Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. Check out what’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. This one’s for the raw denim lovers… Rawr Denim is celebrating their 100th article with a comprehensive guide to raw denim, and why it’s so awesome.
2. The Denim Guy posted up his recount of the Fashion’s Night Out Saks adventure (which our LA team collaborated with him on last week). Check out our post on the event too!
3. We heard through the grape vine that fashion industry pretty boys Jack McCullough and Lazaro Hernandez are launching a new Proenza Schouler denim line. With a launch date sometime this winter, it seems like a new wave of product to obsess over is fast approaching.
4.More Rihanna x Armani Jeans are out (as you may recall, we weren’t thrilled at our first look) and they seem to be a little more along the lines of what we expected from the two epic names. In a word, these are actually sexy.
5. Eat Sleep Denim has rounded up a few key denim trends seen on the runway so far during NYFW. How many of these will you be endorsing in the fall?
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Armani, campaign, denim trends, doctrine jeans, Fashion's Night Out, new denim line, nyfw, Proenza Schouler, raw denim, rihanna, The Denim Guy
Our favorite good girl gone bad was spotted a couple days ago in Beverly Hills, taking care of her what seemed to be her daily mundane duties, (ie shopping for luxurious designer clothing, and lavish jewelry). While doing so, the songstress and trendsetter effortlessly rocked a cool pair of J Brand denim cut off shorts with a black and white striped henley by Proenza Schouler. Rihanna who recently has been spotted sporting a new curly do’ pulled the look off well. Pairing it with a clutch by Fendi and suede lace up boots by Giambattista Valli. Our overall verdict on the outfit: We love it! The look can easily be transitioned into the upcoming Fall season, by swaping out the denim shorts for a pair of denim skinnies or wide leg trousers.
Images via celebrityfashion
— Ashlee Mellowes
Tags: celebrity denim trends, denim shorts, Fall 2011, Fendi, giambatista vali, J Brand, Proenza Schouler, rihanna
Nicky Hilton was seen doing what she does best… strolling around West Hollywood in a pair of Paige Premium Layne Cargos in Jungle, Levis Denim Jacket, Proenza Schouler PS1 Bag, Havaianas Slim Flip Flops, and Fendi FS411 Aviator Sunglasses. Her casual look is perfect for the day out without too much of a fuss. The whole color scheme of the ensemble is a tribute to camoflauge (green, black, and blue), and the double denim look? We’d say that’s a tribute to trend.
Tags: cargo, fendi sunglasses, havaianas, Levi's, levi's denim jacket, Nicky Hilton, nicky hilton in double denim, nicky hilton in west hollywood, Paige Denim, paige premium layne cargos, Proenza Schouler
Across the deliciously broad spectrum of potential jean wear-ables available right now, a few pieces stand out as gems the denim-hungry shopper should pause to ponder. Some have just hit the shelves and some are recycled looks from spring (which, with the right styling, carry over seamlessly), but the common thread is evident: Intense style with a dash of playful intrigue. Mix and match our picks below with your filmy tees, cable knit sweaters, and brown leather boots for fall.
1. Double-pocket denim collar shirts are the most happening item on the market right now, appearing in variations at every price point! This versatile top will work into any ensemble. Pixie Market Denim Top ($93) – buy it at Pixie Market.
2. It’s no secret that we love Siwy–their chic, incredible fit comes with a complimentary dose of street-smart sex appeal. Try these poly-elastic blend bottoms with a high-rise back. Siwy Jeans Rose Velour in Linger ($195) – buy it at REVOLVEclothing.
3. Princess seams add attractive contour to this denim pencil skirt, while an edgy wash and zip-front are good for class all day and the dance floor afterward. MY LOVELY JEAN Denim skirt ($168) – buy it at YOOX.
4. Here’s an adorable soft-pleated skirt that won’t be a major investment. The big roomy pockets and flouncy bow-tie in the front are too sweet to pass up. Life In Progress Denim Swing Skirt ($23) – buy it at Forever21.
5. This cut-out argyle top has plenty of negative space opportunity for layers with pop colors or lace blouses. Pieced Argyle Boatneck ($170) – buy it at Opening Ceremony.
6. Still a favorite on the scene, the boyfriend jean looks super-cute paired with heels, Keds, and lace-up wedges alike. Mix up boyish appeal with your lady charms! DEBI Boyfriend Jeans ($180) – buy it at DIESEL.
7. Some of us may be window shopping on this one, but it’s no sin to be inspired by the higher end options out there! This gorgeous utilitarian denim jacket is a classic in essence, and you’ll look as fierce as an aviator without having to lift a finger. Alexander McQueen Strong-shouldered denim jacket ($1,785) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
8. Art school darlings, Jackson Pollock fans, and any who wish to turn heads, there’s no better way to do it than a pair of high contrast jeans with an intense print like this. Proenza Schouler High Waist Painted Jeans ($550) – buy it at Opening Ceremony.
9. No sense stopping with basic woven silhouettes—this unexpectedly sexy denim brassiere is structured, stylish, and just one click away. We love the contrast black band around the hem, too. Dungaree Denim Bra ($44) – buy it at TOPSHOP.
