Following celebrity denim style is always a roller coaster of viewing fun, but sometimes we gotta feel bad for celebs who, by the looks of things, had a fight with their stylists (or just left the house in a rush, disregarding basics re: proportion and color). Below are three looks we think we could fix with a bit of tweaking. The denim might be amazing, but if it were that simple, we’d all look like celebs all the time! Don’t get caught making these mistakes.
Victim #1: Jessica Alba
At first glance the black and pink color scheme of this outfit is an instant eye-pleaser (she’s rocking a pair of 7 For All Mankind cropped neon pink skinnies—$169), so you nod and move on. But something is off. It’s because every garment she is wearing in this photo is “cropped”. Cropped-sleeve t-shirt, cropped skinny jeans, cropped leather vest. Too much cropping! One other minor infraction? The ugly pointed-flats don’t really jive with the rest of the look.
The fix: Roll up the sleeves or trade them in for a tank top. Lose either the leather vest or the rocker-flats. Switch one of these out for something more neutral, like a knit cardigan vest or shoes with more daytime appeal.
Image via Denim Blog.
Victim #2: Lindsay Lohan
Lindsay is a hot mess, and that’s why we love reading about her on blogs, but she also wears a lot of cool denim. Unfortunately, she’s not always in her right mind (and we can only assume that applies to when she gets dressed in the morning too). Here she does a decent job despite looking like Andy Warhol (we guess it’s her wind-swept hair). Her overall problem? This look is way older than she is.
The fix: She wears a pair of gorgeous Rag & Bone “Bell” jeans in burn orange ($70), but they need a hem job badly. The tailored blazer is pretty cool, but she needs to roll up those sleeves to avoid looking consumed by it. We won’t comment on the glasses since that was clearly the point of her ensemble, but we do suggest she put her hair up in a loose bun higher on her head so she doesn’t give off the unstable substitute teacher vibe.
Image via Denimology.
Victim #3: Miranda Crosgrove
First, disclaimer. We’re obsessed with M2F, and it ain’t easy to make one of their gorgeous colored denim jackets look bad. But Miranda Crosgrove came dangerously close with this look. She dwarfed her figure with a long skirt/crop jacket combo, and then punctuated her elfin appearance with flat buckled boots.
The fix: This fix is impossibly easy. The dress is the problem. It’s beautiful, but not with this jacket/tights/boots combo. We’d suggest a shorter dress, and maybe wedge boots.
Image via Denimology.
Comments/thoughts/outfits you want us to inspect? Let us know on facebook!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: celebrity bad outfits, celebrity denim, Jessica Alba, Lindsay Lohan, Miranda Crosgrove, wardrobe malfunction, what not to wear
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and other irresistible glimpses of inside info. Catch up on what’s happening (and what’s definitely not happening) and browse our personal picks after scanning the web this morning. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Lindsay Lohan has already made a big splash with her Playboy cover shoot, but the actress has some other leaked images out…from her fiercely sexy Jag Jeans photo shoot.
2. San Francisco-based shirt company Taylor Stitch is branching out into denim! At $128 a pair, their personally crafted raw denim gets you handmade men’s jeans at a not-exorbitant price.
3. Love hidden images and secrets embedded in your clothing? Stella McCartney‘s new Hawaiian print jeans look tie-dyed from afar, but are really made up of palm trees printed over and over again.
4. Ferrari understands that denim can mean luxury. The car company now offers its customers the choice to line their vehicles with a denim interior.
5. Look out for G-Star Raw’s new campaign come January–it stars French beauty Clémence Poésy, who was just named the new face of the brand.
Tags: clemence poesy, ferrari, G-Star Raw, jag jeans, Lindsay Lohan, men's jeans, printed denim, raw denim, Stella McCartney, taylor stitch
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and other irresistible tid bits of inside info! Catch up on what’s happening (or totally not happening) and browse our personal picks after scanning the web this morning. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Earnest Sewn will be having their end of season sale, beginning on Monday, December 12th! Enjoy 40-60% off online or in a store near you. Visit them online for locations.
UPDATE: The Earnest Sewn sales will also be offered in each of their retail stores. A selection of denim, approximately 50 washes in men’s and 50 washes in women’s will be available at 40% off.
2. Art Basel saw the release of Johan Lindeberg‘s new BLK DNM fragrance, Perfume 11. It’s a unisex scent with hints of “black amber, birch tar, and soft musks (base notes) blend with incense, fir balsam (mid notes) and finally cardamom (top notes) to create a peppery blend.” Get one at BLK DNM.
