1. Know your body type and be willing to experiment to find what works for you. Curvy women look amazing in tapered jeans and straight leg as opposed to an extreme skinny. Taller gals can (and should) pull off flare-leg jeans with ease.
2. Shop for jeans with a bit of stretch to achieve a snug fit without feeling uncomfortable. The best jeans can be worn in the office, out around town, and on the even plane!
3. As a general rule, avoid super low rise jeans. Be sure they have at least an 8″ rise from crotch to waist band. Even if you’re thin, low rise aren’t flattering and they don’t provide enough coverage of your backside when you sit down.
Dressing up for parties, looking professionally awesome in the office, and running endless errands? It’s not joke getting ready in the morning this time of the year. With all the various hats we have to wear, why should figuring out what jeans to wear by hard too? It isn’t anymore! We’ve picked just three pairs you can snag and get away with wearing for the rest of the winter. You’re welcome.
Joe’s Jeans Coated Skinny Jeans / Burberry Brit Coated mid-rise skinny jeans / Citizens Of Humanity Rocket high-rise leggings-style jeans
What: The Metallic Party Jean
Which: Joe’s Jeans Coated Skinny Jeans
Why: It’s party time! Make festive waves at all of your holiday functions with a pair of flashy metallic jeans. It’s holiday-enough for your most jolly relatives and cool enough to carry you right over to cocktail hour with the in-crowd.
What: The High-Rise Skinny Jean
Which: Citizens Of Humanity Rocket high-rise leggings-style jeans
Why: This classic number will look incredible paired with any/all of the following: a richly hued plaid button-down and rhinestone necklace combo, an oversized sweater and chunky bracelets, or your favorite worn-out tee, tucked in on one side. Get ready to meet your next favorite pair of jeans.
What: The Sexy Black Coated Jean
Which: Burberry Brit Coated mid-rise skinny jeans
Why: A little rock’n'roll can upgrade any wardrobe, and we can’t think of a better way than with a pair of leather-like coated jeans. These Burberry Brit’s are mid-rise, which means they’re a flawless match with a cropped blazer or denim jacket.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: coated denim, coated jeans, dark-wash jeans, denim shopping, J Brand Jeans, leather denim, Leather Jeans, metallic jeans, skinny jeans
Here’s a great tip from Donna Ida to take with you on your next denim shopping endeavor. Jeans with whiskers (especially of the subtle, natural-looking variety) can add some depth and dimension to your jeans’ crotch and hip area, and help you avoid looking wider and “blocky”. If you’re trying to look slimmer from the front, take this tip into consideration, and check out some great whiskered washes below.
1. Current/Elliott The Beatnik Jeans 2. Rag & Bone/JEAN Skinny Jeans 3. Paige Denim Skyline Skinny Jean
Tip via Donna Ida.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: denim shopping, Donna Ida, look skinnier, look thinner, make hips look smaller, slimming jeans
Spring’s officially here, and spring cleaning/wardrobe-refresh is just as important as dusting, vacuuming, and polishing your way to a clean home. If you’re anything like us, your denim collection has multiplied since last spring and it’s time to get it back in check. Maybe you lost weight, changed tastes, or want to try something new? In any case, read on for our version of a denim closet face lift.
1. Cover your bases. Own a pair of gorgeous dark-wash jeans, a few fierce prints, a flare (or wide leg) jean, and classic cut-off’s. Shop our favorite dark wash jeans below:
1. 7 For All Mankind Roxanne Skinny Jeans
2. MOTHER The Looker mid-rise skinny jeans
3. Current/Elliott The Roller mid-rise boyfriend-fit jeans
Shop our favorite printed jeans below:
1. Current/Elliott The Stiletto printed cropped jeans
2. Diane Von Furstenberg The Classic mid-rise skinny jeans
3. Rag & Bone Goetz printed mid-rise skinny jeans
Shop our favorite flare-leg/wide-leg jeans below:
1. MiH Jeans Miramar mid-rise wide-leg chambray jeans
2. Christopher Kane mid-rise flare leg jeans
3. Michael by Michael Kors Faded mid-rise wide-leg jeans
Shop our favorite classic cut-off’s below:
1. J Brand Cut-off low-rise denim shorts
2. Christopher Kane Neon stretch-denim cut-off shorts
3. KSUBI Alberceque cut-off denim shorts
2. Tailor your jeans so they fit you flawlessly. We offer expert tailoring services (and you don’t need to live in NYC to achieve a perfect fit!) You can also get cut-off’s made from existing fav’s that need a twist.
Tailor your jeans to the perfect size now!
Transform your jeans into custom cut-off’s now!
