When you stray from the path of generic blue jeans, most people imagine jumping right into the bottomless pit of “denim couture” (ie: opulent denim wedding gowns). But beyond your regular medium-wash, there is a happy medium of styles that can give your look a quirky edge without feeling overboard. Below are nine unconventional pairs of jeans we scouted on Yoox.com that you might consider befriending for a summer of decidedly different denim style.
1. We wish these would lose the rhinestones, but overall the idea of overlapping, faded, colorful international money printed on denim is pretty awesome. Parasuco International Currency Jeans ($118) – buy it now at Yoox.
2. Flower children may have sported intense floral embroidery all over the surface of their denim affects, but these stone-wash jeans have a feel that’s more “art nouveau” than “free love”. D&G Floral-Applique Jeans ($225) – buy it at Yoox.
3. Not entirely against the grain of the white denim trend (which we suppose would actually be black), these white-to-mango ombre skinnies will freshen up any dreary outfit. Maison Martin Margiela two-toned gradient jeans ($240) – buy it at Yoox.
4. We’re pretty sure you could throw these into your suitcase wherever you’re headed this summer, so long as there’s a party going on when you get there. Just Cavalli purple floral & leaves print skinny jeans ($150) – buy it at Yoox.
5. A matte metallic beats out any of the shiny, flashy stuff—if not only because you could actually get away with wearing these to the office. Christian Dior matte metallic skinny jeans ($285) – buy it at Yoox.
6. If you want a little rock’n’roll that could still pass as elegant, you’ve got it. Amen. light-wash jeans with chain detail ($360) – buy it at Yoox.
7. An antique-looking ombre of gorgeous summer sky colors awaits—and we love that these aren’t skinny. Galliano tie-died jeans with studs & logo detail ($215) – buy it at Yoox.
8. Tears, bleach, and lots of stitching. These jeans have been through a lot, but they’re going to kill any stage fright you might have had. ROCK STAR destroyed bleached skinny jeans ($155) – buy it at Yoox.
9. This might be the print on your grandma’s couch in Miami, but we’re pretty sure it’s going to look better on your legs. Versace Jeans Couture printed jeans ($98) – buy it at Yoox.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: amen jeans, Christian Dior, d&g jeans, floral denim, Galliano, Just Cavalli, Maison Martin Margiela, parasuco, rock star denim, versace jeans
Change is meant to challenge us and that is what fashion does best. It is putting something on your body and walking out into public. As Margret Thatcher Ulrich said, “Well behaved women rarely make history.” The same goes for fashion history. You must be daring and have the ability to wear something that you once thought you’d never be caught dead in. In the height of the 90’s flared leg, I swore I’d never touch tapered pants, yet here I sit in my skinny jeans that are tucked into ankle boots. So here is my next challenging trend: heels and socks. I know what you’re thinking, but look at the pictures! It just works.
The contrasting colors, the sophistication of the heels paired with the unexpectedness of a peeping sock all creates this runway-worthy look. And it has been popping up in the latest Spring 2010 shows from the likes of John Galliano to Herm??s. Also seen sporting this look are my classmates at the Fashion Institute of Technology, where staying on top of trends is practically a competition. To change up the look, add cuffed jeans to this ensemble and you are ready to face this new fashion challenge.
— Laura Kealey
Tags: cuffed jeans, Galliano, Hermes