Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and inside info! Catch up on what’s happening and browse our personal picks for the most interesting what-not that turns up during our morning web crawl. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Kapital’s second dose of SS12 looks = dusty, beautiful vintage-inspired denim involving pathwork, ultra-natural distressing, and classic silhouettes.
2. See the results from one entry in the Doctrine Jeans DIY cut-off shorts event last week!
3. J Brand’s new nude leather pant is going to be a fall wardrobe staple for every woman post-summer. We called it.
4. Have you purchased anything from the internet’s first interactive, shop-able music video, c/o SSENSE? We like the concept, but the floating S logo kind of distracts from the video. We’d like to click on the clothes without having to hit the S target.
5. Denim Debutante shares their tips for finding flattering jeans for plus-sized figures.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: denim DIY, denim shopping, denim shopping tips, flattering denim, j brand leather, plus size denim
Going denim shopping anytime soon? If you’ve been feeling hesitant because denim shopping can be such an ego-blow, experience from hell, we don’t blame you. But we’re here to make it easier. We’ve got 5 tips from Donna Ida on buying jeans to ruminate over before you head out there into the denim jungle.
1. If jeans go on easily, go down a size. Kicking your way into the legs isn’t unusual.
2. Don’t be afraid to hem cropped jeans. People often think that if cropped jeans aren’t the right length then they’re not the jeans for them, but cropped jeans should be hemmed to fit properly, just like a bootleg or straight leg.
3. When buying jeans with super stretch, look for good quality denim that has great memory. The ‘memory’ is how quickly the denim springs back after wear.
4. When buying jeans with super stretch buy them firm but not overly tight. If you have ‘seam strain’ down the legs, they are possibly too tight and this could damage the stretch.
5. Look for white jeans with faux front pockets. If the style you choose has front pockets you can ask the tailor to remove them for a neater look.
Stay tuned for more tips!
—DT Staff & Donna Ida
Tags: denim guide, denim shopping tips, Denim Therapy, Donna Ida, hemming service, how to buy jeans, which jeans to buy