What to wear, what to wear? Whether we’re dressing up for a day at work or a weekend of relaxing, we love seeing what A-list denim lovers are wearing, like the ever-stylish Jessica Alba and the effortlessly beautiful Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. We’re turning to our favorite celebrities for summer styling trends. Check out these celebrity denim trends and get inspired!
From the time denim hit the market as functional, industrial uniforms to the moment skinny jeans became a staple in every woman’s closet, denim has always been a must-have. No closet is complete without a pair of worn-in, comfy boyfriend jeans — nor a pair of fierce dark wash jeans for days when you want to turn heads and take numbers. But it’s the celebrity denim culture that also fuels our love of amazing jeans. Seeing women like Miranda Kerr, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Kate Upton rocking our favorite brands in new and exciting (and sometimes totally off-duty) ways keeps us craving denim in our wardrobes. Harpers Bazaar takes a look at some of the ultimate jean queens of our current culture.
Left to right: Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in Frame Denim, Miranda Kerr in J Brand, Kate Upton in black skinnies (brand unknown).
Images via Harpers Bazaar.
Tags: black jeans, celeb denim, celebrity denim, denim style, Frame Denim, J Brand, Kate Upton, miranda kerr, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, skinny jeans
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and inside info! Catch up on what’s happening and browse our personal picks for the most interesting what-not that turns up during our morning web crawl. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. We really love this quote posted by Nudie Jeans Co. overnight:
“Indigo was first banned upon arrival to Europe. It was claimed to be the Devil’s Dye. But soon it became King of colors.”
2. The Denim Guy reminds the dudes that colored denim is for everyone! Embrace neon yellow, fire engine red, etc!
3. Artisanal fabric dyer Audrey Louise Reynolds dipped a limited-edition, hand-painted pair of jeans for New York denim label Courtshop. Instant It-jeans? We think so.
4. M2F Denim wants to make sure you know their jeans look awesome on guys, too. They put a pair of purple skinny jeans on Dancing With The Stars Star Roshon Fegan and it worked out rather well.
5. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley poses in the latest Hollywood Reporter (the Top Stylist issue) with her stylist, Cher Coulter. Rosie is wearing black Elizabeth & James Diedrick pants.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Cher Coulter, colored denim, Elizabeth & James Diedrick pants, indigo dye, m2f denim, mens denim, neon yellow jeans, purple jeans, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley
Rebels with a cause are pretty appealing to us, and this time the cause is true blue American denim—R13 denim is the brand we’ve got our eyes on. The spring collection refashions classic fits and introduces new styles, like the boyfriend fit known by R13 fans as the ‘slouch skinny’. They pioneer avant-garde silhouettes like the R13 signature crossover and harem jean styles, as well as sporty separates like the skin-tight back-seamed denim “panty-hose” (go ahead, giggle). Read on for our exclusive interview with the R13 design team!
Check out our favorite images from the R13 spring 2011 lookbook below:
Denim Therapy: Lets start from the beginning. How did you know you wanted to be a designer?
R13: It was a dream of mine to start a denim company for years, but the opportunity did not surface until two years ago while traveling in Italy, I met someone that was able to connect me with the right people to make the jeans.
DT: Are there other denim brands you consider your immediate competition?
R13: On the one hand no, because I fell that we are unique in our brand vision. But on the other hand,the denim community is also a family and I really admire all the denim company out there trying to make it work because I know how hard that is, so I support all of my “competition” out there.
DT: How do you differentiate yourself from the hundreds of popular denim brands afloat right now?
R13:It’s definitely hard to differentiate yourself out there, but staying true to who I am and what inspires me is one way that to do that. Every human being is unique, and as long as I can stay true to who I am then I hope that self expression will be a unique one.
DT: Do you have any pre-designing rituals?
