From the time denim hit the market as functional, industrial uniforms to the moment skinny jeans became a staple in every woman’s closet, denim has always been a must-have. No closet is complete without a pair of worn-in, comfy boyfriend jeans — nor a pair of fierce dark wash jeans for days when you want to turn heads and take numbers. But it’s the celebrity denim culture that also fuels our love of amazing jeans. Seeing women like Miranda Kerr, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Kate Upton rocking our favorite brands in new and exciting (and sometimes totally off-duty) ways keeps us craving denim in our wardrobes. Harpers Bazaar takes a look at some of the ultimate jean queens of our current culture.
Left to right: Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in Frame Denim, Miranda Kerr in J Brand, Kate Upton in black skinnies (brand unknown).
Miranda Kerr reminds us that sex sells, and it sells denim, even when she’s not wearing any pants! The Victoria’s Secret model wore Bluemarine denim in a Vogue Italia spread, sporting bleach blonde hair with blunt bangs and never too many articles of clothing at once. In one shot she appears topless in a vest, while in another, she goes bottomless. The thing is, she’s selling women’s jeans. Does this make you want to shop, ladies? Let us know on facebook or sound off on twitter.
See the full set of images at Denimology.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Blumarine, miranda kerr, miranda kerr topless, victoria's secret angel, vogue italia
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. Check out what’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Award winning designer Felipe Oliveira Baptista, graduate of Kingston University Fashion Design, launched his own line in 2003. His spring 2012 collection brings a new level of femininity to layering denim.
2. Fidelity Denim has released a limited edition red women’s skinny jean in recognition of World AIDS day (December 1st, 2011). 100% of profits from sales will be donated to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation.
3. The verdict is in… Beyonce‘s maternity denim of choice is J Brand!
4. In the latest installment of the rag & bone DIY campaign, Miranda Kerr is photographed in denim by Lily Aldridge and Orlando Bloom.
5. Brazilian denim brand Osklen, who previously suffered a massive fire in 2010 which destroyed their headquarters and their history, have made a comeback.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: beyonce, Brazilian denim brand, diy campaign, felipe oliveira baptista, Fidelity Denim, J Brand, lily aldridge, maternity jeans, miranda kerr, orlando bloom, osklen, rag & bone, spring 2012 collection, world AIDS day