A very cool exhibition is coming to NYC in June, thanks to globe-trotting photographer Eric Kvatek (known for shooting the lookbooks of brands like PRPS and Kapital). It’s called Japanese Indigo: Boro, and showcases his Japanese indigo textiles from as far back as the early 1800s. The exhibition will be held at Mondo Cane in Tribeca, June 21st—July 12th, with an opening party for denim heads to kick it off.
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and inside info! Catch up on what’s happening and browse our personal picks for the most interesting what-not that turns up during our morning web crawl. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Intermix posted up a sneak peek at rag & bone for Spring/Summer 2012 on their facebook. Lots of bright colors!
2. Watch this rad video coined “For The Love Of Denim”, starring Donwan Harrell (designer/founder of PRPS), as he talks about what makes the denim industry unique, and what he loves about designing.
3. Rihanna was recently photographed wearing a neon denim jacket from J Brand x Christopher Kane collection… as a beach wrap! We like this idea.
4. Ernest Alexander is having a great sale on denim workshirts for men right now (and there’s nothing stopping the ladies from grabbing one too). You’ll get $33 off each shirt purchase (no limit) when you use the code BUTTONDOWN at checkout.
5. There’s a denim editorial from Vogue China February 2012 that caught our eye recently—we’re not really into the styling on the whole, but there is one denim skirt in there that has us dying for some floor-length light-wash action.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: colored denim, Donwan Harrell, j brand x christopher kane, neon denim, PRPS, rag & bone for Spring/Summer 2012, rihanna, vogue china
Donwan Harrell of PRPS was put under the lens when photographer Jake Davis came in to photograph his office. The photographer commented, “Donwan Harrel has a cooler office than me.” That about sums it up! Packed with vintage jeans, Japanese denim glossies, collectible Kewpie dolls in denim outfits and a plethora of Americana memorabilia, this is one office we wouldn’t have a hard time getting inspired in.
Images via Jake Davis.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Donwan Harrell, Jake Davis, Japanese denim, office, PRPS, vintage jeans
Halloween is approaching, the leaves are changing, and let’s face it, it’s getting cold out! In case you didn’t know, jean jackets are the ultimate essential item for this season for both women and men. They are lightweight enough to not have you traveling in a sweat and are such an easy piece to layer with. Why we really love them though is because no matter what kind of look you personally like to go for, denim is the one thing that always remains stylish and functional! Check out some of our favorites below!
1. Balman Safety-Pin Detail Denim Jacket ($1,650) – buy it at The Outnet.
2. Wrangler Vintage Africa Kuba Cloth Jacket ($298) – buy it at Free People.
3. Helmut-Lang Asymmetrical Stretch-Denim Jacket ($232.50) – buy it at The Outnet.
4. Prps Denim Jacket ($295) – buy it at The Outnet.
5. Washborn Dude Ranch Denim Jacket ($88) – buy it at Nasty Gal.
6. G-Star Raw Dazzle Organic Parka ($300) – buy it at G-Star Raw.
7. GUESS Denim Trench ($120) – buy it at Guess.
8. GUESS Abigail V Neck Long Sleeve Pocket Denim Blazer($118) – buy it at Macy’s.
Tags: Balmain, chambray jacket, denim blazer, fall fashion, free people, G-Star Raw, Guess, Helmut Lang, jean jackets, PRPS, stretch denim, vintage jean jacket, Washborn, Wrangler
The PRPS Fall Winter 2011 collection was released in film and photographic lookbooks, both of which take us back to the days of the early American lifestyle, with a perfect blend of English and Native American influence. The denim work shirt with plaid detailing and the plaid button-down shirt with denim accents are great stylistic representations of the balance between the two different backgrounds, and we are loving them! While these pieces are what really set the collection apart, PRPS also has some great outerwear, knits, and quality denim jeans in light and dark washes for this season. Check out the line for yourself and find out what your fashion must-haves are for this fall.
Images via Highsnobiety.
Tags: dark denim, Denim Work Shirt, English influence, fall fashion, light denim, mens denim, Native American influence, plaid shirts, PRPS, winter fashion
Lindsay Lohan in PRPS
Ashley Tisdale in Siwy
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could make a wish to the Jean Genie for a pair of this seasons trendy cut-off jeans? Hell, I’d ask for every premium jean from here to Tokyo! Since that isn’t going to happen, here’s a way to breath new life into your old jeans. Copy the look that so many celebrities (Lindsay Lohan and Ashley Tisdale to name a few) are rocking. Show off those sexy gams of yours and sharpen those scissors of yours.
