It seems the entire world is on a quest to dress like Parisian style icons, chasing that effortless tomboy approach to feminine style made viral by modern stars like Clémence Poésy and Léa Seydoux. If you’re also looking to add a bit of French girl flare to your look, we’d recommend a browse through the fall 2014 collection of Laurence Doligé—a sportswear designer who has successfully combined effortless chambray with patchwork denim, peplum coats, and luxe slouchy knitwear into one offering of serious class. See the collection here, and check out our tips on dressing with je ne sais quoi below.
1. Mix dressy with casual. If you’re wearing a silk blouse, pair it with boyfriend jeans. A pair of tailored slacks go perfect with a crisp white tee. Roll up those sleeves and add some pearls!
2. Wear black and white. Sounds basic, and, well, it is. Try a white pair of jeans with a black knit sweater, tucked into the front. Add some gold cuff bracelets and a pair of easy flats. Done.
3. A simple frock does the job like nothing else. Whether it’s a button down cotton summer dress in a solid off-white hue or a pinstriped chambray cocktail number, less is more when you’re pulling off French-inspired style.
4. Find the perfect tailored jacket. No cutting corners on this one. There are few outfits that won’t be transformed into instant chic with the addition of a killer jacket. Pair it with skinnies and flats, belt it around the waist, and find the perfect clutch to carry.
5. Think beyond the skinny jean. French femmes know how to rock a pair of ultra wide leg pants. Pair wide leg jeans with a crop top and a long knit cardigan. A brimmed hat and some silver jewelry and you’re ready to hit the streets.
How do you pull off the French girl look? Let us know on facebook!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: fall denim trends, french girl, french style, how to dress like a french girl, Laurence Doligé, parisian style, patchwork denim, peplum jacket, winter denim trends
For their spring/summer collection, BLEND isn’t going the sunny, sherbet-tinged route that we all know and expect (but still love!). Instead of designing for a day at the beach, the European brand is channeling Parisian springtime. Imagine traipsing through verdant lawns and sunny skies in their slightly boyish outfits, topped off with a precisely applied pop of red lipstick. Sounds great, right? The line focuses on pared down looks, from a dark-rinse A-line dress to gamine-approved cuffed skinnies and striped shirts. The menswear selection is equally cool, drawing inspiration from New England dockyard workers, but looks no less polished. You can tell they’d go great together!
Images via BKRW-Denim
Tags: blend spring summer 2012, dark wash denim, denim workwear, parisian style