Whether you’re heading back to school in the fall or just need a cute way to tote your essentials around, these 90s acid wash backpacks from Topshop are the perfect fit. We love the colorful dip-dye ombre effect and the fact that they’re less than $100 a pop! Which one is your favorite?
From left to right: green dip-dye backpack; turquoise dip-dye backpack; pink dip-dye backpack
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: 90s style, acid wash, denim backpacks, dip dye, ombre
Feel that insane heat and blinding sunshine? Summer’s on the way, and we’re counting down the reasons we’re excited to bust out our favorite warm weather denim for a season of super-stylish fun in the sun.
Note: We know, these tie-dye shorts are amazing. Grab them at Nasty Gal.
1. No other season permits this spectrum of neons, tie-dyes, and brightly colored jeans be set free from your closet and paraded down the boardwalk. Don’t hold back on your favorite colors, whether you favor pastels or saturated electric hues.
2. What’s scandalous in the spring is common practice in the summer. It’s the only season where your cut-off shorts can resemble a bikini bottom in shortness and no one will think twice about it.
3. DIY! Cutting, slashing, distressing, dip-dying and applique are just a few of the ways you can take a pair of jeans you loved all winter and turn them into a summer dream. Need some ideas? Try this DIY.
4. The simple perfection of the basic jeans and a t-shirt combo is amplified in the summer, and while we love fall layering, this no-fail formula that dates back to denim’s pop culture debut is still a staple in looking fresh and “classic cool”.
5. Finally, it’s great to know that while this summer’s outdoor adventures might harm your jeans—from hiking to camping on the beach, or even dancing manically at summer music festivals—we’ll be right here waiting to fix them back up for you.
Get ready for an amazing summer, and remember us if you need expert denim repair, tailoring, shopping advice, and all things denim.
Tags: cut off shorts, denim shorts, dip dye, DIY, sexy jeans, summer 2012, summer denim, tie dye
Siwy Denim‘s spring denim collection is as sassy and fierce as ever, with colored denim options to brighten up your wardobe in a snap. Our favorite of the bunch? Dip-dyed cut-off shorts, perfect for pairing with filmy summer tanks, bandeau tops at the beach, or even a tailored blazer to rock at a (fashion-forward) summer internship.
Below: Alia in Tropical Ice / Camilla in Sunrise / Camilla in Air Kiss
Check out how we would style each pair for a breezy summer look below…
Below: Alia in Tropical Ice / Alice & Olivia Top / The Row Sunglasses / Dolce Vita Archer Flat Sandals
Below: Essie Steel-ing The Scene Polish / Topshop Crop Top / Camilla in Sunrise /Steve Madden Sandals
Below: Camilla in Air Kiss / Dasher Pointelle Sweater / ASOS Chain Bracelet / Whamm Espadrille Wedges
Shop Siwy Denim online and keep up with them on facebook.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: cut off shorts, destroyed denim, dip dye, Siwy Denim, spring 2012, spring style, tie dye
Studs, fringe, ombre, stars & stripes… list these elements in a row and you might imagine the ultimate overkill, but Kill City Jeans has mastered the art of quintessential rock’n’roll. Their denim, 80% of which is manufactured domestically, is shredded, studded, dyed, and treated to appeal to your inner badass. Both sexes are treated to plenty of color and texture (with the colors desaturated and the texture well-played), and more basic washes for days where you don’t feel like dressing for a music video.
The men’s line comes in three basic fits and features wax coats, reverse mineral wash, and distressed yarn-dyed styles. The women’s line is a bit more playful, including (our favorite) purple ombre cut-off shorts, ready to be DIY’d (they even come with a bag of studs). Best sellers like the navajo print and stars & stripes jeans continue to lead the collection, but this is a good place to start if you’re looking to expand way beyond the generic blue jean for spring this year.
Photos by Raffael Flores-Contreras.
Check out Kill City Jeans online.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: colored denim, denim trends, dip dye, distressed denim, DIY, Kill City Jeans, ombre, project show, spring 2012, studded denim, wax coated jeans
We love handmade gifts (a few of us are even devout DIY-ers here at DT), so when we decided to put together a gift guide this year, we thought, why make one of them a round-up of cool and crafty denim items! This way you support an independent artist/designer by purchasing, or get some ideas to make your own. Check out our picks from Etsy below.
1. Denim wallet ($34) – buy it at Etsy.
2. Fingerless Denim Gloves with Wooden Buttons ($25) – buy it at Etsy.
3. P.S. I LOVE YOU Denim Postcard ($12) – buy it at Etsy.
4. Hand Made Cotton Rag Rug Runner ($110) – buy it at Etsy.
5. Denim Patchwork Sofa ($2,000) – buy it at Etsy.
6. Men’s Denim Neckwarmer ($17.50) – buy it at Etsy.
7. Vintage LEVIS Purple dip-dyed shorts ($60) – buy it at Etsy.
8. Organic denim wrap skirt ($118) – buy it at Etsy.
9. Dark Blue Denim Bowtie ($23) – buy it at Etsy.
10. Denim Tool Apron (for kids) ($12.50) – buy it at Etsy.
Tags: denim accessories, denim bowtie, denim shorts, denim skirt, denim wallet, dip dye, DIY, gift guide, handmade, holiday, shopping guide
This one goes out to all the gals waiting in the wings for the first day of 70-something degrees & sunny (that beautiful moment where it becomes okay to wear short shorts in public sans-lace biker shorts). We’ve got the ultimate spring/summer denim cut-off shorts roundup to really get you in the mood. From dip-dyed DIY one of a kind to the standard blue jean classic (and we couldn’t help ourselves… we had to throw in a little Balmain too), there’s something in here for all the ladies who like to show a little leg! And don’t be discouraged if it’s not quite warm enough to rock these. That just means you have a couple more weeks to hit the gym.
1. Vintage Puple Blue Studded Short ($96) – buy it at Runway Dreamz.
2. True Religion Joey High Thigh Denim Shorts (about $332) – buy it at Jades24.
3. Balmain Frayed Denim Shorts (about $910) – buy it at Mrs H.
4. Vintage Yellow Dyed Denim Short ($91) – buy it at Runway Dreamz.
5. CURRENT/ELLIOTT Sugar Destroyed Denim Shorts ($225) – buy it at Style Bop.
6. KSUBI Mid-rise raw-edged rigid-denim shorts ($170) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
7. MinkPink Desert Fox Cutoff Shorts ($78) – buy it at Nasty Gal.
8. Balmain Tie & Die Denim Shorts ($1,760) – buy it at LUISAVIAROMA.
9. HORACE Ripped denim shorts (on sale $54) – buy it at Farfetch.
10. MOTO flag printed denim hotpants ($70) – buy it at Topshop.
Stay tuned for our upcoming tutorials on modifying your existing denim shorts to be just as killer as the ones you see above…
—Michelle Christina Larsen & Kathy Hassan
Tags: american flag shorts, Balmain, cut off shorts, denim shorts, destroyed denim, dip dye, frayed denim, Siwy, yellow denim