We can’t bring ourselves to spring the 80-something bucks to test a pair of these, so if you or someone you know has experienced the fit and feel first-hand, send them our way! We’d like to ask them a few Q’s.
When you hear the term “mom jeans,” we’re betting your initial reaction is something along the lines of a guttural, “Ugh.” But does it have to be? Spanish style blogger Laura took her vintage mom jeans and made them look not-so-unflattering with a sheer, tropical shirt, wedges, and BAMF sunglasses. Some people can definitely pull off this look, but we’re not sold that it’s for everyone. So let’s revisit the question: mom jeans—yeah or nay?
Images via Views, by Laura
Tags: high-waisted jeans, how to style it, how to wear mom jeans, mom jeans, would you wear it
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and inside info! Catch up on what’s happening and browse our personal picks for the most interesting what-not that turns up during our morning web crawl. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Miley Cyrus successfully reminded us all why we stopped wearing mom jeans after the ’90s. This pair needs some modification if they’re going to do her any favors.
2. JET Jeans has released three new neon styles for spring: yellow, green, and pink.
3. Aaand another designer with new colors to report: Jimmy Taverniti has a spectrum of great new hues to pick from in styles like the classic cut-off short, cropped boyfriend jeans, ankle-length skinnies, and more.
4. Wrangler Europe‘s latest lookbooks are out for men and women’s spring 2012 styles. They also have a campaign video that embodies the hook of this season: Get Your Edge Back.
5. The Tenue de Nîmes team boasts a recent trip to “denim heaven”, AKA Los Angeles, CA. We’re looking forward to seeing their coverage of the trip over the next couple weeks.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: acid wash jeans, colored denim, JET Jeans, jimmy taverniti, Miley Cyrus, mom jeans, neon jeans, Tenue De Nîmes, Wrangler Europe
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. Check out what’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. You may recall that we’re fixated on fur x denim this fall-–so Terry Richardson’s campaign shoot for Japanese brand Moussy has us head over heels.
2. American Apparel is now making jeans for men, but they’re being likened to Mom Jeans. We’ll wait and see how long it takes to see them all over Bedford ave.
3. “Warp and Weft: A Snapshot of Raw Denim In The United States” is a raw denim documentary that’s in production and in need of funding. You can help out at their kickstarter page. This documentary is aiming to educate consumers about raw denim, suitable for everyone from beginners to experts.
4. The Denim Guy found the cutest pair of denim sneakers ever—lace-up velcro kicks with a saturated blue denim fabrication. They’re under $100 and available at Revolve.
5. Not Your Daughter’s Jeans is releasing limited edition jeans for Breast Cancer Awareness month. The “Marilyn Make a Difference Jean” is a straight-leg classic fit that flatters all figures. They retail at $120 and will be available at Nordstrom and Not Your Daughter’s Jeans.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: American Apparel, denim sneakers, Japanese denim, limited edition jeans, men's jeans, mom jeans, Moussy, Not Your Daughter's Jeans, raw denim documentary, terry richardson, warp and weft
Hollywood is experiencing a baby boom. We can’t name all the celebrity moms right now, because there are just too many this year! We did, however, pick out several stylish moms from the past year to present, for their daring denim looks that ranged from barely pregnant to “ready to pop.” Who rocked their celebrity mom look the best? Plus, we’ve provided pointers on how to extend the wear of your jeans from baby bump to the last weeks of pregnancy.
MATERNITY JEANS, FOUR STYLES
1. If you’re still in love with skinny jeans like veteran mom Victoria Beckham, then you won’t have to miss out: this stretchy maternity version with full-belly support keeps your denim in place. A blazer with fitted sleeves adds a slimming and polished touch. AG Jeans Secret Fit Belly™ skinny jeans ($165) – buy it at Destination Maternity.
2. A low rise jean with a belly band provides comfort and support, which you’ll need for the latter months. Paired with a fluid boxy tee, and you’ll be supermodel chic like Gisele in an instant! True Religion ‘Billy’ maternity straight leg jeans ($248) – buy it at Sierra Lane Maternity.
3. Baby it’s hot outside! First time moms-to-be Kimberly Stewart and Natalie Portman stay cool and breezy in their denim shorts. All you need is a tank top and a sheer Winter Kate cover up for that festival chic look. Joe’s Jeans Secret Fit Belly™ 5 pocket maternity shorts ($125) – buy it at Destination Maternity.
4. Jessica Alba and Kate Hudson like their wide leg jeans, and you will, too, with discreet side elastic panels. No matter what top you wear with your jeans, make sure it’s extra long to allow for optimum belly coverage. J Brand ‘The Love Story Maternity’ bell bottom ($195) – buy it at J Brand Jeans.
Still having a hard time finding the right pair of maternity jeans? For many women, it is still possible to wear regular jeans—particularly very low rise jeans—through the second trimester, as long as they’re still comfortable. After that, consider the Maternity Service by Denim Therapy ($60): turn your jeans into the perfect maternity jeans!
It’s a round-trip package: once the baby is born, Denim Therapy can turn your jeans back to the way they were. Learn more about the Denim Therapy Maternity Service.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: celebrity fashion, celebrity mothers, custom jeans, Gisele Bundchen, jeans therapy, Jessica Alba, kate hudson, Kimberly Stewart, maternity jeans, maternity style, mom jeans, Natalie Portman, pregnant, Victoria Beckham