If you thought novelty items constructed with denim was a modern thing (we spotted a patchwork denim ottoman in a department store recently that sported “pieces of jeans” with fake labels mixed into the seams), think again! This late 1800s denim umbrella just goes to show that the obsession with denim and desire to stretch the textile into as many areas of ones life as possible is a long-running tradition!
There are a lot of denim bags and totes on the market, some of them ideal for preppy guys, some of them ideal for hipsters strolling Williamsburg… but rarely does a chic denim bag come along that’s an all-around crowd pleaser. Once upon a time, duffle bags were a thing of the ’90s, but like most items ’80s babies called their own in late elementary school, the duffle is back. Enter the Meredith Wendell denim dufflebag, casual enough to drag to the gym and cool enough to carry around all day. Whether you fill it with your ipad and after-hours heels or use it to carry your books to class, this chic accessory will let you haul your stuff without weighing your style down.
Meredith Wendell Denim Duffle Bag ($322) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: denim accessory, denim bag, denim duffle, denim tote, fall accessory, Meredith Wendell, what to buy
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. Check out what’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Uniqlo is opening up their huge 5th ave location this Friday—and to celebrate, you can pick up a pair of limited edition skinny jeans for just $9.90. Wanna look inside the store before the masses pile in?
2. Christa Michalaros has been named the DKNY Jeans President. Having left footprints at Tommy Hilfiger, Liz Claiborne, and other noteworthy brands. “DKNY Jeans has such amazing brand recognition and it reaches so many women at many different levels,” Michalaros said. “I believe there is tremendous opportunity by bringing the brand back in-house.”
3. It’s so nice to see models smiling! So nice, that it’s the concept of Blanco’s “Autumn Smile” Campaign—featuring Rianne Ten Haken & Giedre Dukauskaite (and some great denim).
4. Still in the market for the perfect denim tote bag this fall? Rawr Denim introduced us to the Pure Blue Japan Selvedge 5 Pockets Tote Bag, and we want one bad.
5. Earnest Sewn is hosting a raffle for a denim iPAD case this Friday at their Fashion Island store in Newport Beach. Want in on this? Stop by between 9AM – 9PM with a receipt for your new iPhone 4S from the apple store to receive a raffle ticket for a chance to win!
The Earnest Sewn Co.
1075 Newport Center Dr.
Newport Beach, CA
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: $10 jeans, Blanco's “Autumn Smile” Campaign, cheap jeans, Christa Michalaros, denim accessory, denim iPad case, denim tote bag, DKNY, Earnest Sewn, Giedre Dukauskaite, iPhone 4S, limited edition denim, models smiling, Rianne Ten Haken, Uniqlo
We love Diesel. Don’t get us wrong. And we usually jump all over Diesel jeans, their denim dresses, and their super cool urban accessories. But the latest release in the realm of totes & carry-ons from Diesel Island is iffy. And by iffy, we mean… ugly. Maybe it’s the shape of the bag against the akward contour, the handle bases being too close together, the awkward DIY-esque placement of the studs, or the feeling that too many ideas were crammed into one design. In any case, we won’t be buying this one. The line they belong to, dubbed “The Divina”, are available in three styles and fabrications, and $350—$440.
Sorry Diesel! We still love you!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: denim accessory, denim bag, denim tote, Diesel, fall accessory, the divina, ugly bag
Rockstars in-the-making, check out our newest denim accessory discovery! Lone Wolf Strap is an independent label producing guitar straps. Their designs feature various plaid & striped textures reminiscent of men’s shirting, and one awesome blue denim guitar strap (pictured below). You can make an order via email, and while stock is limited, they create additional product by-the-order. Whether you’re performing at festivals all summer or just starting lessons, this is one stylish accessory to your guitar that will keep the rock’n'roll spirit alive (hint: you can even add studs & a few bleach stains).
Images via Lone Wolf Strap.
Tags: denim accessory, denim guitar strap, lone wolf strap, rock n roll, stylish accessory
It is pretty obvious by now that denim wearing is no longer relegated to the college set, nor is it only a piece of fabric only reserved for casual days. We found a snapshot of Jessica Biel strutting her stuff in a sexy ladylike tan outfit, punctuated by a blue denim totebag. She showed us a way to wear a denim accessory in a dressed up way that doesn’t have to be edgy or rock ‘n’ roll. You can make your own style statement with some denim handbags we are loving right now!
1. Yves Saint Laurent Muse Denim Tote ($1,450) – buy it at Net-a-Porter.
2. Juliet Tote Dark Denim with Genuine Leather Strap ($45) – buy it at Etsy.
3. Lucky Brand Abbey Road Bag (on sale for $149) – buy it at Lucky Brand.
4. Prada Avio Denim Tote ($960) – buy it at Neiman Marcus.
5. Mulberry Tillie Leather and Denim shoulder bag ($995) – buy it at Net-a-Porter.
6. Kate Spade Dungaree Quinn tote bag (on sale for $193) – buy it at Kate Spade.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: celebrity fashion, denim accessory, denim hand bag, denim handbags, denim purse, denim shoulder bag, denim totebag, jessica biel, Kate Spade, Lucky Brand, Mulberry, Prada, Yves Saint Laurent