Got a favorite pair of denim shorts you want to recommend? Let us know in the comments or on facebook!
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. Check out what’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Over 200 styles are on sale now at Madewell, including online exclusives and new products that just dropped! Our personal fav? This chambray button-up skirt.
2. Raven Denim is having a sale on women’s prooducts only—take an additional 30% off all clearance and sale items as well as regular priced. The sale ends this Sunday, so jump on it! Use promo code WOMENSSALE at checkout.
3. Hey LA, there’s a Siwy Denim sample sale next week on Friday, August 26th. Also sold? Black Orchid, LnA, and Raven. Click for details.
4. The Urban Renewal denim convertible backpack is on sale now for $19.99 at Urban Outfitters (used to be $59.00!)
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: black orchid, cheap denim, cheap jeans, denim accessories, denim sales, Madewell, raven denim, sale denim, sample sale, Siwy, Urban Outfitters
With the excitement of fireworks and BBQs comes the inevitable desire to refresh summer wardrobes with new denim & jeans—patrioitcally, no less, stimulating the nation’s economy with each purchase! …Yes, we’re justifying every swipe of our card and dip into our purse this weekend with the promise of being better citizens as we pull on our brand new 7FAM skinny jeans or tie up our 80%20 denim shoes. We’ve rounded up a bunch of fun online sales for you to browse while you’re waiting for the bon fire to get roarin’! And we wish you all a safe, happy holiday weekend.
Opening Ceremony – Mark-downs on thousands of items, including shoes, jewelry, and clothing. Our pick: Alexander Wang denim foil pant. Was $395, now $158.
Urban Outfitters – Special selection of men’s red, white & blue tops, canvas & denim shoes, accessories, and more. Our pick: Van’s American Era sneaker. $60.
Tobi – Up to 70% off men’s and women’s jeans and fashion. Brands like MM6, 9 in the morning, J Brand, Current/Elliott, Hudson Jeans, and more! Our pick: J Brand Midrise 11″ Skinny Jeans in Royal Blue. $176.
Swirl - Some of them are sold out, and yes, we ARE to blame… but Swirl is hosting a sale on 80%20 shoes until Tuesday at up to 50% off. They have some amazing denim & blue canvas styles to pick from. Our pick: Flora Cutout Bootie in Chambray. $49.
Nasty Gal - Women’s fashion on-sale, take an extra 20% off already marked down items until July 4th! Our pick: MinkPink Lonely Hearts Denim Shorts (was $78, now $43.68) or the Charley 5.0 Tied Chambray Pants (was $130, now $72.80).
Hudson Jeans – Special selection of red, white, and blue shorts and denim, including new arrivals. Free shipping on orders of $150 or more. Our pick: Hampton Cuffed Short in red. $143.
Siwy - Get 25% off site-wide this weekend only, using the promo code 4TH25 at checkout. Our pick: Hannah cropped skinny jean. $182.
Joe’s Jeans – Grab a pair of their coveted red & blue Chelsea skinny jeans! Get 25% off your purchase AND free ground shipping when you use the code YankeeDoodle at checkout.
7 For All Mankind – Also hosting a red, white, and blue themed week, with no notable sales (but their prices are reasonable as usual). Our pick: The Skinny second skin legging jean in Garnet wash. $79.
Madewell - Extra 30% Off final sale items (already marked down) & get free shipping on orders of $100 or more. Use code SALEAWAY at checkout. Our pick: Earnest sewn harlan.290 jeans in kalma. Was $195, now $154.99.
Modnique – 4th of July Weekend apparel blowout, up to 78% off denim and apparel. Our pick: Current/Elliott distressed denim skinny jeans. Was $280, now $60.
Bloomingdales - Up to 40% off select apparel and jewelry until July 4th. Brands like True Religion, Citizens of Humanity, J Brand, Hudson Ferris, & more. Our pick: Citizens of Humanity Manic Cheeky Denim Shorts in Love Potion Wash. Was $168, now $117.60.
Shopbop - Up to 70% off apparel & summer fashion (all your favorite brands are here—they have everything.) Our pick: Patterson J. Kincaid chambray Crystal Jersey Tunic Dress. Was $148, now $44.40.
J.Crew - “Final sale” sale, featuring everything from outerwear to denim, jewelry, and summer apparel. Also score free shipping on orders over $150 when you use the code SHIP150 at checkout. Our pick: Bootcut jean in faded blues. Was $125, now $79.99.
The Outnet – Take an extra 20% off everything site-wide on July 4th Weekend on merch already marked down up to 75% off, by entering code SUMMER20 at checkout. Our pick: Twenty8Twelve Peg Painter mid-rise skinny jeans. Was $325, now $81.25.