R13: My pre-design rituals is always the same. right about the time when I am about to design, I would spend a month or so of inputting as much information into my brain as possible, it could be anything, art, books, magazine, movies, etc. then I forget it all and start designing. Some how all the input get blended in my mind so that the output is an expression of that moment or period in time.
DT: Describe your ideal target customer—the customer you have in mind when you’re planning a collection.
R13: I design what looks good to me rather than focus on a customer image. The men’s collection is what I want to wear, and the women’s collection is what I would like all the women out there to look like. Strong and very sexy.
DT: Can you give us hint about what’s next?
R13: We are always looking for new ways to express our brand image. This spring I’m looking for some loose-weave denim fabrics out of Japan to cut more oversize styles with. I’m looking at new ways to do black jeans and also new ways of doing white jeans.
DT: What would be your dream collaboration? Any plans of that in the future?
R13: My dream collaboration would be with Emmanuelle Alt and Hedi Slimane.
DT: What are the most popular washes/fits in the line? What are your favorites, and how would you style them?
R13: Our most popular wash is a vintage blue with little paint splatter on it. My favorite fit is our low skinny. It’s low but very square fit. Extra skinny legs, really sexy with an over size White shirt or vintage torn surplus jacket.
DT: Street style and style blogs are huge in the industry right now as a source of inspiration, influencing the high end labels rather than vice-versa. How much does street style influence your designing?
R13: The blogs have a huge influence on me. I love all these hip girls from around the world with a voice in fashion. One of my favorite is 10th muses out of Romania…
DT: How many pairs of denim do YOU own?
R13: About a hundred personal pairs and I have a library of denim for R13.
DT: Favorite celeb wearing your brand?
R13: Rosie Huntington-Whiteley!
A big thanks to R13 for answering this Q&A and providing us with an inside look at the design process & what’s hot in the line right now. Be sure to follow them on facebook!
—Jackie Racer & Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: American Denim, designer interview, q&a, R13, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley
Missed out on any of our stellar denim coverage this week? We make catching up easy with our round up of the most exciting blog posts we cooked up for you in the past seven days, with denim news, links, campaigns, and more. You’re welcome!
1. Desigual’s Denim Dresses—Have you checked out Desigual lately? The lookbook pamphlet they’ve been handing out in front of their SoHo store is chocked full of innovative bohemian summer denim picks,with an inspiring variety of textures and approaches…
2. Get The Look: Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in J Brand—Vroom, Vroom. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is sure to get your heart racing. She was spotted at the Daytona 500 event in Florida. Rosie was wearing a pair of the J Brand 901 Leggings in Hewson with an Enza Costa Rogue Rib Baseball Tank in white…
3. Rue De Jeans Exclusive Q&A—We know what you’re thinking… “another denim brand, hooray!” But before you even get excited, check out this innovative denim design and learn why you should really be impressed. Rue De Jeans offers something called a stealth patented design element…
4. Constance Jablonski Rocks Spring Denim In Spanish Harper’s Bazaar—Timeless and classic beauty Constance Jablonski graces the pages of Spanish Harper’s Bazaar April 2011 looking ever-so gorgeous. She’s featured in a perfectly styled editorial wearing the latest in spring denim by Stella McCartney, Christian Dior, Mango and D&G…
5. Natalie Off Duty: Denim Styling in Barcelona—Natalie Off Duty had a recent stint in Barcelona, lighting up the streets with her charming style and quirky approach to off-duty dressing. Her newest blog post features her in an American Apparel denim work shirt and leather pants by Zara…
6. Women’s Selvedge Denim by Railcar Fine Goods—Railcar Fine Goods, a privately-owned premium denim and workwear brand from Los Angeles, has quietly launched their new women’s selvedge line, consisting of 13.5-ounce Cone Mills red line selvedge denim…
—Denim Therapy Staff
Tags: best denim blog, Constance Jablonski, denim news, denim trends, desigual, J Brand, natalie off duty, Railcar Fine Goods, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, rue de jeans