Gents… stay tuned for the mens’ edition!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Alexander McQueen, denim trends, Diesel, fall 2010, Opening Ceremony, Pixie Market, Proenza Schouler, shopping guide, Siwy
Photo via Coutorture.
Photo via Coutorture.
Ah yes, J Brand certainly keeps us denim lovers on our toes. Their latest collaboration is with none other than Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough, the duo who make up Proenza Schouler.
???We are extremely excited to work with Lazaro and Jack. They have great vision, a point of view, are incredibly talented and fun to work with,??? said Jeff Rudes, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer of J Brand.
???Everyone we know wears J Brand. It was an easy choice,??? continued Hernandez and McCollough.
Proenza Schouler debuted a Fall 2010 exclusive denim collaboration with J Brand jeans at the Proenza Schouler Fall/Winter 2010 runway show last night at New York Fashion Week. This one season collaboration marks the first ever jean produced by Proenza Schouler. Featured on the runway was a graphic-printed, exaggerated high rise skinny jean in 11 oz. Japanese stretch denim, which was further hand painted to accentuate texture and dimension.
???For fall 2010 we are exploring ideas closer to home. Urban elements are important as is the idea of uniforms. Denim fits the bill as the most ubiquitous item in most people??™s wardrobe. Proenza Schouler will for the first time, explore this classic element, never-the-less infusing it with the Proenza Schouler DNA,???said Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough of Proenza Schouler.
The jean collection will be available in exclusive specialty stores mid-July.
Source: Wetherly Fashion Group.
– Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: J Brand, J Brand/Proenza Schouler, Proenza Schouler
Dree Hemingway, fashion's It Girl and "runway Twitterer." SOURCE: The New York Times.
Fashion’s latest It Girl, Dree Hemingway, caught my eye first with her interesting fringed sky-high black heels. As my mind processed her entire outfit further, it hit me that she’s sporting April 77 jeans! Yes, folks. Skinny jeans are still in. Very nice touch, young lady! Dubbed the “runway Twitterer” by Karin Nelson of The New York Times‘ Fashion & Style section, this girl is going places. Thank goodness for models who know how to dress themselves off the runway, not like some other It Girl models — I won’t name names — we’ve been seeing lately.
And thanks for the tip, Mariel Hemingway. If it wasn’t for my own Twitter addiction, I might not have seen this lovely shot!
SHOP THIS LOOK! APRIL 77 Joey Overdrive skinny raw jeans.
From New York Times:
DREE HEMINGWAY, model, actress, daughter of Mariel Hemingway.
WHAT I??™M WEARING NOW A Balenciaga leather jacket, a flannel shirt from the Gap, April 77 jeans, Alexander Wang shoes, a YSL ring.
STYLE CREDO I??™m a pants girl. I just feel more comfortable in them. Lately I??™ve being trying on a lot of pantsuits, like the black Calvin Klein one I wore to their show. The trousers have a shorter Audrey Hepburn length, which I love. Mainly I wear jeans and a T-shirt, with a crazy shoe ??” the bigger, the better. I tried on the most amazing ones at Gucci. They??™re huge platforms with straps that go around the ankle. Phenomenal. Having an accent piece is good. That??™s basically all I do.
ON MY WISH LIST A Rick Owens leather jacket and a Proenza Schouler PS1 bag in python.
– Kathy Ng Hassan (more…)
Tags: Alexander Wang, April 77, Balenciaga, Calvin Klein, Gap, Gucci, Proenza Schouler, Rick Owens, YSL
“The references are all over the map,” said an unapologetic Chlo?« Sevigny, chatting about her latest collaboration with Opening Ceremony – a unisex collection she unveiled during London Fashion Week. The line, which she showed Sunday at the Double Club, was a “slight homage” to one of her favorite designers, Miguel Adrover, said the actress, but it also had dashes of what she called “gay lumberjack,” James Dean, preppy New England and English punk. Highlights included skinny moleskin trousers, Fair Isle, tiger and leopard-patterned knits, little tweed blazers, dyed thermals and oversize jackets that fall past the hip. It was conceived as a men’s collection that women could also wear.
Sevigny and Opening Ceremony have also collaborated with Bass on a selection of footwear, including two-tone Weejun loafers and saddle-shoe boots. Other accessories include checkerboard scarves, fabric backpacks with plastic patch pockets and beanies. Prices start at $95 for a fringed scarf and run to $945 for an overcoat. The line will be carried at Opening Ceremony in New York and Los Angeles and stores including Barneys, Colette and Dover Street Market.
Click here to read the full story
Opening Ceremony is doing a last call on their discounted designer merchandise now at markdowns of up to 75% off. Be sure to hit this West Hollywood outpost within the next two weeks for sale men’s and women’s clothing from Acne, Proenza Schouler, Band of Outsiders, Alexander Wang, and their own O.C. line and more.
Opening Ceremony, 451 North La Cienega Boulevard, (between Rosewood and Oakwood avenues); 310-652-1120
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Acne, Alexander Wang, Band of Outsiders, Bass, ChloÃ« Sevigny, Opening Ceremony, Proenza Schouler