Net-A-Porter - Huge site-wide sale ends on Sunday, so jump on it! Up to 70% off your favorite designer labels. Our pick: Theyskens’ Theory Peps low-rise flared jeans. Was $265, now $84.80.
Happy Shopping, denim-addicts!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: 80%20, Alexander Wang, cheap denim, Citizens of Humanity, denim sales, Designer Denim, designer jeans, Hudson Jeans, J. Crew, jeans on sale, nasty gal, online denim sale, Siwy, summer fashion, summer sale, summer shopping
This one goes out to all the gals waiting in the wings for the first day of 70-something degrees & sunny (that beautiful moment where it becomes okay to wear short shorts in public sans-lace biker shorts). We’ve got the ultimate spring/summer denim cut-off shorts roundup to really get you in the mood. From dip-dyed DIY one of a kind to the standard blue jean classic (and we couldn’t help ourselves… we had to throw in a little Balmain too), there’s something in here for all the ladies who like to show a little leg! And don’t be discouraged if it’s not quite warm enough to rock these. That just means you have a couple more weeks to hit the gym.
1. Vintage Puple Blue Studded Short ($96) – buy it at Runway Dreamz.
2. True Religion Joey High Thigh Denim Shorts (about $332) – buy it at Jades24.
3. Balmain Frayed Denim Shorts (about $910) – buy it at Mrs H.
4. Vintage Yellow Dyed Denim Short ($91) – buy it at Runway Dreamz.
5. CURRENT/ELLIOTT Sugar Destroyed Denim Shorts ($225) – buy it at Style Bop.
6. KSUBI Mid-rise raw-edged rigid-denim shorts ($170) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
7. MinkPink Desert Fox Cutoff Shorts ($78) – buy it at Nasty Gal.
8. Balmain Tie & Die Denim Shorts ($1,760) – buy it at LUISAVIAROMA.
9. HORACE Ripped denim shorts (on sale $54) – buy it at Farfetch.
10. MOTO flag printed denim hotpants ($70) – buy it at Topshop.
Stay tuned for our upcoming tutorials on modifying your existing denim shorts to be just as killer as the ones you see above…
—Michelle Christina Larsen & Kathy Hassan
Tags: american flag shorts, Balmain, cut off shorts, denim shorts, destroyed denim, dip dye, frayed denim, Siwy, yellow denim
Nothing like strolling through the garden, inhaling the sweet scent of roses & tulips, huh? Well wake up and smell ‘em, ladies! Floral denim is one of the biggest trends this spring, from jumpers to short-shorts (and even skinny jeans). We’ve rounded up a big bouquet of our favorite items at real nice prices so you can peruse the goods and kick this spring style tip into high gear.
1. Topshop MOTO Floral Denim Hot Pants ($70) buy it at Topshop.
2. Friend of Mine Venice Denim Shorts (on sale $115) – buy it at Shopbop.
3. Topshop MOTO pale blue floral print denim playsuit ($70) – buy it at Topshop.
4. ASOS PETITE Floral Jegging (on sale $22) – buy it at Asos.
1. Forever21 Distressed Floral Denim Shorts ($23) – buy it at Forever21.
2. Topshop MOTO yellow floral hotpants ($66) – buy it at Topshop.
3. Polo Jeans Co. Floral Print Shorts ($115) – buy it at Far Fetch.
4. Siwy Hannah cropped floral-texture skinny jeans ($228) – buy it at Siwy.
1. ASOS PETITE Exclusive Floral Skinny Jeans (on sale $38) – buy it at Asos.
2. Forever21 Faded Floral Denim Cutoffs ($18) – buy it at Forever21.
3. Delia’s Ditsy Denim Shorts - two color choices shown ($35) – buy it at Delia’s.
4. Topshop MOTO Bloom Floral print capri jeans ($80) – buy it at Topshop.
Bonus Round: Etsy.com Floral Denim Finds (One of a Kind!)
1. Vintage ’80s Floral Denim High Waisted Shorts ($36) – buy it at Kasifoundthis.
2. Vintage FOLIAGE floral grunge era denim jacket ($32) – buy it at TheSweetestVintage.
3. 80s Denim Jean Pink Blue Floral Mini Dress ($38) – buy it at classicgirlvintage.
4. Vintage 90s floral denim slim skirt. high waist ($24) – buy it at sheHEARTSvintage.
5. 90s Floral Denim Parasuco Cut Offs ($20) – buy it at doomtownduo.
Note: When buying from Etsy, item is one of a kind (one size only). Be sure to check the size and measurements of the garment in the seller’s description before making a purchase.
