Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and other irresistible glimpses of inside info. Catch up on what’s happening (and what’s definitely not happening) and browse our personal picks after scanning the web this morning. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Maurice Malone and Williamsburg Garment Co. got a big shout out in WWD for the fresh new line of low-priced, high quality jeans (which we covered and in a Q&A and denim review). Gaining attention for his exclusive distribution and unheard of prices, Maurice had this to say about his business method:
“I don’t need 2,000 accounts and I can’t even do 2,000 accounts,” he says. “Until the demand is solid, one account per city is about right. I want every retailer I work with to understand the concept behind the product. Everything gets lost if I’m selling to a big store. The product is inexpensive, but nothing about it says ‘cheap.’”
2. The editors and staff of Daily Candy rounded up their New Year’s resolutions for 2012, and one of their LA interns vowed to start nixing the fast fashion habit and invest in some clothes that are longer lasting/higher quality. Her picks? A.P.C. Petit Standard raw jeans ($175).
3. Looks like the Versace cruise collection for H&M is going to feature a denim workshirt with a classic Versace motif trimming its center front. The collection will be sold online only and will feature both men’s and women’s resort looks. After seeing the collection previews… we’re not exactly sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for the January 19th arrival.
4. MiH Jeans is having up to 70% off their jeans, tops, skirts, and more online right now—so here’s your chance to grab some awesome skinnies or flares, a cute T-shirt, and a jacket to boot!
5. Brand new on the raw denim market, check out the Studio D’Artisan X-32 Christmas Edition Raw Denim. This release marks the 32nd Christmas model since the company began in 1979.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: A.P.C. Raw Denim, Daily Candy, denim sale, denim workshirt, maurice malone, MiH Jeans, new year's resolutions, Studio D’Artisan X-32 Christmas Edition Raw Denim, williamsburg garment company
Can you imaging buying a great-fitting pair of premium denim for under $100? How do you feel about $69? Paige Denim is now on sale online at SWIRL, a members-only sale site spun off by shopping and events news site Daily Candy. There’s a nice buffet of skinny, boot cut, flare, peg leg, cropped and wide leg jeans — all $69 each. Now that’s a denim buy.
If you’re not already a member of SWIRL, don’t worry. Registration is free and easy. Better hurry and get some retail therapy on before it’s too late! Shop Paige Denim now on SWIRL.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Daily Candy, denim sales, discount denim, jeans sale, Paige Denim, premium denim, SWIRL
Ladies, it’s hard enough on those days when your monthly visitor makes it harder to wear your favorite skinny jeans, let alone, make you a slave to your purse. The folks at Tampax have been working over time to make every day a skinny jeans day. Introducing Tampax Compak, the applicator that is 40% smaller and fits perfectly in any skinny jeans pocket so your “monthly gift” doesn’t have to get in the way of fashion. In fact, coupons for Tampax Pearl Compak will be included with every Daily Candy order though the month of May.
Right now: Les Halles Jeans, from $39-$49.
Bonus: Tampax Compak is providing free shipping for any purchase of Les Halles jeans from April 28 through May 5.
GET THE DEAL
— Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Daily Candy, Les Halles Jeans, SWIRL
Sticking around the city for a stay-cation? Well, seems like there are a lot of good sales and some cool events to hit, like the Petty Fest. A nice line up of bands such as The Mooney Suzuki, The Strokes, Little Joy, Lemonheads and Fountains of Wayne. It’s an homage to Tom Petty, but you never know if the man himself will show up!
Source: Daily Candy
What to Do This Weekend
The long weekend??™s your life raft.
SEE (with SEA LEGS)
Woodshed Collective??™s The Confidence Man
What: Interwoven vignettes inspired by Melville??™s book performed on the old steamshipLilac.
Why: There are 30 actors, fifteen story lines, one sunset (during the 7 p.m. shows), and a free ticket to ride.
When: Thru Sept. 26.
Where: Pier 40, Hudson River, b/t Houston & Christopher Sts. Tix and info at brownpapertickets.com.
What: Rolling Stone??™s Smoking Section party is an homage to Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers.
Why: A drunken romp with members of The Mooney Suzuki, Fountains of Wayne, The Strokes, Little Joy, and Lemonheads.
When: Thurs., 8 p.m.
Where: Bowery Ballroom, 6 Delancey St., at Bowery (212-533-2111).
A Bathing Ape Pirate Store NYC
What: His and her merch (archived, second run) at up to 50 percent off; samples and special stock at up to 70 percent off.
Why: Don??™t monkey around.
When: Thru Sept. 7. Fri. & Sat., noon-7 p.m.; Sun. & Mon., 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
Where: 286 Lafayette St., at Jersey St.
Julie Haus Pops Up
What: Shop the winter collection and new diffusion line in a temporary apartment loft setup.
Why: Whisper DailyCandy to the shopgirl and save 15 percent.
Where: 93 Mercer St. , b/t Spring & Broome Sts.
French Sole/NY Sale
What: The original ballerina flat ??” for $109 or less.
Why: Leather slingbacks, embroidered denim, fabric with leather piping, etc.
When: Thru Sept. 10. Mon.-Fri., 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sat., 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sun., noon-5 p.m.
Where: 976 Lexington Ave., at 71st St. (212-472-9200).
We??™re not kidding here: Stockholm-based Polarn O. Pryet has made its way to the States and is giving Deals readers 30% off Euro-chic wares for kids and moms-to-be.
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: A Bathing Ape Pireate STore NYc, Daily Candy, French Sole/NY, Julie Haus, Petty Fest, Woodshed Collective's The Confidence Man