We’ve got to say, double denim (or the Canadian Tuxedo, if you will), is sort of a standard for us at this point. We don’t bat an eyelash if we’re strolling through Brooklyn and spot someone stylishly sporting this mono-denim combo. WWD says it’s only just getting revved up, though, and it may be that the two-toned denim-on-denim trend is about to streamline into same-wash territory. Excited? Horrified? Either way, click through to see their slide show and figure out whether this trend progression is for you.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Canadian Tuxedo, Denim On Denim, denim trends 2013, double denim, WWD
Rumi Neely of fashiontoast, is a street style blogger we can’t stop stalking. This week Rumi shows us how to dress up a double denim look. It’s true you can never go wrong with a pair of Ksubi cut off shorts, but the added denim blazer just pours on the elegance. What do you pair your denim blazer with?
Get the look below!
Below: Acne Blake Chambray Blazer / Ksubi Cutoff Shorts / Tom Ford Campbell / Madewell V-neck Pocket Tee
Images via fashiontoast.
Tags: cut off shorts, denim blazer, double denim, fashion toast, rumi neely
Mjölk Homme’s latest lookbook is all about cool denim duds with a modernized laid back 70s vibe that is totally beach-ready—surfer hair and all! And though you might have to wait a bit to actually hit the surf (or the seaside for that matter) you can definitely introduce the casual-cool styling into your wardrobe today. In fact, we’ll in full support of wearing the boxy fits now, especially if its anything close to Mjölk’s dark double denim look! Check out the full lookbook bellow.
Images via Mjolk.
Tags: 70's style, beach vibe styles, dark denim, Denim Menswear, double denim, Mjolk, Mjolk Homme, Mjolk Homme Spring 2012
Popular style blogger Andy Torres of Style Scrapbook spent her warm New Year’s eve rocking a double denim outfit, while visiting family in Mexico. Never boring, Andy went for a bright red pair of skinny jeans by Zara, to complement her DIY denim shirt. At first, we thought her sleeves were the result of an ombré dip-dye project, but we soon learned she did a chop job by sewing on bleached sleeves (which does have a subtle ombré effect), three-quarters of the way down. This girl’s got talent!
Are you in love with how Andy is working the color trend throughout her outfit? We don’t all know how to sew (nor have time to, if we could!), so we’ve pulled together a few pieces to mimic Andy’s fab look! Layer a white button down under a denim shirt (with blue sleeves rolled up), et voilà!
GET THE LOOK…
1. Prairie Winds Top ($29.99) – buy it at ModCloth.
2. Guess? Brittney Jeans in Red Hot Overdye ($98) – buy it at Guess.
3. Tribal Rights necklace ($98) – buy it at Bauble Bar.
4. ASOS Monroe Platform Creeper shoe ($136.35) – buy it at ASOS.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Andy Torres, Chambray Shirt, denim DIY, denim shirt, denim style, double denim, red jeans, Style Scrapbook
Not feeling dark shades this winter? We aren’t either! But lets face it, sometimes it’s hard not to result to black during the cooler seasons. An easy way to keep your wardrobe on the bright side is to mix and match different shades of denim and by adding interest to any look with interesting prints and patterns. Mohcine Aoki does just that by styling a cool fair isle sweater with a not so matchy, matchy double denim ensemble (we really dig his light washed denim jacket!). To ensure you keep things bright, style in accessories with pops of color and in warmer shades like brown instead of black.
1. Topman ecru geometric pattern sweater ($60) — buy it at Topman.
2. Levi’s hop cap boots ($272) — buy it at ASOS.
3. Miracle Icons tourmaline bead bracelet ($115) — buy it at Barneys Co-Op.
4. Ksubi The Roadie skinny jean ($215) — buy it at American Rag.
5. Acne Steve Pearl denim jacket ($240) — buy it at SSENSE.
Tags: bright winter looks, Denim Menswear, double denim, fair isle prints, Men's Street Style
One of the hottest and most wearable trend of the season is definitely the western-meets-bohemian look. So far we’ve shown you hot to rock it with bold prints and scantly denim shorts shorts, but now that it’s getting a bit more chilly we figure you might want to add a layer or two. We love this girls take on this trend, so we broke it down for you for some food for thought. Her double denim look gets a cozy revamp with a oversized chunky knit sweater thrown over. An on-trend floppy hat, worn in suede booties, and gold accessories add the perfect western flare without going overboard.
1. Textile Elizabeth & James bleached out denim shirt ($175) — buy it at Net-A-Porter.
2. Adriano Goldschmied premiere skinny jeans ($165) — buy it at American Rag.
3. Gap floppy hat ($25) — buy it at The Gap.
4. Ugg Austin western bootie ($200) — buy it at Zappos.
5. Stolen Girlfriends Club chunky knit sweater ($423) — buy it at Coggles.
Street style image via Stockhom Street Style.
Tags: AG Adriano Goldschmied skinny jeans, Bohemian style, double denim, floppy hat, Gap, gold accessories, How to wear it, oversized chunky knit sweater, Stolen Girlfriends Club, Street Style, TEXTILE Elizabeth & James, Ugg western bootie, Western bohemian look, Western Denim Looks, western style
We love the double-denim look on both guys and gals, but it can get a bit industrial with all of that blue jean in the mix. So, how do you soften the look and make it cute enough to wear on a first date? Take a hint from Le Blog de Betty, one of our favorite fashion bloggers! She paired this pair of adorable ballerina slippers (complete with bow) with her Lee jeans and denim workshirt. The result? Très jolie!
Images via Le Blog de Betty.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Denim On Denim, denim styling tip, double denim, fall style, le blog de betty, Street Style
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. Check out what’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. We know Kate Moss can more or less do whatever she wants, but we’re pretty sure this denim-on-denim almost-the-same-but-not-quite-the-same light wash ensemble is a big no-no. The black boots/black hat/black belt punctuation is pretty bad too. Come on, Kate!
2. We love the relaxed fit of the jeans in this super modern, urban and beautiful fall collection by Israeli brand Mandinka.
3. Hudson Jeans’ refreshing lookbook concept for spring 2012 is a stop-motion video comprised of many photos of a model wearing the jeans. Super cool (and we bet it saved them some money).
4. See what a good, worn-in pair of jeans looks like over at Dr. Denim.
5. This editorial in VS magazine’s september issue might have ridiculous ’90s hair that makes us feel like we’re in an overtly sexy episode of Saved By The Bell, but there’s a whole lot of perfectly distressed, gorgeous denim to oogle at.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Denim On Denim, Distressed Jeans, double denim, Hudson Jeans, Kate Moss, mandinka, spring 2012 lookbook, vs magazine
Rising star of the season Leebo Freeman poses for the Tribeca Jeans Fall Winter 2011 lookbook clad in some of the brands most killer denim duds, officially making him our newest bonafide denim muse (and crush) here at DT. Other workwear staples like plaid and puffer jackets are thrown into the mix of double denim outfits for the perfect on-trend fall look. Our favorite piece? Undoubtedly this perfect light wash denim t-shirt, perfect for any wardrobe.
Images via The Fashionisto.
Tags: Denim Menswear, denim t-shirt, double denim, fall 2011 denim styles, Fall 2011 denim trends, Leebo Freman, Tribeca, Tribeca Fall 2011, Tribeca Fall 2011 Lookbook, workwear fashion, workwear style