—Denim Therapy Staff
Tags: cut off shorts, denim one-piece, floral denim, flower print denim, jeggings, jumpers, Siwy, skinny jeans, spring denim trends, Topshop, VinTage
We interrupt your St. Patty’s day merriment to bring you a very important message… Our friend Alice Chan at PPF Consigment (a swanky consignment shop in the LES) is donating 10% of each purchase made during the Month of March to the New York Asian Women’s Center—an organization that helps women and their children overcome the aftermath of domestic violence. As a thank you, PPF will also reward you with 10% off your purchase!
A bit more about the NYAWC:
The New York Asian Women’s Center helps women and their children overcome domestic violence and other forms of abuse by empowering them to govern their own lives. The Center provides a safe haven through multi-lingual support programs and shelter services. In addition, the Center works to raise public awareness about violence against women, advocates for the rights of survivors, and acts as an agent of social change.
The PPF Consignment denim selection is massive in range and includes brands like Siwy, Current/Elliot, Hudson, Rag & Bone, True Religion, Diesel, DL 1961, J. Brand, and more. With prices ranging from $29 to $109, you have no reason not to give to this cause (and score yourself a pair of jeans for spring)! This event ends on March 31st, so step lively! And don’t forget to mention the NYAWC at the time of purchase to receive your discount.
Visit them at 168 Ludlow Street, New York, NY 10002 and online at the PPF Consignment website. Store Hours are Sunday through Monday, 12–7pm, and Tuesday-Saturday 12-8pm. You can reach PPF by email at email@example.com, or by phone at (212) 677-7973.
Additionally, PPF Consignment is having a special fundraiser event for the earthquake/tsunami relief effort in Japan. They are now accepting donations and more information will be available shortly. The last fundraiser they held was very successful, with Proenza Schouler donating a PS1 bag, Cool Change donating 50 dresses, and a shop full of coveted items (think Balenciaga boots, Isabel Marant) being sold for very little… with all proceeds going to a great cause!
“Like” the boutique on facebook to stay up to date. Designers interested in volunteering items to be sold during this fundraiser can contact PPF Consignment via email.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Current/Elliot, Diesel, discount, DL 1961, fundraiser, Hudson, J Brand, New York Asian Women’s Center, new york city, ppf consignment, rag & bone, Siwy, True Religion
Across the deliciously broad spectrum of potential jean wear-ables available right now, a few pieces stand out as gems the denim-hungry shopper should pause to ponder. Some have just hit the shelves and some are recycled looks from spring (which, with the right styling, carry over seamlessly), but the common thread is evident: Intense style with a dash of playful intrigue. Mix and match our picks below with your filmy tees, cable knit sweaters, and brown leather boots for fall.
1. Double-pocket denim collar shirts are the most happening item on the market right now, appearing in variations at every price point! This versatile top will work into any ensemble. Pixie Market Denim Top ($93) – buy it at Pixie Market.
2. It’s no secret that we love Siwy–their chic, incredible fit comes with a complimentary dose of street-smart sex appeal. Try these poly-elastic blend bottoms with a high-rise back. Siwy Jeans Rose Velour in Linger ($195) – buy it at REVOLVEclothing.
3. Princess seams add attractive contour to this denim pencil skirt, while an edgy wash and zip-front are good for class all day and the dance floor afterward. MY LOVELY JEAN Denim skirt ($168) – buy it at YOOX.
4. Here’s an adorable soft-pleated skirt that won’t be a major investment. The big roomy pockets and flouncy bow-tie in the front are too sweet to pass up. Life In Progress Denim Swing Skirt ($23) – buy it at Forever21.
5. This cut-out argyle top has plenty of negative space opportunity for layers with pop colors or lace blouses. Pieced Argyle Boatneck ($170) – buy it at Opening Ceremony.
6. Still a favorite on the scene, the boyfriend jean looks super-cute paired with heels, Keds, and lace-up wedges alike. Mix up boyish appeal with your lady charms! DEBI Boyfriend Jeans ($180) – buy it at DIESEL.
7. Some of us may be window shopping on this one, but it’s no sin to be inspired by the higher end options out there! This gorgeous utilitarian denim jacket is a classic in essence, and you’ll look as fierce as an aviator without having to lift a finger. Alexander McQueen Strong-shouldered denim jacket ($1,785) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
8. Art school darlings, Jackson Pollock fans, and any who wish to turn heads, there’s no better way to do it than a pair of high contrast jeans with an intense print like this. Proenza Schouler High Waist Painted Jeans ($550) – buy it at Opening Ceremony.
