Sourcing the very best denim fabrics from around the globe, DoV developed new techology, “X-Fit”—a four-way stretch material that provides an unparalleled slimming effect. They looked to Italy’s Candiani denim mill for durability and France’s soft Tencel-based “Cool 12” material for their relaxed fits (so comfortable it’s pretty much impossible to take off). Finally, for their coated denim styles, they imported specialty fabric from Spain that was treated with an uber-soft wash.
What was your first thought when you tried them on?
Comfort factor. I’m used to wearing raw denim. These are more like wearing a soft moccasin after years of wearing strong tough shoes.
Where/when would you wear these?
I’ve been wearing them to brunch, for walks along the waterfront in Williamsburg… they have the perfect look and feel amazing. I’ve dubbed them my “resort jeans”.
How’s the fit?
I really like the medium rise with a tapered slim fit. They have the perfect amount of stretch and are really comfortable. The contrast cuffs are another visual bonus.
Raffael Flores-Contreras is the Logistics Director and Denim Expert at Denim Therapy and can be reached via email: email@example.com
Looking back at pictures from our childhood we often think, “How did I EVER wear that?”—Like it or not, our past is back to haunt us as ‘90s fashion makes itself very much part of the present. One trend in particular, denim overalls, is popping up in some form or another in all the brands we love to shop. So the question cannot be avoided: will we wear them again? The answer is easier to arrive at than you thought, now that our options have expanded from the OshKosh standard to color-blocked, acid-washed, super-short, and other styles of this infamous one piece. Our answer? Yes! If you’re short on cash, don’t fret: there are plenty of affordable denim overalls too. Ready to rock this trend? Scroll down and see which pair of overalls is right for you!
1. Madewell Chambray Coveralls ($145) – buy it at Madewell.
2. Shakuhachi Patch Overalls ($206) — buy it at Pretty Pennies.
3. True Religion Bridgette Boyfriend Overall Shorts ($250) — buy it at Revolve Clothing.
4. Replay Denim Overall (on sale $59) — buy it at Yoox.
5. Forever 21 Destroyed Denim Overall Shorts ($28) — buy it at Forever 21.
6. Free People Taverniti Overall Shorts (on sale $140) — buy it at Free People.
Tags: '90s fashion, Denim of Virtue, Denim Overalls, Forever 21, free people, Madewell, overall shorts, Replay, Replay Jeans, Shakuhachi, summer denim trend, True Religion
Denim of Virtue is a Los Angeles-based premium denim company inspired by the glamour of L.A. and the big city lifestyle, grounded on the principle that all good things can be attained through virtuous means. Every step, from the initial sketch to the final stitch, is created right here in the heart of Los Angeles. You may remember our enthusiasm when we wrote up the denim overall shorts review—and you’re about to understand why!
Denim Therapy: Lets start from the beginning. How did you know you wanted to be a designer?
Denim Of Virtue: I don’t really remember the exact moment but definitely I knew I didn’t want to be anything else from the beginning. My mom was a designer and I wanted to be just like her. I grew to love denim and Denim of Virtue because of the people I work with.
DT: Are there other denim brands you consider your immediate competition? How do you differentiate yourself from the hundreds of popular denim brands afloat right now?
DOV: I would say Jimmy Taverniti is my immediate competition. Every DOV piece is put together by sewing experts one by one and we don’t make too much of one style. I concentrate on the quality of the fabric and of course the fit. We also use double threading for durability and every piece that gets shipped is checked thoroughly for quality. We would rather ship short than have even one damaged piece on the floor.
DT: Do you have any pre-designing rituals?
DOV: We like to clean our desks, rearrange desks, and anything related to that before we start a new season.
DT: Describe the person who represents your ideal target customer- you have in mind when you’re planning a collection.
DOV: Working professional or student of any age who loves to shop and appreciates fashion and looking good.
DT: Can you give us hint about what’s next for (following or upcoming season– Spring/Summer or Fall/Winter)?
DOV: Spring/Summer 2012 will have some changes in the pockets for a fresh new look.
DT: What would be your dream collaboration? Any plans of that in the future?
DOV: I would love to collaborate with Frankie Morello. Every piece is an artwork. If I had a chance to meet him,of course.
