We were just drooling over the wonderful vintage images from the latest collaboration between Mister Freedom x Sugar Cane. This inspired collection takes its roots from men of the frontier period, which include Hopi, Apache and miners, dressed in all their ruggedness. The MFSC Spring 2012 Collection of blouses, britches, vests, shirts and pantaloons (in indigo and sand colored selvedge denim twill) are not replicas but “a combination of imported European fabric styles and detailing, adapted patterns and silhouettes from the late 1800’s up to the 1930’s.” If you want to purchase pieces from this collaboration, you’ll have to call. Their online shop is still in the works; which to us, only makes us covet the denim even more. Check out the gallery for the curated images.
For more information, go to
. To order, call John or Jordan at (323) 653-2014 or mail
to get yours while they last. Internationally shipping available.
These indigo “Boro” ties from Mister Freedom are the perfect gift to get for your guy this holiday season. They’re made from an assortment of fabrics so they’re easy to match with the rest of your wardrobe. We love how the colors are broken up by either bursts of red or a print, so even if the rest of your outfit is monotone, these ties will spice it up. What makes this tie a really cool gift though is that they are all handmade in their LA studio, so no two are alike. Make your guy will feel extra special and get this very limited, one-of-a-kind gift by emailing john or jordan @misterfreedom.com.
Images via Mister Freedom.
Tags: Denim Menswear, denim ties, gifts for guys, handmade ties, holiday gifts, la, los angeles, Mister Freedom
Even the ladies at DT get excited when Mister Freedom updates their blog with new product. Is it the magenta packaging? The impeccable craftsmanship? The thrill of limited edition jeans? Maybe all three. The latest to be showcased is the fifth and final installement of the Mister Freedom American Sportswear collection: Californian Blue Jeans Lot.44. Made of New Old Stock selvedge denim from the MF archives, this collection involves about 35 different kinds of denim, created on an old shuttle loom. The textiles originate from Japan and the USA (you can see a color chart here).
These jeans are inspired by original 1950s cut and fit, with a back cinch strap, and a clear message: “These blue jeans are NOT skinnies, as we don’t dig the ‘men in tights’ or “girlfriend’s jeans” thingy.” See the jeans below.
Buy them here.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Californian Blue Jeans Lot.44, denim for men, limited edition denim, mens denim, menswear, Mister Freedom, raw denim
Cowboys are the epitome of ruggedness and strength, so what better way to clad yourself in their style than with the toughest, purestform of denim: raw. The Mister Freedom brand — “A fine and solid product… guaranteed to make heads turn” — has just released the perfect adaptation of the all-American man’s version of a suit and tie, and we are absolutely in love. From the retro packaging to the gritty ads, Mister Freedom has hit the bullseye. And, because it comes in black, brown, striped twill, and the classic dark indigo, you can literally wear it with anything. Giddyup!
Tags: blouse, cowboy, menswear, Mister Freedom, raw denim, shirt, Western
We get really excited when we’re writing about Mister Freedom. Maybe it’s their irresistible photography, saturated-yet-flawlessly- vintage-looking color stories, attention to detail from the top to the bottom of each denim garment, or the rugged Americana aesthetic. Whatever’s seducing us, we never get bored of stopping by their website to see what well-dressed gentlemen will be treated to with each new release. This time, we’re enchanted by the Mister Freedom® x Sugar Cane “AMERICAN SPORTSWEAR” Chambray shirts: A slim fit men’s shirt in a bright palette of earthy, yet powerful hues, contrast details, available in solids and stripes.
But their visual appeal is just part of the reason they’re special. Check out the story behind their production:
“This Sportswear collection is all MADE in USA, an humble effort to keep factories busy at home, and to spend hard earned $ locally… We chose NOS (New Old Stock, aka dead stock) fabrics for a lot of the items, selected from our collected stock of American vintage selvedged textiles. Not the easiest approach to manufacturing, since factories dread small batches, eclectic instructions, mixed fabric width and time consuming specific cut/sew…We took the risks of the high road, and hope some will appreciate the efforts.”
While the description on the website is lengthy, if you read it, you’ll see that Mister Freedom has a rare and intimate understanding of their customer, of their fabrics, fits, and mission. We love to see companies that maintain this standard of old fashioned service and personal touch.
This shirt retails at $199.95, and you can own one by calling (323) 653-2014 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (while they last).
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Americana, Chambray Shirt, colored chambray, Denim Menswear, denim workshirt, made in america, Mister Freedom, pinstripe
When it comes to mens’ shoes, can you seriously say you can get by with only one pair? We all want that “everyday shoe” but stylistically, it can’t always work. We need a pair for work, a pair for working out, a pair for looking stylish while working on your movie script at the coffee shop, and maybe a pair for just walking the dog, because who knows who might be watching, no? Whatever the occasion, we found a multitude of denim and chambray shoes worthy of receiving indigo bleed on your selvedge jeans. And what’s more, you’d look pretty darn hot in them this summer. Are you going to get yourself some?
