Earth Day is less than a week away and there are lots of events to check out to participate in for a great learning experience for the whole family. One of the beautiful landmarks of Manhattan, Grand Centrail Terminal, is host to Earth Day New York’s 40th anniversary celebration! Events include a week long exhibit in Vanderbilt Hall and an Earth Fair on Vanderbilt Avenue.
Events scheduled for April 19th-24th, 2010 is as follows:
Historic Grand Central Terminal will be the home base of the 40th Anniversary celebration of Earth Day in New York. Starting on April 19th, Earth Day New York will kick off a week??™s worth of activities at Grand Central Terminal, including a six-day indoor Earth Fair at Vanderbilt Hall, April 19th-24th; and a two-day outdoor festival on Vanderbilt Avenue, April 23rd-24th. This event will also support Earth Day New York??™s newly-launched E Campaign, an ongoing initiative to make every day Earth Day, which includes a short promotional film featuring celebrities such as Matthew Modine, Adrian Grenier and Deepak Chopra.
Major sponsors of Earth Day in New York include the Metropolitan Transportation Authority,Toshiba, Home Depot and Con Edison. Media sponsors, including Planet Green, The New York Post, Metro NY and Treehugger.com have also partnered with Earth Day New York to further spread the message of the E Campaign. With their support, the E Campaign will make its way into every household across the nation with a message that will inspire Americans to talk about what they are doing to ???Be the E.???
Earth Day events at Grand Central Terminal include:
- Earth Fair Indoors: April 19th -24th, 10:00 am-7:00 pm. This week long exhibit in Vanderbilt Hall from will focus on future technologies, sustainable fashion and major informative displays and exhibits, and will be themed ???The City of the Future???. Key elements include:
* The Green Shows EcoLux boutique, a high-fashion boutique selling sustainable clothing from designers such as Samantha Pleet, House of Organics and DLC Brooklyn, among many others.
* Toshiba, partnered with Twitvid, streaming live video from the event to Twitter, and giving out Toshiba Camilo Twitcams to select attendees who participate by uploading their own ???Be the E??? video messages.
* A display of Giant Earth Images, a series of environmentally-themed art and quotes from iconic artists such as Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein and Keith Haring.
- EarthFair Outdoors: April 23rd and April 24th. This two-day festival of art, music and the environment will take place on Vanderbilt Avenue, between 43rd and 45th Streets. A large exhibit area highlighting green businesses, organic food and environmental groups will include interactive displays that not only educate, but provide an opportunity to take positive action. EarthFair also features live musical entertainment including numerous well-known performers and regional bands, and a live action baby Tyrannosaurus Rex from the world-renowned show ???Walking with Dinosaurs???.
A complete listing of Earth Day related events taking place in the New York is available at www.eday40.org.
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Con Edison, Earth Day, Grand Central, Home Depot, Metro NY, Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Planet Green, The New York Post, Toshiba, Treehugger.com