DT: What are the most popular washes/fits in the line? What are your favorites, and how would you style them?
DOV: Our most popular style is our “Patience.” Our skinnys, bootcuts, and flares in the “Patience” style are all pretty much a great seller. However, my favorite is the ankle skimmers. I would style it with a pair of booties and a loose shirt with tight sleeves.
DT: Do you have any favorite/least favorite denim trends right now?
DOV: My favorite is the dark washes. It just looks good with everything. My least favorite is the acid wash and the tie dye.
DT: Street style and style blogs are huge in the industry right now as a source of inspiration, influencing the high end labels rather than vice versa. How much does street style influence your designing?
DOV: 50% street style, 50% couture
DT: How many pairs of denim do YOU own?
DOV: Lost count, I need a separate closet for them.
DT: Favorite celeb wearing your brand?
DOV: Kristen Stewart
Check out the fall 2011 lookbook here, and be sure to check them out on facebook!
Tags: american brand, Denim of Virtue, Denim Overalls, frank morello, jimmy taverniti, kristen stewart, los angeles, spring/summer 2012
While the debate on whether denim overalls can ever safely come back into mainstream fashion, suspenders seem to charm every time they make an appearance. Here you get the best of both worlds in a cut-off denim overall shorts by Denim of Virtue that will add a sexy hint of boyish charm to your look. We recommend wearing it with a long filmy knit cardigan and a pair of Jeffrey Campbell platforms for a summery look that will turn heads.
Denim of Virtue Boyfriend Cut-Off Shorts Overall ($225) – buy it at National Jean Company.
Price not too nice? Check out the other options we rounded up below.
From left to right:
1. Levi’s Juniors Styled Overall Short ($54) – buyt it at Zappos.
2. HIGHWAY Roll Cuff Overall Womens Shorts ($24) – buy it at Tilly’s.
3. ALMOST FAMOUS Denim Overall Womens Shorts ($29) – buy it at Tilly’s.
4. Les Halles The Shortalls ($120) – buy it at Shopbop.
5. TRUE RELIGION Bridgette Boyfriend Overall Shorts ($250) – buy it at Revolve Clothing.
6. Wet Seal Raw Cuff Overall Short ($25.50) – buyt it at Wet Seal.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Denim of Virtue, Denim Overalls, overall shorts, spring summer denim trends
Here’s a tip on how to make your spring/summer denim separates a tad more feminine, whatever the wash: a floral blouse, leather braided belt (in mahogany or maroon), and a pretty painted mouth will add a lady-like touch that won’t interfere with your baby-blue’s. here are a few picks we love to achieve this look.
Denim of Virtue Boyfriend Cut-Off Shorts ($194) – buy it at National Jean Company.
Revlon Matte Lipstick in Pink Pout ($7) – buy it at Ultra Beauty.
Forever 21 Darling Floral Chiffon Top ($19) – buy it at Forever 21.
Cole Haan saddle leather ‘Genevieve’ braided wide belt ($69) – buy it at BlueFly.
Want to see how this combo pans out in-person? Tasha B of London pulls it off with ease, finishing the look with laced flat shoes and a top-knot hair style. Go further with a sweep of cat-like eyeliner and a collar buttoned up to the top. We love it!
Photo via Tasha B at Lookbook.nu.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: braided belt, Denim of Virtue, denim shorts, denim style tips, denim styling, floral top, Forever 21, pink lipstick, Revlon, Tasha B
Missed out on anything this week? We make catching up easy with our round up of the most exciting blog posts we cooked up for you in the past seven days. You’re welcome!
1. Step Sharply! Christian Louboutin Spike Heels—In your journey towards increased bad-assery, you may have come across two materials that proved successful in most instances: spikes, and denim. While the two are usually only seen on the back of Rancid fan jackets in unison, a new era of chic has emerged, and it’s given these classic punk elements a new stage to dance on. Christian Louboutin has introduced the denim spike heel and denim spike loafer… Keep Reading! ?