D.I.Y. instructions to create your own Jean Shorts
(Source – Life & Style):
Tools needed: Tape measure, pen, scissors.
Step 1: Mark the length on the midthigh, adding an extra 1/2 inch for fraying.
Step 2: Cut straight across the legs with sharp scissors
Step 3: Machine-wash and dry to encourage frayed edges. the more jeans are washed, the more the fabric will unravel.
Tip: To get the best length, lay a favorite pair of shorts on top of the jeans and match up the crotch seams. Cut along the hemline.
PRPS Ladies cut-off denim short in Splatterpop, $349 (as seen on Lindsay Lohan)
Siwy Camilla cut-off shorts in Superstition wash, $168 (as seen on Ashley Tisdale), $168
America Eagle Destroyed denim cut-off short shorts, $34.50
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: American Eagle, Ashley Tisdale, Celebrity Pink, DIY, Jean Shorts, Lindsay Lohan, PRPS, Siwy
MIKE & CHRIS Ritter Japanese Denim Cargo Micro Short. Available at SINGER22.
Whoever told you that you can’t and shouldn’t be wearing shorts this summer must live in Siberia or something. If you’re wise about it, anybody can wear denim shorts at any age, and not look silly. Remember: 50 is the new 40; 40 is the new 30; and so on. With some proper preparations, you’ll be able to tastefully rock your denim look and rack up style points from your peers. Remember, if you have bumps and veins you’d rather hide, go longer with the denim. Don’t try to hide them with stockings or leggings.
Try These Tips:
1) Groom your legs: shave, exfoliate, lubricate. Be sure to apply moisturizer on your legs immediately after patting them dry with a towel. It helps if you’re just coming out of a mild to hot shower. This will help with absorption.
2) Fake bake, if necessary. If not, try rubbing some baby oil down the front of your legs (from below the knees down to just above the feet). Carefully apply concealer (yes, makeup!) on bruises and scabs.
3) If all else fails, get your legs groomed professionally, and don’t forget the pedicure! Select a light color, which makes your feet appear tanner. Neutral, muted tones does the trick.
4) Pair your denim shorts with some fantastic pair of shoes.
PRPS Denim Short, available at SHOPBOP.
SIWY Camilla Shredded Cut Off Shorts, available at SINGER22.
CURRENT/ELLIOTT Suspender Boyfriend Short in Hickory Destroyed. Available at REVOLVE.
SRETSIS Comrade Jean Shorts, available at REVOLVE.
Cycle Shorts, available at TOPSHOP.
JBRAND Low Rise Baggy Shorts in Clyde, available at REVOLVE.
MISS ME COUTURE Pants in denim blue, available at REVOLVE.
JOE'S JEANS Shorts in Cruz, available at REVOLVE.
ROBIN'S JEAN Red Military Shorts, available at KITSON.
– Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Current/Elliott, J Brand, Joe's Jeans, Mike & Chris, Miss Me, PRPS, Robin's Jean, Siwy, Sretsis, Top Shop
Take advantage of Barney’s super sale, that isn’t so private anymore, and stock up on some great denim.
PRPS Skinny-Dart Distressed Jeans
Originally $360, Now $129
J Brand Cavalry Skinny
Originally $216, Now $79
Current/Elliott Denim Waistcoat – High Low Blue
Originally $264, Now $89
Rag & Bone Denim Pencil Skirt
Originally $242, Now $119
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Barney's, Current/Elliott, J Brand, PRPS, rag & bone
Win A Pair Of Jeans From Farinellis
Farinellis.com is a brand new store from Mauro Farinelli who has been in fashion retail for 12 years, most recently being the creative force behind Denim Bar in Arlington. The store stocks a great selection of denim from the likes of Current/Elliott, J Brand and Paige for women and Nudie, PRPS, APC and Spurr for men. Readers of Denimology are in for a treat because Mauro has two great offers for you – firstly if you enter the discount code “Ilovejeans” at the checkout you will get you 20% off all your purchases and as if that wasn’t enough if you enter your email address below you will be entered into a competition to win your choice of any pair of jeans available at Farinellis.com.
Please note that by entering this competition you are agreeing to receive email newsletters from both Denimology and Farinellis.com. You will be able to unsubscribe from these emails at anytime. The closing date for entries is March 30th, 2009.
– Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: A.P.C., Current/Elliott, J Brand, Nudie, Paige, PRPS, Spurr