This one goes out to the ladies who’ll be making holiday party runs from day to night without stopping home for a change (and maybe even continuing the following day… don’t deny that it’s happened to you)! We love the look of layering sparkly, sweet frocks with denim, and in the case of this outfit from the Thread Sense holiday lookbook, managing 48 hours of parties and work (and espresso runs) is a snap with a look that literally covers all bases.
Start with a striped knit top, neutral, in a luxe knit fabric. Tuck it into a shimmering sequin skirt (the scalloped edge keeps it playful and festive). Add a sheer layered woven top, and finally a cropped denim jacket. This light wash number fits the bill perfectly: the Wanderer Shearling Denim Jacket by Mink Pink ($101). Finally, finish off the look with camel colored ankle booties and a showpiece necklace.
1. Polka-dots = instant party, but if you’re just starting out in the layering game, you might want to try something solid for the sheer layered top.
2. Medium-to-high waist is a must for styling this skirt.
3. Because there’s so much going on here, keep the colors neutral (and let the blue denim & pop-color statement necklace do the talking).
4. Hair looks great tossed in soft curls or up in a bun (and you can change your hair as you layer & un-layer for different occasions.
5. When to wear what? The look sans-jacket is perfect for work. The full look is great for a holiday shopping run and meeting a friend for coffee in the late afternoon/early evening. The look sans jacket & sheer layered top is great for the cocktail party (especially if it’s sleeveless).
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: day to night, denim jacket, holiday party, how to wear, Mink Pink, sequin skirt, Shearling Jacket, thread sense, what to wear