Hey NYC! Thursday and Friday this week, take denim shopping to the next level with NYLON Guys and Bloomingdale’s “Denim Days”—a VIP denim shopping event on Thursday March 15th (6PM – 8PM) at the Bloomingdale’s 59th Street (1000 3rd Avenue). Can’t make that one? Never fear! There’s another one at Bloomingdale’s Soho (504 broadway) on Friday the 16th from 5PM – 7PM. Score editors’ styling tips, complimentary snacks, and see the latest collections. See the flier below for more details.
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and inside info! Catch up on what’s happening and browse our personal picks for the most interesting what-not that turns up during our morning web crawl. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
2. Civilianaire just launched an online store! They offer a large selection of men’s clothing, from denim to twills, knits, outerwear, and basics. The women’s offering is slightly less, but it includes jeans, and that’s what matters.
When Denim Therapy was hanging out at the NYLON Guys’ VIP shopping event at Bloomingdales last week, we had the chance to chat up Kevin Harter, Vice President of men’s fashion direction, after he had a go at the old fashioned carnival games and was cheered by his enthused employees. We’ve gotta say, he’s a charmer! Here’s what he had to say about what’s happening in denim now.
Kevin Harter: Hello Denim Therapy!
Denim Therapy: Hello! We want to know what you’re excited about this season in denim.
KH: That denim is back, actually. We’re seeing guys get back into jeans and become denim snobs again, which is nice.
DT: We totally agree.
KH: Yeah, and we’re seeing different personalities emerge in denim—all we saw for a while were skinny jeans and now we’re seeing the straight leg and the boot cut come back, we’re seeing colored denim come back… and one thing I think is really exciting is that we’re seeing more corduroy…
DT: Yes! We love cords. What are some recent consumer trends you’re seeing right now?
KH: Definitely colored denim and corduroy.
DT: Awesome. So, what are you going to be for Halloween?
KH: An auto-mechanic! I wear a suit all the time, so it’s nice to get out of it.
Missed out on anything this week? We make catching up easy with our round up of the most exciting blog posts we cooked up for you in the past seven days. You’re welcome!
1. The Coveted Showcases Fashion Editors’ Denim—Hot-off-the-press fashion still life photography website The Coveted showcases the closet-innards of big names in fashion, like Joanna Hillman, Mary Kate Steinmiller, and Keith Pollock.… Keep Reading! ?
2. NYLON Guys January 2011: Menswear Denim Scan—We popped in the AGENDA show on its last day of operation and in the midst of menswear madness, snagged a copy of NYLON Guys January 2011. We did a quick scan for denim details… Keep Reading! ?
3. Summer is Bershka S/S’11 Campaign—The title says it all, Summer is Bershka! With a youthful incandescence and sense of humor this Spring/Summer 2011 campaign is perfection! We’re loving the eclectic mix of Americana meets collegiate, meets western, meets grunge, meets all kinds of retro, and rock. … Keep Reading! ?
4. Denim Street Looks at European Menswear Shows—Famed photoblogger Tommy Ton just released some street style pics, snapped outside of the recent AW2011 menswear fashion shows in Florence, Milan and Paris. He has been doing double duty for Style.com (pictures below) and GQ.… Keep Reading! ?
5. (Henry) and Belle of the Ball: An Exclusive Interview—Rob Mann, President of Henry and Belle, had the idea for the denim brand as he watched his wife struggle to find suitable jeans. “My wife isn’t going to be interested in jeans designed for a teenager, but she isn’t going to wear mom jeans either”… Keep Reading! ?
6. (capsule) Show Report—We had a blast at the (capsule) show, from meeting/greeting a ton of great retailers to the giant cooler of PBR’s. Top notch menswear was on display from wall to wall, floor to floor, and the denim was absolutely delicious. Brands like Natural Selection, Han Kjobenhavn, Onia, Number Lab, and many more showed their wares… Keep Reading! ?
We popped in the AGENDA show (a show which promises to showcase everything from “garage-run lines on the verge of explosion to the established elite”) on its last day of operation and in the midst of menswear madness, snagged a copy of NYLON Guys January 2011. We did a quick scan for denim details in the (we must say, fantastic) issue, and snapped shots of them for your viewing pleasure. Scroll down for a quick dose of menswear denim dessert to follow your lunch break…
“Rags to Riches”, an editorial piece on new menswear label Penny Stock features photo of designer John Moore (alongside fellow designer Michael Abbey) sporting the classic breast-pocket denim jacket. Their line, inspired by the classic penny loafers, is really picking up steam…
The results of Levi’s collaborations with various labels to reinvent the classic denim trucker jacket are reported on page 38, featuring the Levi’s Workwear by Pendleton, modeled by Chris Rayner.
Writer Alan Bissett of Glasgow rocks a pair of dark wash skinny jeans and bright white dress shoes in a feature on the city’s coolest young artists, musicians, and visionaries. And let’s not forget the top hat.
The street style corner houses a handful of sharply dressed gents with experimental hair and super-skinny jeans. Vests, wool-lined leather and denim jackets, and killer shoes that could be just as much formal as they are street, are also common.
In a feature on lined boots, an easy fitting pair of Marc by Marc Jacobs jeans are modeled by music producer Briane Hatcher.
A feature on earth-toned jeans on page 84 has us craving an organic mid-winter color story. We love the picks by Diesel, J Brand, Rare Man, and Edun.
A puff jacket roundup (those are coming back into style, by the way) features a great pair of Bullhead jeans on club promoter/skateboarder Caleb Keller. We love his style—the quintessential downtown New Yorker.
A gorgeous winter fashion editorial singing praise to layered cashmere, flannel, and some of the warmest textiles a guy can bury himself in while still remaining stylish features model Max Krieger in TOPMAN, Steven Alan, Rachel Comey, American Apparel, and Marc by Marc Jacobs.
We could go on forever (such as in depth coverage of the incredibly sexy Paz De La Huerta and her imperial name), but we want you to buy the issue and see for yourself! Subscribe digitally or in-print to NYLON Guys here.
What a slogan or photo shoot simply cannot do, videos can. Here is a very cool animation by Levi’s depicting the evolution of their signature Trucker jacket. A long-standing symbol of industrial fashion and working class chic, this Americana classic has seen many forms, both from the design label itself and via adaptations of those who wear it. Shown across a range of landscapes (fabricated entirely out of denim textures—look closely!) and worn by a spectrum of loyal customers, it’s both sentimental and technically impressive to behold.