Ethnic and tribal-inspired prints are at the forefront of what’s in right now. From Mayan and Incan to Aztec and Navajo (sometimes even a cool hybrid of all of them) there’s totally something for everyone. We know things can get a bit tricky when it comes to prints, so we’ve put together a couple of looks to give you some outfit direction. The key is to take one bold statement piece and style it with simple and updated basics like cropped tees and a good dose of denim for a bit of cool edge. Keep things fully on-trend by throwing in some western bits into the mix like a cool modern boot and accessories with an earthy bohemian flare.
1. H&M Navajo print poncho ($28) — buy it at H&M.
2. Vanessa Mooney Ayasha woven bead leather necklace ($62) — buy it at Pink Mascara.
3. T by Alexander Wang cropped pullover ($92) — buy it at Barney’s.
4. KSUBI Alberceque cut-off denim shorts ($200) — buy it at Net -A-Porter.
5. Jeffrey Campbell Detention platform boot ($220) — buy it at Sole Struck.
1. Topshop Aztec print cropped tee ($36) — buy it at Topshop.
2. James Perse drawstring cotton-jersey maxi skirt ($165) — buy it at Net-A-Porter.
3. Mode Kungen acid wash denim jacket ($120) — buy it at Mode Kungen.
4. Alexander Wang Anabel ankle boot ($275) — buy it at Yoox.
5. Vanessa Mooney pixie brass leaf bracelet ($57) — buy it at Boutique To You.
Tags: acid wash denim jacket, aztec print, Denim Looks, denim outfits, ethnic prints, H&M, how to wear prints, Incan pirnt, James Perse, jeffrey campbell, Ksubi, KSUBI Alberceque cut-off denim shorts, mayan pirnt, Mode Kungen, navajo print, oversized acid wash denim jacket, South American prints, South Western Prints, T by Alexander Wang, Topshop, tribal print, Vanessa Mooney
Whether or not you’re going to be camping out at Lincoln center this week, New York Fashion Week is like the ultimate fashion holiday for any New Yorker who favors style (and global fans who love to follow the unveiling of the newest trend setting shows). But with cameras flashing from every direction, you’ll want to take this opportunity to bust out your best blue jeans, get inspired by super-glam statements, and take a chance on bold accessories. You can do all of this without going overboard, and below we’ve outlined five outfits to give you some wardrobe direction. See you at Lincoln Center!
1. Redherring Blue tie front denim shirt ($31.50) – buy it at Debenhams.
2. Sandro Jarod pleated chiffon maxi skirt ($335) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
3. MARC BY MARC JACOBS ‘Claude’ Statement Necklace ($258) – buy it at Nordstrom.
4. Jessica Simpson PAI Cloudy Grey Sandal heels ($99) – buy it at Heels.com.
1. Kate Spade New York ‘Pearl Street’ torsade statement necklace ($448) – buy it at Nordstrom.
2. Mallory light-wash cuffed cut-off shorts ($14.99 on sale) – buy it at Delia*s.
3. H&M Oversize fine knit sweater ($21) – buy it at H&M.
4. Karen Walker Eyerwear ‘Bunny’ sunglasses ($210) – buy it at La Garconne.
5. MICHAEL by Michael Kors Woodley Combat Boots ($245) – buy it at Neiman Marcus.
1. CALYPSO St. Barth Sienna Tassel Vest ($695) – buy it at Calypso.
2. T by Alexander Wang washed CDC shirt ($210) – buy it at La Garconne.
3. Forever 21 Ethnic Stretchy Bracelet ($8.80) – buy it at Forever 21.
4. Jeffrey Campbell cosmit ‘Lita’ platform shoes ($159) – buy it at Sole Struck.
5. Sandro Pop high-rise wide-leg jeans ($300) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
1. Kenneth Cole New York “Urban Multi” Lime Linear Earring ($30) – buy it at Endless.
2. Etoile Isabel Marant Qimi cotton-chambray shirt dress ($405) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
3. Matthew Williamson nude & orange dip dye silk scarf ($406) – buy it at Joseph M.
4. Ego and Greed POLAND Neon yellow platform shoes ($114.95) – buy it at Sole Struck.
5. Banana Republic Madison leather satchel ($250) – buy it at Banana Republic.
1. STELLA MCCARTNEY Printed cropped denim jacket ($322.25) – buy it at The Outnet.
2. M by Missoni Wide-leg wool-blend pants ($625) – buy it at Net A Porter.
3. Sam & Lavi Kelsie Sheer Tank ($60) buy it at American Rag.
4. K. Jacques pour Opening Ceremony corvette 2-strap flats ($270) – buy it at Opening Ceremony.
5. Dorothy Perkins Mustard short plastic collar ($14) – buy it at Dorothy Perkins.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Denim Looks, denim outfits, New York Fashion Week, nyfw
What are you carrying your stuff in this fall? If you’re over the idea of having an expensive purse or backpack, we’re right behind you. Winter may call for heavier packaging, but before the snow hits the ground you’re fully entitled to pack your essentials in a cute, simple canvas tote. Need some guidance on looking stylish with this minimalist carry-on? We’ve rounded up some of our favorite street styles from the web featuring denim and tote bags so you can start wearing this look today.
Jerome wears a pair of light wash denim jeans with his leather jacket and matching loafers, finishing off the outfit with a black brimmed hat and fashion-forward tote. We love it!
Jordan goes super preppy with lace-up white converse, dark shorts, and a light wash denim workshirt. His Beyond Retrotote is the key piece in his look, and it holds a lot of weight. No pun intended.
Sue Lyn pairs a butter yellow knit top with a tiered-hem purple skirt. She’s not wearing denim in this shot, but adding a denim vest or swapping out the woven skirt for a jean variation makes for a super-cute summer/fall look.
British blogger Emily wears her tote (which she scored for free at a market) with a slouchy knit top and dark wash denim cut-off shorts, cuffed up. This look screams playful!
Jenny‘s kick-ass shoes and cuffed skinny jeans are awesome for fall. She wears a leather jacket and dark hat, and carries her Kasil Workshop denim tote with a colorful scarf tied to one handle.
Bobby‘s beachy shirt and DIY cut-off jean shorts are a perfect match. His accessories take the look a step further. He added a braided brown leather belt, beanie hat, and tote bag to the mix.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: blogger style, cut-off denim shorts, denim outfits, fall fashion 2011, Street Style, tote bag