We stopped by Australia’s NEUW Denim showroom for a FW’12 preview yesterday and got schooled first-hand on what an awesome brand this is. One of three designers, Par Lundqvist, has a massive archive of almost 3,000 pieces of vintage denim. He uses them to establish foundations for the NEUW line, alongside every day denim “circumstances”. A metal ring is attached to the front left belt loop of each pair of jeans, because he once wore a wallet chain, which broke and left just a metal ring in its wake. After some time, it became a part of his jeans, and eventually part of the line.
Washes that emulate a field worker’s sun-bleached jeans (they stay dark blue beneath their belts) and denim that feels and looks like the crisp warm-air dryed jeans you pull off your laundry line in the summer are some of the anecdotal styles we saw. And while the washes are innovative, the inspiration is timeless: music, classic rock’n'roll, old school denim culture. The richly dyed men’s line could dress up James Dean or any of the early denim-clad stars of yesteryear (and they could effortlessly outfit today’s rock gods too).
The women’s denim line is a pretty direct counterpart of the men’s line, with colors and design details in place (a dart in the hem, for example). They branch out with a woven-upholstery inspired motif with great texture and rich hues, and an entire sportswear line that screams “super pretty!” without being too distracting. See for yourself!
More photos below:
Stay tuned for our video interview with designer Par Lundqvist!
Photos by Michelle Christina Larsen
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: australian denim brand, colored denim, fall 2012, indigo dye, james dean, mens denim, Neuw Denim, raw denim, vintage denim
With a dapper-to-the-core, suave fifties vibe, James Jeans men’s spring 2012 lookbook shows off chill and wearable denim that you could easily imagine James Dean rocking in the 21st century. The “Clay” and “Machine Selvage” styles look great with plain white T-shirts (for when you’re fixing up your Harley, obviously), while perfectly tailored midnight black jeans, like the aptly-named “Black Night,” look polished with slim ties and crisp collared shirts. And for the more adventurous, their collection even offers black-coated denim, so you can look like a badass in multiple styles and washes, even if you don’t own a motorcycle.
Images via DenimBlog
Tags: black denim, coated denim, Denim Menswear, james dean, James Jeans, men's jeans, men's shorts, spring 2012 lookbook
Halloween is right around the corner, and if you’re like us, you’ll probably be pulling together a costume frantically the day before. But whether you’re aiming for sexy, scary, or just plain awesome, denim is one no-fail ingredient for a Halloween costume that everyone will love. Need some ideas? That’s why we’re here!
1. Saved By The Bell! For couples, Zack Morris and Kelly Kapowski were the king and queen of jeans at Bayside High.
2. Rawr! A group ensemble based on the cast of Jurassic Park has everything from button-down jean shirts to teens sporting high-waisted mom fits.
3. Rock’n'roll! If you wanna go blue on your own, consider a simple James Dean jean get-up paired with gelled hair, a crisp white shirt, and a leather jacket. Ladies, copy this look verbatim and you can just tell people you’re Lady Gaga dressed as Jo Calderone.
4. Game much? The Mario Bros had the industrial look down to a T with overalls and amazing handlebar mustaches. Who wouldn’t want to wear their look?
5. Hey ya’ll! Diasy Duke‘s short denim cut-offs and tied-up crop top plaid shirt are still an obsession for young women the world over. So forget about modesty. Find yourself a cute button-up top and bare those legs.
6. Peace out! Hippies wore denim all the time and made the world re-think who wears them, and when. Represent a major turning point in the history of jeans by dressing like you parents in the ’60s!
—Sarah Greene & Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: belly bottom jeans, daisy duke, Denim Overalls, halloween costume ideas, hippie costume, james dean, jurassic park, Kelly Kapowski, mario bros, saved by the bell, zack morris
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. Check out what’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. A denim boutique in the UK called Donna Ida is running the Adidas Women’s 5K Challenge in support of the children’s charity Jeans for Genes—an organization that funds research for the care of children with genetic disorders.
2. Now is the time to jump on the colored denim summer trend, with these deeelicious colorful styles in cut-off shorts from J Brand!
3. The Lucky Denim Fall lookbook is out, and features lots of cute cuts and strong, saturated washes.
4. This 5th Requisite Fall 2011 preview brings a bit of that geek-chic into the ladie’s wardrobe (the style we’ve been crazy about on guys lately).
6. Check out this video slideshow of the ever-androgynous Agyness Deyn filling out the shoes of James Dean for Elle magazine.
7. Cameron Diaz promotes her new movie, Bad Teacher, in white cropped J Brand skinny jeans.
Tags: 5th requisite, adidas women's 5k challenge, agyness deyn, Cameron Diaz, colored denim, Elle Magazine, fall lookbook, geek chic, J Brand, james dean, skinny jeans, summer trends, white denim