jeans hang stylishly straight. Done and done.” (Source)
We’re having a spring fling with American Eagle, and one look at their latest lookbook will show you why. Their spectrum of fun neon separates, printed denim shorts, and comfy knits will have you feeling like you’re on vacay in an instant—and let’s face it: after this cold winter, we could all use a vacay. Stay tuned for style tips from American Eagle’s Style Director, Preston Konrad.
See all of the bright, springy looks below:
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: American Eagle, buy jeans online, fit expert, neon accessories, neon denim, neon hat, neon shorts, neon sweater, printed denim, spring style, styling tips, womens denim, womens jeans
We’re always on the lookout for new ways to style the latest denim trends. This season is all about pastels, so if you’re wondering how to style aqua jeans in pastel hues, take notice. When paired with cream and white neutrals on top, the jeans stay cool and refreshing. To avoid an overly soft look (if that’s not your thing), ground your outfit in strong black accessories, like Zina did here.
Find out how to get the look below!
1. Ann Demeulemeester Jacket 2. The Row Shirt 3. J Brand Jeans 4. Bebe Sandals 5. Mossimo Glasses
Images via Lookbook
Tags: How to wear it, mint green jeans, pastel denim, styling tips, what to wear
When you first start seeing someone, it can be super-hard to decide what to wear on your dates. Clothes make a big impression, and even if you’ve been dating your boo for a while, you can still get stuck in the trap of wearing the same outfit over and over again. Never fear! We’ve come up with four denim looks perfect for any date occasion, from a glam night on the town to a casual Sunday brunch. Check out our outfits below, each of which center on a different denim piece. Denim dress, denim shirt, denim jacket, and jeans? Yep, they’re all there.
1. KAUFMANFRANCO vest 2. Free People Denim Dress 3. Topshop Cuff 4. Steve Madden Denah
1. Topshop Denim Shirt 2. Anna Sui shorts 3. Rebecca Minkoff Bag 4. Luichiny Heels
1. Paige Denim Jacket 2. Felicity & Coco Dress 3. Cynthia Vincent Platforms 4. Super Aviator Sunglasses
1. Topshop Top 2. MiH Jeans 3. Givenchy Clutch 4. Ancient Greek Sandals 4. ASOS Necklace 5. Thakoon Cardigan
Tags: denim dresses, denim jacket, Denim shirts, jeans to wear on a date, outfits to wear on a date, styling tips, summer fashion
We say it all the time, but denim is an amazing fabric because it’s so versatile. A pair of jeans can lend to your look, whether you’re heading to an outdoor festival or a lunch meeting with a client. Different colors, cuts, and textures on the market right now make this transitional styling option even more viable. We love the idea of taking jeans and making them totally luxe, because you add the element of glamour while keeping it cool. Today, we’ll show you how to do that with a few simple tricks.
1. Denim shorts with kimono-style robes.
Zadig & Voltaire Play denim cut-off shorts ($225) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
Topshop peach floral sheer kimono ($47) – buy it at Topshop.
2. Denim workshirts under tailored blazers.
Delia*s Lightweight denim workshirt ($40) – buy it at Delia*s.
Sportmax Aubergine Sondalo Corduroy Blazer ($283) – buy it at My Wardrobe.
3. Denim dress with chunky, glam costume jewelry.
CURRENT/ELLIOTT Blue Destroyed Denim Dress ($279) – buy it at Stylebop.
GUESS by Marciano Rhinestone Bib Necklace ($128) – buy it at GUESS.
Try these tips and let us know how you like ‘em!
Opening image via Fashion Gone Rogue.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: denim cut off shorts, denim dress, denim shirt, styling tips, tailored blazer, what to buy, what to wear, Zadig & Voltaire
When it comes to your denim comfort zone, scarves may deviate from the jeans, dresses, and jackets that you’re used to seeing on a daily basis, but that doesn’t mean you should shy away from them. Take the risk and layer a lightweight scarf over a striped shirt for a casual Sunday brunch or toughen up a bright yellow cashmere sweater with a rough-edged chambray confection. For a quirkier take, top a simple black V-neck with an acid-wash denim scarf. It’s unexpected, but comfy and easy to pull off. (Obviously, we’re big fans.)
