The denim workshirt may be the epitome of rugged style, but with the right accessories and polished pieces, you can look party-ready. All that you need are a few fancier additions to your outfit to up the drama. Tuck your shirt into a fitted pencil skirt or a tulle confection as the first step, but the real work comes with the accessories. Everyone loves a little bit of sparkle, so bring some holiday cheer with a chunky, statement necklace or sequin heels.
1. Trouvé Faded Denim Shirt ($88) — get it at Nordstrom
2. ModCloth Stylish Selection Skirt ($69.99) — get it at ModCloth
3. Nine West Cress ($99) –get it at Zappos
4. ASOS Pyramid Lock Envelope Clutch ($36.36) — get it at ASOS
Tags: Chambray Shirt, Denim shirts, denim workshirt, holiday party outfits, party outfits
As Balmain reminded us repeatedly over the past year, metallics and denim are a match made in heaven. Whether it’s sparkles, studs, or a sleek panel of metallic mesh, this accent can turn a basic denim garment into something extremely festive (or totally badass). This New Year’s Eve, it’s time to toss the frou-frou cocktail dress and let the room know you’re there to party! Check out some of our favorite ways to wear metallic accessories and accents with your denim.
1. French fashion blogger extraordinaire Betty of Le Blog de Betty kicks around in some metal-toe boots by OFFICE (?95) – buy them at OFFICE.
2. It makes a lot of sense to turn to the makers of denim classics themselves to turn out compatible accessories to help illuminate your look. A metallic belt is functional, eye-catching, and sure to serve you well into the new year. We love this 1-SNAP-A belt by Diesel ($130) – buy it here.
3. Steal the show in this velvet vest with metallic thread embroidery and mirror detail! The ornate piece goes perfect with a pair of ripped cut-off jean shorts. Nasty Gal had this Marrakesh version for sale and it’s since been sold, but you can DIY, scour vintage shops, or try this gold-embellished nude bolero at $108.
4. New York-based glamour-expert and blogger-gone-style-icon The Glamourai layers with a metallic sequin cardigan over a pair of Hudson jeans. Metallic sequin blouse by Elizabeth and James ($185.50) – buy it at Beso.
5. The luxe golden accent jewelry and accessories at Chanel work perfectly when applied to denim. Pile on the bangles, jewels, and rings while keeping your denim attire simple to make a bold statement. Seen here via the Cherry Blossom Girl. Try these Giles & Brother golden bracelets ($168) from Net-A-Porter, or a Kenneth Jay Lane Double Cross Cuff ($231) from Shop Bop. For party goers on a budget, this beautiful Pelle Filigree Cuff ($20) from Alloy.
6. Taking #3 a bit further, Dries Van Noten SS/11 shows us that layering textured metallics on top and pairing with a pair of jeans creates a look that encompasses the spirit of partying in luxury and the careless vibe of downtown new york city. Image from JAK & JIL BLOG. Try this Diane Von Furstenberg ($545) from Cusp, paired with this VINCE sequin tea in antique gold ($295) from Revolve Clothing. Or try this eye-popping (and exceedingly affordable) Wet Seal variation in red.
With these styling tips and a whole universe full of after-Christmas sales, you’ll be able to rock party-tailored denim on the big night out and turn heads all year long.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Balmain, biker babe, cherry blossom girl, denim and metallics, Dries Van Noten, golden cuffs, jak & Jil, kenneth jay lane, le blog de betty, new years eve, party outfits