Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and other irresistible tid bits of inside info! Catch up on what’s happening (or totally not happening) and browse our personal picks after scanning the web this morning. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. The Denim & Supply holiday 2011 collection features some seriously cool patchwork denim jeans for guys & gals. The women’s jean has some tartan plaid thrown in for good measure. If you’re into infusing a little punk rock into your look, this is one way to do it.
2. Rawr Denim has a great write up on Railcar Fine Goods—a California-based raw denim brand that builds each pair of jeans with hard-to-come-by craftsmanship.
3. For the men in the audience, here’s the perfect compliment to raw denim this fall—Gargyle just got a stock of S.N.S Herning fine wool knitwear from Denmark in to browse.
4. We thought the Topshop American flag shorts were a passing fad of summer, but if Rihanna’s still rocking them, you can bet you’ll see them live on into fall.
5. See actress Amber Heard (best known for her recent role in The Rum Diary) in a pair of medium wash David Kahn jeans on the cover of Women’s Health magazine.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Amber Heard, american flag shorts, david kahn jeans, denim & supply holidau 2011, Railcar Fine Goods, raw denim, rihanna, S.N.S Herning Knitwear, the rum diary, women's health magazine
Remember our summer post featuring Jamie Chung in her David Kahn Jeans? Not to be the one-hit wonder of the denim industry, they just released a yummy collection of jeans for Holiday 2011. Whether you’re looking for the right skinny jean to make that grand entrance at the next office party, or simply a pair of denim leggings that will amp up your chic party girl quotient (while allowing room for all the bar food and liquid bread you desire), David Kahn seems to have jeans for women who want to hit the social scenes in style this fall-winter, be it uptown or downtown.
Throw on a shimmery blouse or graphic white shirt, statement jewelry and heels, and you’ll be able to knock ’em dead come fall.
1. Wear statement jewelry to add some edge to your sleek skinny jeans. Kali Butterfly Long Confetti Chainmail Necklace ($90) – buy it at Etsy.
2. Balance your look. Go dressy on top, but be comfortable (but sexy!) on bottom. Zara Sequinned Top ($89.90) buy it at Zara online.
3. A white tee or tank will go with everything. Try a shirt with a whimsical design. Simeon Farrar for Japan Kate Mouse Cotton Teeshirt ($80) buy it at Net-A-Porter.
4. Eyes down, fellas! Sparkly shoes are perfect party conversation pieces. Zara Glitter Peeptoe ($89.90) – buy it at Zara online.
5. Get tough grrrl chic. ELISANERO Sling Belt Bootie ($538) – buy it at OAK.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: David Kahn Holiday 2011 Lookbook, david kahn jeans, denim leggings, jeans fo clubbing, jeans for parties, jeggings, skinny jeans
David Kahn is a name well-known to denim lovers. The designer jeans company was originally launched in 1999 to cater to a market that was flooded with tops, yet shy of bottoms for women. It quickly grew a following but it wasn’t until it’s re-launch in the Spring 2011 under designer Bryan Boone that the collection embarked on it’s journey into the contemporary premium denim market. He then added rich textures and colors, luxurious premium fabrics, new silhouettes and fashion forward elements—the fantastic fit remains. Read on for an exclusive interview!
Denim Therapy: Lets start from the beginning. How did you know you wanted to be a designer?
David Kahn Jeans: Denim has been such a great tool for me to show my creativity. I’ve been drawing and painting since I was young but now I just do all my ideas straight on to the jeans. The David Kahn brand has such a cult following that wanted newness and excitement. That’s what I’m providing them with my collection.
DT: Do you have any pre-designing rituals?
DKJ: The inspiration for my collection has been brought on by great female bands and vocalists. So for the past seasons, it’s me getting into a new muse’s music.
DT: Describe the person who represents your ideal target customer—the customer you have in mind when you’re planning a collection.
DKJ: The David Kahn woman is always on point with trends and knows her body and what works and what doesn’t work for her.
DT: Can you give us hint about what’s next?
DKJ: It’s going to very earthy and happy!
DT: What are the most popular washes/fits in the line? What are your favorites, and how would you style them?
DKJ: My current favorite is our Brenda Skinny. Brenda is our new contemporary fit. My friend Jessica is super tall and typical “skinnies” only reach above her ankle. I wanted to do a true skinny. So we made it with a 34” inseam. Its super long! But its great for shorter girls too because they can wear a higher heel. Because it’s on Japanese power stretch fabrication it contours to the body perfectly and adds a cool bunchiness look in the bottom. Some girls might like it cleaner so they can always get it hemmed.
DT: Do you have any favorite/least favorite denim trends right now?
DKJ: Drop crotch denim silhouettes don’t really appeal to me.
DT: Street style and style blogs are huge in the industry right now as a source of inspiration, influencing the high end labels rather than vice versa. How much does street style influence your designing?
DKJ: Street style is definitely an important part of my inspiration. Seeing how individuals dress and outfit themselves sparks new ideas and it just grows from there.
DT: How many pairs of denim do YOU own?
DKJ: Less now. Probably 10-15.
DT: Favorite celeb wearing your brand?
DKJ: Definitely Fergie. She really knocked it out of the ball park with her Nikki Goldrush Wash, especially exciting since it was the brands first celeb spotting.
You can visit their website for a greater insight into the brand and “Like” them on Facebook as much as we do.
Tags: bryan boone, david kahn jeans, david kahn relaunch, drop crotch denim, earthy jeans, Facebook, Fergie, japanese power stretch fabrication, music muse's, nikki goldrush wash jeans, premium denim, skinny jeans