3. We’re digging some of the new indigo washes at Marc Allison Jeans.
4. James Jeans has a new coutoure denim line out, that promises to flatten your stomach, trim your thighs, slim your butt, and scult your hips. As Lisette of Denimology exclaimed, these sound “better than Spanx!”
5. Lindsay Lohan wears what seems like her first legit “stylish” outfit in years, wearing a pair of Genetic Denim Shane cigarette pants in lava.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: BLK DNM fragrance, Couture jeans, Earnest Sewn, end of season sale, Genetic Denim Shane cigarette pants in lava, indigo washes, James Jeans, Johan Lindeberg, Lindsay Lohan
Both Ashley Greene and Lindsay Lohan were seen in Work Custom Panther Cargo Shorts, and while that means they receive an instant celeb seal of approval, we love a little competition. We wanna know, who wore it best? The fact that both ladies shared similar outfit aesthetics with black t-shirts and moto boots with exposed pockets only heats up the battle! The shorts themselves are edgy and sexy, with zippers and hardware (and this goes without saying, but they’re super short) Comment on our facebook page for the face off!
Tags: Ashley Greene, ashley greene in cargo shorts, cargo shorts, Denim Therapy, Facebook, Lindsay Lohan, lindsay lohan in cargo shorts, work custom cargo shorts, Work Custom Jeans
Missed out on anything this week? We make catching up easy with our round up of the most exciting blog posts we cooked up for you in the past seven days. You’re welcome!
1. Step Sharply! Christian Louboutin Spike Heels—In your journey towards increased bad-assery, you may have come across two materials that proved successful in most instances: spikes, and denim. While the two are usually only seen on the back of Rancid fan jackets in unison, a new era of chic has emerged, and it’s given these classic punk elements a new stage to dance on. Christian Louboutin has introduced the denim spike heel and denim spike loafer… Keep Reading! ?
2. Boy’s Games That Denim Plays—There are two things that will always be true: boys will be boys and denim will be always be our partner in crime. This playful editorial from new wave online magazine The Ones 2 Watch (which showcases the work of some the fashion industry’s up and coming talent from photographers to stylists) makes us want to get out of the city, head to the nearest forest, get rowdy and play rough… Keep Reading! ?
3. One Way or the Other: Reversible Jeans—In the age of shrinking urban closet space and increasing need for innovative looks on the street, this is a refreshing item to add to your arsenal. Bleulab has patented their reversible jeans, which remain functional in their standard fiber thickness (rather than layer two textiles, they are made of one piece of fabric woven to appear contrasting on two sides)… Keep Reading! ?
4. Sportmax Code S/S 2011—With the Holidays done and over with it’s on to the next matter of business: your Spring Summer wardrobe! And one collection you’ll definitely want to get your hands on is Sportmax Code if you want to be on trend. The young and hip label from the Max Mara Group captures the spirit of the seventies with modern high-rise wide leg jeans, double denim looks, and feminine yet bold prints… Keep Reading! ?
5. Sex Sells! Denim of Virtue Spring 2011 Lookbook—The Denim of Virtue spring 2011 lookbook has us literally aching for summer, with acid wash shorts (as short as they come), bleached out gradient jeans with zip side details, boyfriend-cut cargos, high-waisted skirts, and visions of all the lounging we’ll be doing once the winter weather breaks… Keep Reading! ?
6. Lohan is Back in Black—Lindsay Lohan and her assistant Eleanore were spotted together this week in Beverly Hills. Lohan looking fit and happy, the actress wore Black Orchid’s High rise Jeggings in Newton wash with a plaid shirt and accessorized with a cashmere loop scarf and mixed metal chains… Keep Reading! ?
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: best denim, best denim blogs, best denim posts, black orchid, Christian Louboutin, Denim of Virtue, Lindsay Lohan, reversible jeans, spikes and denim, top denim
Lindsay Lohan and her assistant Eleanore were spotted together this week in Beverly Hills. Lohan looking fit and happy, the actress wore Black Orchid’s High rise Jeggings in Newton wash with a plaid shirt and accessorized with a cashmere loop scarf and mixed metal chains- we are totally digging it! Flashing a big smile for the waiting paparazzi (but of course they would be), it seems that Lindsay’s new healthy lifestyle is really paying off (good for you LILO- we hope you can keep up the good looks).
Find Black Orchid Denim at www.blacklabelboutique.com
– Jackie Racer
Tags: Beverly Hills, black orchid, jeggings, Lindsay Lohan, metal chains, new ton, plaid shirt