1. Mister Freedom x Palladium® “La Chaussure” Palladenim boots ($149.95) – buy it at Mister Freedom.
2. Diesel Exposure Low Washed Plimsolls ($74.13) – buy it at ASOS.
3. Supra Chambray Thunder Sneaker ($70) – buy it at Urban Outfitters.
4. Creative Recreation Porello in Chambray Denim ($90) – buy it atREVOLVE Clothing.
5. Diesel Expoband Sneakers ($160) – buy it at SSENSE.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Creative Recreation, denim shoes, denim sneakers, Diesel, Mister Freedom, Palladium boots, selvedge shoes, Supra shoes
On Tuesday, Women’s Wear Daily (WWD) held a Denim Forum at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles, to bring together some of the fashion industry’s top denim designers, innovators and emerging influencers for keynotes on trends, markets to watch and marketing strategies. Speakers included the denim industry’s pioneers and top executives: Maurizio Donadi (Levi’s XX), Fran?ois Girbaud (Marith?+Fran?ois Girbaud), Adriano Goldschmied, Ron Herman, Peter Kim (Hudson Jeans), Paul Marciano (Guess, Inc.), Stefano Rosso (Diesel SpA), Jeff Rudes (J Brand), and many others.
From left: Adriano Goldschmied, Paul Marciano and Fran?ois Girbaud.
Images courtesy Stefanie Keenan/Women’s Wear Daily. Special thanks to Johnny Pinto, The Denim Guy.
Stay tuned for further coverage of the WWD Denim Forum, coming to you next week!
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Adriano Goldschmied, Citizens of Humanity, Denim Forum, denim summit, Diesel jeans, Francois Girbaud, Guess jeans, Hudson Jeans, J Brand, Jeff Rudes, levi's xx, Maurizio Donadi, Mister Freedom, Paul Marciano, Peter Kim, Ron Herman, Stefano Rosso, WWD
Missed out on any of our stellar denim coverage this week? We make catching up easy with our round up of the most exciting blog posts we cooked up for you in the past seven days. You’re welcome!
1. We Love The Mister Freedom Striped Denim Tote—Lug your ipad and affects around in this new Mister Freedom denim tote, made with 100% cotton denim twill in a navy-esque blue and white stripe.… Keep Reading! ?
2. Colombiatex Debuts Recycled Plastic Eco-Denim—The Colombian textile industry is revving up for an eco-focused surge in business with the release of “EcoDenim” at the recent Colombiatex Show (the regions largest textile trade show). The textile is partially made from recycled plastic bottles and open the door further for the eco-fashion movement that’s been firing up in the fashion world… Keep Reading! ?
3. Levi’s x Opening Ceremony Exclusively at Levi’s Plaza—We recently wrote about the new Levi’s Chambray x Opening Ceremony collaboration, and now you can nab yourself some at its new brick and mortar location, which quietly opened last month at Levi’s Plaza in San Francisco (1155 Battery St.)… Keep Reading! ?
4. Lindsey Wixson In Moussy’s Spring Campaign—Lindsey Wixson dons head to toe denim for the Moussy spring campaign, and while this doesn’t necessarily make us croon like the Abbey Lee Kershaw Moussy campaign did, we think this one is pretty smokin’ too… Keep Reading! ?
5. Window Shopper New York City: Yellow Rat Bastard—The largest location of the Yellow Rat Bastard chain resides in Soho, NY. The urban street wear line based the concept of their store on a Sin City comic, so the graphic details and dark windows make a lot of sense… Keep Reading! ?
6. Paris Hilton in Black Orchid Denim on Valentines Day—Paris Hilton was seen leaving Boa restaurant on Valentine’s Day wearing Black Orchid’s “Black Majesty Jegging” in Equinox wash, hand in hand with her leading man. We’re loving this super-sweet red and black heart tee… Keep Reading! ?
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: best denim blog, best denim posts, black orchid denim, Colombiatex, denim news, eco-denim, Japanese denim, Levi’s, Levi’s x Opening Ceremony, Lindsey Wixson, Mister Freedom, Moussy, Paris Hilton, valentines day, yellow rat bastard
Lug your ipad and affects around in this new Mister Freedom denim tote, made with 100% cotton denim twill in a navy-esque blue and white stripe. If it looks rather French, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The design for this tote was inspired by the late 1800′s French Military shoulder bag. You don’t have to go to war, but you can look just as cool a utility-rigged soldier!
At 13” x 10.5” x 3”, there’s plenty of room to carry the things you need all day, whether your gadgets are all-in-one or you travel like a walking office. Grab your own at Mister Freedom for $129.95.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: denim tote, french, military, Mister Freedom, Spring 2011, striped, stripes