9. No sense stopping with basic woven silhouettes—this unexpectedly sexy denim brassiere is structured, stylish, and just one click away. We love the contrast black band around the hem, too. Dungaree Denim Bra ($44) – buy it at TOPSHOP.
Gents… stay tuned for the mens’ edition!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Alexander McQueen, denim trends, Diesel, fall 2010, Opening Ceremony, Pixie Market, Proenza Schouler, shopping guide, Siwy
Military jackets, camouflage, combat boots, and indestructible denim, are amongst the explosive looks for this spring’s military inspired trend. Here’s a look at some great items to give yourself a fighting start with your spring wardrobe. So get down on the floor and give me twenty, soldier!
Military Look1: (Siwy cut-off Denim Shorts – $163 and Juicy Couture Military Shirt Jacket – $198)
Go sexy with cut-off denim shorts with a frayed hem paired with a twill military jacket and heels.
Military Look2: (Forever21 Tori Frayed Denim Jeans – $29.80, Bleach Black Boot by Frye, $338.00)
This casual look with torn jeans paired with studded combat boots are all the rage without overdoing it.
J. Crew Ripstop Cargo pant, 39.99 & $69.99
Supersoft cargo in authentic cotton ripstop fabric that’s been garment-dyed and washed for over 300 minutes to get the most broken-in shades. The ultra-flattering fit is amped up with boyish details. For a boyishly sweet look, pair these up with heels, a denim jacket and sparkling jewelry.
Shop J. Crew
Vila Sasa Denim Military Jacket, $42.74
Vamp it up a bit with a cute cropped version of a military inspired denim jacket pair with a pencil skirt and long boots.
Shop Vila Sasa at ASOS
Aqua Leather Military Jacket, $179.00
The iconic military jacket in buttery soft leather is an anchor to the utility feel paired with dark skinny jeans and leather booties.
Shop Aqua @ Bloomingdales
Smythe Multi-pocketed linen-blend jacket, $650
Take a regimented approach to weekend dressing with Smythe’s olive linen-blend multi-pocketed jacket. Wear it with skinny jeans, a tank and towering heels for military chic.
Shop Smythe @ net-a-porter
Superfine Nighttime Denim Jacket, $487.00
This denim jacket with a mandarin collar and contrast canvas and knit panels add military chic to a modern sihoutte. Pair these with boyfriend jeans or harem pants and mile high booties.
Shop Superfine @ Shopbop
Bleach Black Boot by Frye, $338.00
Distressed leather combat boots with a white wash finish featuring antique brass or antique silver studs along the inner tongue adds a bad-ass touch to a pair of skinny denim jeans
Shop Frye @ Free People
Bess Studded Boots, $460.00
Bess’ black leather combat boots with gold and silver-tone studs are the cool-girl’s footwear of choice.
Shop Bess @ net-a-porter
Giuseppe Zanotti Crystal-skull Canvas Ballerina Flats,$550.00
Step into this season’s military trend in Giuseppe Zanotti’s camouflage-print khaki canvas ballerina flats with crystal-sprayed skull embellishment. Wear them off-duty to bring a touch of tough to a simple tank and jeans.
Shop Guiseppe Zanotti @ net-a-porter
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Aqua, ASOS, BDG, Bess, Forever21, Frye, Giuseppe Zanotti, J. Crew, Juicy Couture, Silence & Noise, Siwy, Smythe, Superfine
Cropped jeans have traditionally been the staple denim fixture for fair weather days, especially in the summer. I mean, why would you wear cropped jeans when it’s probably snowing, raining or typhooning outside your window? Is there such a thing as ankle frostbite?
As we experience the last weeks of winter, there’s no time like the present for breaking into your spring denim reserve to lay out your month’s worth of cropped looks. Work your Ankle and Capri style jeans. I don’t recommend Clamdiggers or Bermudas, as they’re just too short.
Alexander McQueen Cutout Leather ankle boots, available at Net-a-Porter.
And this is why we wear platform booties and heels. They are your new best accessory. I love how your jeans look when they meet with your booties, above the ankles!
On the short side? Wear your petite jeans or roll up your denim. Rock the platforms. The look balances out your legs and creates an elongated illusion. Fashion can be functional, contrary to traditional belief.
7 For All Mankind Gwenevere Crop Skinny Jeans, available at Shopbop.
Rich & Skinny White Skinny Flood Crop Jeans, available at SmartBargains.
J BRAND Seven Eighths Low Rise Cropped Pencil Leg, available at Revolve Clothing.
The only dilemma you’ll find is whether you are showing off your cropped jeans look or your platform booties look. Oh, but, do you really care?
– Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Alexander McQueen, cropped jeans, J Brand, Rich & Skinny, Siwy