Nordstrom Eyeful Solid Scarf ($44) — buy it at Nordstrom
QSW bay Stripe Long Sleeve Tee ($48) — buy it at Quiksilver
Nikita Stardust Denim Scarf Women ($64.94) — buy it at Blue Tomato Shop
Duffy Cotton and cashmere-blend racer-back top ($61.25) — buy it at The Outnet
MIH Denim Cate Chambray Scarf ($160) — buy it at Free People
Yves Saint Laurent Cashmere and silk-blend top ($850) — buy it at Net-A-Porter
Tags: acid-wash denim scarf, chambray scarf, denim scarf, styling tips
Wearing neons in the winter? It’s not only reserved for new age renditions of The Nutcracker. If you’re partial to the electric hues of the J Brand x Christopher Kane denim collection, for example, you can easily blend the intense color into your cold-weather wardrobe. Below, three ideas on how to wear neons this winter.
1. Christopher Kane x J Brand Neon stretch-denim jacket ($520) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
2. JILSY long sleeve wide-neck knit dress in oatmeal ($265) – buy it at Reiss Online.
3. Proenza Schouler Lace Up Ankle Boots ($765) – buy it at MyTheresa.
4. Joe’s Jeans Chelsea Jean ($158) – buy it at Far Fetch.
1. Christopher Kane x J Brand Neon stretch-denim shorts ($305) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
2. WM Shoes Lug II Shearlin Boots ($37 on sale) – buy it at Tobi.
3. Pink ombre jumper ($35 on sale) – buy it at Dorothy Perkins.
4. Henrik Vibskov Nordic Stocking ($70) – buy it at Far Fetch.
1. Christopher Kane x J Brand mid-rise flare jeans ($365) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
2. Topshop Cream twist fringe scarf ($32) – buy it at Topshop.
3. Smythe Box Pleat Blazer ($695) – buy it at Les Pommettes.
4. Grey Stella Ankle boots ($170) – buy it at Debehams.
5. Madewell ex-boyfriend sweater ($35 on sale) – buy it at Madewell.
Have questions about winter styling? We’re here for you! Let us know on facebook and we’ll have the answer to your wardrobe crisis in a snap.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: colored denim, denim jacket, how to wear, j brand x christopher kane, neon, neon denim, styling tips, what to wear
Style blogger Flávia from Criciúma, Brazil shows us how a denim dress doesn’t have to be prom queen cheesy or Diesel Island sexy—there is a happy medium! Here she rocks a Damyller denim dress with a tiered skirt and fringe edges with Gabriela Faraco accessories. Two great Brazilian brands and one Brazilian babe? We’re all over it! But she’s not just cute, she knows her stuff! She works heavy, powerful metallic accessories into the look so that her aesthetic is balanced with the weight of the denim garment, but still spunky enough to throw off the whole tiered-dress-frilly-factor. Bottom line? If you wear a denim dress, go bold all the way! A slinky silver chain just wouldn’t cut it in this outfit.
Images via Fashion Coolture.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Damyller denim dress, denim as formal wear, denim dress, fall fashion, Gabriela Faraco accessories, how to wear, styling tips
Just because its fall doesn’t mean you have to throw color completely out the window! In fact, this season is all about color but with a big twist. Besides, with so many colored denim selections out there, how could you not get yourself into some bright hues? Okay, so we know you’ve heard of pattern clashing, but now its time to get into color clashing! Star by pairing two colors that normally wouldn’t “go” together, echo one of them in an accessory or a non-focal garment to add a bit of cohesion, throw in a third color (make sure to make it bright) for an extra bit of interest and you’re set! Sound complicated? No worries! We’ve put together two looks to give you some outfit inspiration! The key is to not go overboard—stick to one or two brights and throw in some vivid neutrals (not black and white) to keep things colorful.
1. Topshop nutmeg boyfriend blazer ($130) — buy it at Topshop.
2. Ksubi super skinny jeans ($170) — buy it at American Rag.
3. 3.1 Phillip Lim chiffon back tee ($325) — buy it at La Garçconne.
4. L.A.M.B. Evelyn multi-color leather heels ($265) — buy it at Heels.com.
5. Topshop suede ruched clutch ($66) – buy it at Topshop.
1. MTWTFSS Weekday champ sweater in neone ($40) — buy it at Weekday.com.
2. Miss Selfridge green dropback skirt ($56) — buy it at Miss Selfridge.
3. Modekungen denim vest ($100) — buy it at Modekungen.
4. ASOS suede belt ($35) — buy it at ASOS.
5. Ego & Greed Svan Lake two-tone wedge ($115) — buy it at Sole Struck.
Tags: 3.1 Phillip Lim, color clashing, denim styling tips, Ego & Greed, fall 2011 fashion trends, fall 2011 style trends, fall 2011 trends, How to wear it, how to wear unexpected colors, Ksubi, L.A.M.B., Miss Selfridge, Modekungen, MTWTFSS Weekday, styling tips, Topshop, what to wear