A new year and a new denim closet revamp is in order, no? Vogue just released their first denim must-haves list of the year, featuring a shortlist of head-to-toe denim gets for under $500. From denim shoes by Michael Kors, Alexandre Birman and SEE by Chloe, to a refreshing take on the jeans skirt by Scully Denim, we’re certain you’ll find some inspiration here. We think 2012 is the year that denim detractors may just be swayed to slip on a pair of jeans. Because, after all, Vogue certainly thinks jeans are lust-worthy.
Images via Vogue.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: 3x1, Acne, Alexandre Birman, APC jeans, Balenciaga, Citizens of Humanity, Current/Elliott, denim list, Edun, Elder Statesman, Genetic Denim, jeans under $300, Levi's Jeans, Michael Kors, Michelle Moynahan, rag & bone/jean, Scully Denim, See by Chloe, True Religion, Vogue
There’s just under a month left to find the perfect gift for everyone on your list, but if your loved ones are as crazy about denim as you are, you need look no further! We know what you’re thinking—it’s hard enough to find the perfect fit of jeans for yourself, so how could you buy them for someone else? But we’re one step ahead, with a less time-consuming alternative. After all, jeans are only one element of the wonderful world of denim…
1. For the DIY divas in your life (or anyone who can’t afford to drop lots of cash every time something trendy and fabulous hits the denim market), try this book! It’s the gift that’ll keep on giving until they can’t hold their scissors anymore. 99 Ways to Cut, Sew & Deck Out Your Denim, by Justina Blakeney, Ellen Schultz, and Faith Blakeney ($17) – buy it at Amazon.
2. A good gift isn’t just aesthetically pleasing these days, as you probably know from perusing other gift guides full of tech gadgets and time management tools. But we’re sure your efficient gift recipient will love this stylish, functional belt. It comes equipped loops for holding anything from eyebrow pencils to screwdrivers. See by Chlo? Pocket-detail denim belt ($150) – buy it at The Outnet.
3. A sense of humor is crucial when you can only afford a $1.00 gift, but as long as you make people laugh, no one’s going to blame you! This charming little pin will look great on bags, coats, or guitar straps So hey, why not? Bean Forest “TAKE OFF YOUR PANTS” Pin ($1) – buy it at Bean Forest.
4. With the rise of Etsy.com and the DIY revolution, beautiful hand-made gifts are more accessible and affordable than ever. We found this classy shoulder bag and wish we could get one for everyone in the office! Hand-made Strapped Shoulder Bag in black denim ($75) – buy it at Definition of Self.
5. For the biker babe or rocker dude on your list, something a bit more bad-ass to make their season bright. These fingerless gloves are half leather, half distressed denim, and it’ll ensure no one thinks twice about messing around at the crazy, intoxicated New Year’s Eve bash. Maison Fabre Denim/Leather Fingerless Mittens ($133) – buy it at Saks Fifth Avenue.
6. No, that price is not a typo, and this gift is truly reserved for the most gung-ho of denim fanatics… or anyone looking to be schooled thoroughly on the entire industry from A to Z. If they want to know it all, this is the closest thing to denim university. The Denim Bible Jeans Encyclopedia II, by Sportswear International ($1,546) – buy it at Amazon.
7. A cute, versatile denim hat to cap off a perfect winter outfit (and keep someone’s head warm). The neutral gray color allows for mixing with any outwear they already have, and the very nice price will keep you as jolly as a Christmas elf. Calvin Klein Martial Cap ($25) – buy it at Calvin Klein.
8. An accessory to wrap around the neck, tie up like a turban, or employ in apartment decor, this Diesel scarf has a vintage charm with contemporary edge. They come in several other colors and designs. DIESEL 2-KRAFS Scarf & Tie ($ 60) – buy it at DIESEL.
9. If you prefer to be remembered fondly during the post-holiday couch potato TV marathon your best friend annually partakes in, perhaps something more suited to lounging is in order. American Denim Square Denim Pillow ($24) – buy it at Specialty Linens.
Need more ideas? Try the please-everyone Denim Therapy Gift Card, a D.I.Y. version of any of these gift ideas above, or the super-cool MS&Co denim sleeves we featured earlier this week. Have your own ideas? Drop by our facebook page and let us know! Happy gift-giving!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: 99 Ways to Cut, American Denim, by Sportswear International, Calvin Klein, christmas 2010, Denim Bible Jeans Encyclopedia II, denim gift guide, Diesel, holiday 2010, holiday gift guide, Maison Fabre, See by Chloe, Sew & Deck Out Your Denim, SHOPPING, the perfect gift
MM6 BY MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA Black Stretch Denim. $90.
When I stumbled upon the sample sale at Yoox, my initial, non-verbal reaction was of shock. “Whoa Nelly!” I exclaimed, as I surfed through all the yummy Acne Jeans apparel, before finally landing on the Denim section. I scanned the room for my credit card before coming back down to earth. No. No. No. I must inform all those denimphiles out there first, I said. It’s a haven for those who want to save up to an extra 90% off top designer and premium jeans. You can be sure to find a lot of great jeans around $50-$60. Many sizes are selling out fast. Now that I’ve done my due diligence, go check it out ASAP. The YOOX Sample Sale ends Sunday, March 29. Now, where is that credit card of mine…
SURFACE TO AIR White Straight Leg Jean. $34.
SEE BY CHLOE Low Waisted Slide Split Hemline Jean. $50.
— Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Acne Jeans, MM6 by Maison Martin Margiela, See by Chloe, surface to air