We couldn’t help but share this thought-provoking email, received from one of our loyal Denim Therapy customers. Do you agree? Disagree? How do you approach your relationship with your favorite jeans? Tell us on facebook! We want to hear your story.
“Every time I get a pair of brand new jeans, something happens. Like a dog jumps on me at a dinner party and bingo, two weeks in, I’ve more or less failed.
I say failed because part of the appeal of raw denim is its newness, its pristine quality. There’s no other option that looks as gorgeously textured. It’s why the stuff has caught on in style-worlds that favor fresh, crisp looks (hip-hop). In the same way that sneakers are kept as pristine as possible, some folks treat their jeans that way. Also, any attempts to wear jeans as remotely formal are greatly helped by a flawless pair.
At the same time, I hear time and time again that raw denim is supposed to tell a story through its wear. Life is organic and imperfect and these jeans tell the world this in the most explicit way. Is this an either/or proposition? Is there a turning point? A gradual descent? Is it essentially a question of what style-world you fall into–and what look your lifestyle realistically allows for?
Do I wear the jeans or do the jeans wear me?
There’s also the question of the idealized fade–perfect imperfection–versus the ugly realities of what life brings to pants. I read a lot about wallet fades and whiskering. No one seems nearly as into coffee spills or early discoloration.
It’s almost like denim comes into this world as extremely impressionable. If it goes through the right experiences, it ends up wise and battle-tested. If not, it has scars and we’re inclined to say it’s ”fragile” at the start. It’s even more like us than we think!”
Thoughts? Let us know on facebook or tweet at us.
Tags: care for raw denim, denim culture, Denim Therapy, denim whisker, raw denim, raw denim debate, raw jeans, ripped jeans, stained jeans, whiskering
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. Check out what’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Rihanna was spotted recently in some denim that’s a few sizes too big (but who’s looking at that? She’s also in a hot red bikini!) while filming her We Found Love music video in Ireland.
2. Gentlemen, if you’re planning on getting a little dapper this fall and wearing a vest, allow us to recommend the Mister Freedom x SugarCane MFSC “Apaches” collection’s INDIGO Métisse vest. It looks as amazing as it sounds.
3. On the other hand, ladies who want to look like filthy rodeo divas who spend one too many hours in the barn (…yep) can find solace in the mud-splattered skinny jeans dsquared just sent down the runway for spring.
4. Elizabeth Olsen is on the cover of the latest NYLON Magazine, and she’s wearing denim!
5. Not enough denim in your life? Closet full, but still want more? How about denim art & furniture! This Netherlands-based website delivers non-stop denim in those very forms.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: denim furniture, denim links, denim news, elizabeth olsen, INDIGO Métisse vest, MFSC “Apaches” collection, Mister Freedom x SugarCane, nylong magazine, rihanna, skinny jeans, stained jeans, white jeans