2. Boy’s Games That Denim Plays—There are two things that will always be true: boys will be boys and denim will be always be our partner in crime. This playful editorial from new wave online magazine The Ones 2 Watch (which showcases the work of some the fashion industry’s up and coming talent from photographers to stylists) makes us want to get out of the city, head to the nearest forest, get rowdy and play rough… Keep Reading! ?
3. One Way or the Other: Reversible Jeans—In the age of shrinking urban closet space and increasing need for innovative looks on the street, this is a refreshing item to add to your arsenal. Bleulab has patented their reversible jeans, which remain functional in their standard fiber thickness (rather than layer two textiles, they are made of one piece of fabric woven to appear contrasting on two sides)… Keep Reading! ?
4. Sportmax Code S/S 2011—With the Holidays done and over with it’s on to the next matter of business: your Spring Summer wardrobe! And one collection you’ll definitely want to get your hands on is Sportmax Code if you want to be on trend. The young and hip label from the Max Mara Group captures the spirit of the seventies with modern high-rise wide leg jeans, double denim looks, and feminine yet bold prints… Keep Reading! ?
5. Sex Sells! Denim of Virtue Spring 2011 Lookbook—The Denim of Virtue spring 2011 lookbook has us literally aching for summer, with acid wash shorts (as short as they come), bleached out gradient jeans with zip side details, boyfriend-cut cargos, high-waisted skirts, and visions of all the lounging we’ll be doing once the winter weather breaks… Keep Reading! ?
6. Lohan is Back in Black—Lindsay Lohan and her assistant Eleanore were spotted together this week in Beverly Hills. Lohan looking fit and happy, the actress wore Black Orchid’s High rise Jeggings in Newton wash with a plaid shirt and accessorized with a cashmere loop scarf and mixed metal chains… Keep Reading! ?
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: best denim, best denim blogs, best denim posts, black orchid, Christian Louboutin, Denim of Virtue, Lindsay Lohan, reversible jeans, spikes and denim, top denim
The Denim of Virtue spring 2011 lookbook has us literally aching for summer, with acid wash shorts (as short as they come), bleached out gradient jeans with zip side details, boyfriend-cut cargos, high-waisted skirts, and visions of all the lounging we’ll be doing once the winter weather breaks. The sexy lookbook features their wide variety of fits and looks, and with each purchase you’ll receive a dose of their virtue: “a lifestyle that stays true to the heartbeat of Los Angeles”. We say, bring it on!
See the full lookbook here.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: acid wash shorts, boyfriend jeans, Denim of Virtue, los angeles, sex sells, sexy denim, spring 2011 lookbook
JFour Premium Denim.
Kitson is the kind of boutique where you can spend a lot of time getting lost, just absorbing the fashion eye candy: clothes, accessories, the latest celebrity-designed collection, “Team Angelina” shirts, and knickknacks that you’ll be sure to see Audrina Patridge or Paris Hilton show off to paparazzi on their coffee runs.
Thanks to the Kitson Web site, the information overload doesn’t end, but it is easily streamlined in its Web exclusive denim sale! No rifling through stacks of jeans.
Denim of Virtue Patience Tapered Jean.
You’ll shop for JFour (J4) Premium Denim for $37.25, or Denim of Virtue for as low as $50.40. Other brands are also available. If you choose to shop further, don’t blame me if you end up spending hours clicking through. It’s a shopper’s trap.
— Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Blue Thread, Denim of Virtue
DENIM OF VIRTUE Style 3012. Justice Flap Pocket in Champagne.
Celebrity favorite denim label Denim of Virtue has landed at Billion Dollar Babes’ (BDB) online sale. Okay, supermodels like ’em, too. Have you seen Gisele Bundchen rock ’em?
Now through 4/25 (Saturday night), you’ll be able to snag its Justice, Kindness, Liberty, Patience, Peace and Reverence jeans for under $100.
Prices range from $77-$99, but you can save an additional $25 off Denim of Virtue jeans $75 or more, through the special Twitter coupon code: TWITTERDOV.
That means, you can score Denim of Virtue jeans for about $52-$74, and nobody needs to know it. I’d like to think of it as free shipping. Bonus!
SHOP BDB NOW
FOLLOW BILLION DOLLAR BABES
— Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Denim of Virtue, Gisele Bundchen