First there was Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake in matching denim at the 2001 American Music Awards. The denim gown on Spears and denim tuxedo on Timberlake are forever ingrained on the impressionable minds of young millennials across the country. Then Katy Perry donned denim in an attempt to tug at the heart strings of her “90′s kids” fans with her date, Riff Raff, at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards. In Perry’s famously kitschy fashion her gown was an obvious homage to the original worn by Spears.
Then Pharell Williams and his wife Helen Lasichanh wore matching double denim outfits last night at the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards and the whole fashion world was entranced once again. This time, however, it appeared the couple updated the double denim look in an honest act of self expression. Pharell was decked out in a white tee, denim jacket and jeans in a matching shade. Lasichanh wore a denim button up shirt trendily buttoned all the way to the top underneath a distressed pair of overalls. Pharell is known for being true to his sense of self and once you remember that he has joined G-Star to create his own line of denim products made from recycled plastics, G-Star RAW for the the Oceans, the denim outfit seems perfectly appropriate.
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and inside info! Catch up on what’s happening and browse our personal picks for the most interesting what-not that turns up during our morning web crawl. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. R29 re-posted (from Style Like U) a perfect summer outfit on heiress Hannah Bronfman in a pair of high-waisted cut-off jean shorts. If you’re not aware of this pro-active, multi-tasking It-girl, read up on her asap.
2. A (not really that) quick look at the history of denim and how it became a staple in virtually everyone’s wardrobe.
3. There are two reasons why G-Star Raw’s Bread & Butter dance/performance runway show is awesome. First, it’s wildly creative. Second, it proves that you can (more than) live your life freely in these clothes.
4. United Stock Dry Goods has a spring 2012 lookbook that embodies a whimsical (but still dude-approved) kind of summer freedom. See a model prance through a field in the handsome clothing, and check out the opening photo. THAT is how crotch blow-outs happen!
5. Need jeans? Want them to be awesome? You’re in luck. We’re giving away two pairs of Meltin’Pot jeans this week—one for the gents, one for the ladies—and all you have to do is a little social media follow and a comment on our blog post. Zing!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: cut-off denim shorts, denim giveaway, free denim, G-Star Raw Bread & Butter, Hannah Bronfman, high-waisted shorts, history of denim, meltin'pot jeans, spring 2012 lookbook, united dry stock goods