3. Brush up on your denim care techniques. Below, 5 tips for doing so.
- How to wash your jeans.
- How to remove an odor from your vintage jeans.
- How to remove wax from jeans (and how to remove gum).
- How to store & organize your jeans.
- How to wash raw denim.
4. Add a little vintage denim to the mix. Shop in thrift stores or second-hand stores to find unique (sometimes bizarre and DIY-inspiring) denim pieces to set your collection apart.
Above: Vintage high-waisted denim shorts in rainbow stripe ($32) – buy it at In The Hammock Vintage. 70s HANG TEN vintage denim overalls ($72) – buy it at Passé Nouveau Vintage. Vintage chambray soft denim shirt ($40) – buy it at Capricorne.
Some of our favorite vintage shops, with locations cross-country, are listed below.
- Beacon’s Closet
- Salvation Army
- Buffalo Exchange
- Crossroads Trading
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: denim care, denim shopping, how to store jeans, how to wash jeans, remove stain from jeans, repair your jeans, tailor your jeans
Madewell is taking off once again on one of their Denim Roadtrip adventures, with an RV full of must-have jeans and summer style staples. Keeping with the vintage-inspired, bohemian theme of the endeavor, patrons will get to shop the jean selection and then get a festival-ready braid done by a pro hair stylist at the “braiding bar”. Denim styling tips will also be on the menu, so bring your Q’s! They take off in 2 days and their schedule is packed across the US, so find your city below!
For more details, check out Madewell on facebook.
Tour dates below:
April 12th: New York, NY May 1st: Madison, WI
April 14th-15th: Boston, MA May 3rd: Lawrence, KS
April 17th: Washington, D.C. May 9th: Boulder, CO
April 19th: Charlottesville, VA May 12th: San Diego, CA
April 21st: Palm Springs, CA May 13th: Santa Monica, CA
April 26th: Columbus, OH May 16th: San Francisco, CA
April 28th: Chicago, IL May 19th: Seattle, WA
Tags: denim discount, denim road trip, denim shopping, denim style, Madewell
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and inside info! Catch up on what’s happening and browse our personal picks for the most interesting what-not that turns up during our morning web crawl. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Kapital’s second dose of SS12 looks = dusty, beautiful vintage-inspired denim involving pathwork, ultra-natural distressing, and classic silhouettes.
2. See the results from one entry in the Doctrine Jeans DIY cut-off shorts event last week!
3. J Brand’s new nude leather pant is going to be a fall wardrobe staple for every woman post-summer. We called it.
4. Have you purchased anything from the internet’s first interactive, shop-able music video, c/o SSENSE? We like the concept, but the floating S logo kind of distracts from the video. We’d like to click on the clothes without having to hit the S target.
5. Denim Debutante shares their tips for finding flattering jeans for plus-sized figures.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: denim DIY, denim shopping, denim shopping tips, flattering denim, j brand leather, plus size denim
While denim shopping, keep this tip in mind: When you’re trying jeans on, it’s good to have a bit of room in the waistband. No one likes red marks from jeans that have been digging into their skin after a couple hours of sitting down (or even walking).
Insert two fingers between your skin and the waistband. If you can fit two, it’s a good fit. If you can fit your whole hand, they’re too big. If you can’t even fit one, they’re not the right jeans.
Denim shopping tip c/o Donna Ida, the UK’s resident denim expert!
Image by Raffael Flores-Contreras.
Tags: denim shopping, fit guide, jeans shopping, jeans that fit, perfect fit jeans, Shopping tips
A great denim-shopping tip from Donna Ida! The best pair of jeans women with apple shape bodies should wear?
“Apple shaped girls should look for plenty of stretch in a straight leg dark wash as they are the most flattering.”
We’ve picked out three perfect pairs of straight-leg, dark wash jeans for you to try. Check them out below.
1. DL1961 Grace High Rise Straight Jeans
2. Citizens of Humanity Ava Straight Leg Jeans
3. J Brand Coated Stealth Power Stretch Jeans
Visit Donna Ida and check in with their resident denim shopping experts for more great info!
Tags: apple shape, denim shopping, Donna Ida, shopping tip, what jeans to buy, what jeans to wear
As advocates of women finding jeans that fit and flatter, we love this post by Refinery29 on ways different body types can seek out denim that will do them a few favors, physically. They cover plus-size, petite, and tall-framed figures. Find out which waistbands, hem lengths, and colors work best with your body.
Check out the full post for useful denim tips!
Tags: buying jean that fit, colored denim, denim shopping, jean shopping, Refinery29, what to buy, what to wear