Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and inside info! Catch up on what’s happening and browse our personal picks for the most interesting what-not that turns up during our morning web crawl. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. R29 re-posted (from Style Like U) a perfect summer outfit on heiress Hannah Bronfman in a pair of high-waisted cut-off jean shorts. If you’re not aware of this pro-active, multi-tasking It-girl, read up on her asap.
2. A (not really that) quick look at the history of denim and how it became a staple in virtually everyone’s wardrobe.
3. There are two reasons why G-Star Raw’s Bread & Butter dance/performance runway show is awesome. First, it’s wildly creative. Second, it proves that you can (more than) live your life freely in these clothes.
4. United Stock Dry Goods has a spring 2012 lookbook that embodies a whimsical (but still dude-approved) kind of summer freedom. See a model prance through a field in the handsome clothing, and check out the opening photo. THAT is how crotch blow-outs happen!
5. Need jeans? Want them to be awesome? You’re in luck. We’re giving away two pairs of Meltin’Pot jeans this week—one for the gents, one for the ladies—and all you have to do is a little social media follow and a comment on our blog post. Zing!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: cut-off denim shorts, denim giveaway, free denim, G-Star Raw Bread & Butter, Hannah Bronfman, high-waisted shorts, history of denim, meltin'pot jeans, spring 2012 lookbook, united dry stock goods
We told you about this exciting collaboration between MiH Jeans and ShopBop in Denim Dose this morning, and now we’ve got the lookbook. This resort 2012 collection, inspired by 1970s Morocco, is denim through a jet-set lens. The daywear separates have soft silhouettes and light earthy colors, while the denim is frayed and features saturated, colorful embroidery that turn the whole set into a bohemian dream. Whether you’re planning to jump on a plane and escape this winter (or just wear some luxe jeans around the house), you’ll want to browse this gorgeous line for yourself.
The collection retails from $187 for the Marrakesh Short to $238 for the tie-front collarless Francoise Shirt. Other items include the classic Marrakesh mid-rise kick flare for $205, the Cap Ferret denim tunic for $229, A sheer Oversized shirt for $205 and cropped flare Monaco jean for $194.
Shop MiH Jeans at Shopbop.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Boho style, capsule collection, cut-off denim shorts, MiH Jeans, morocco inspired, resort 2012, Shopbop, white denim
Just because the warm weather has officially left us doesn’t mean you have to dress as dreary as it is outside. This outfit shows you a great way to incorporate bright colors into your winter wardrobe–think your favorite summer outfit but with some additions. By throwing on some sheer tights and a knit beanie, you’ve got the layers you need to stay comfortable, but still looking good. We love how this fashion blogger from Scotland keeps the rest of her outfit simple with her beige clutch and black ankle booties so her royal blue top is not overpowered, but allowed to really stand out. See our picks for how to get the look below.
1. Mini For Many Colourblock Blouse With Pocket ($99.99) — get it at ASOS.
2. Superdry Pom Pom Beanie ($15.62) — get it at BANK Fashion.
3. MiH Jeans Miami Rigid-Denim Cut-Off Shorts ($108.50) — get it at Net-A-Porter.
4. American Apparel Large Leather Carry-All Pouch ($68) — get it at American Apparel.
5. Free People Sheer Tights ($18) — get it at Free People.
6. J.Crew Emmett Ankle Booties ($238) — get it at J.Crew.
Images via Cats and Rocking Chairs.
Tags: American Apparel, black ankle booties, cut-off denim shorts, fashion blogger, free people, J. Crew, MiH Jeans, Mini For Many, Net-A-Porter, Scotland, sheer tights, Superdry
What are you carrying your stuff in this fall? If you’re over the idea of having an expensive purse or backpack, we’re right behind you. Winter may call for heavier packaging, but before the snow hits the ground you’re fully entitled to pack your essentials in a cute, simple canvas tote. Need some guidance on looking stylish with this minimalist carry-on? We’ve rounded up some of our favorite street styles from the web featuring denim and tote bags so you can start wearing this look today.
Jerome wears a pair of light wash denim jeans with his leather jacket and matching loafers, finishing off the outfit with a black brimmed hat and fashion-forward tote. We love it!
Jordan goes super preppy with lace-up white converse, dark shorts, and a light wash denim workshirt. His Beyond Retrotote is the key piece in his look, and it holds a lot of weight. No pun intended.
Sue Lyn pairs a butter yellow knit top with a tiered-hem purple skirt. She’s not wearing denim in this shot, but adding a denim vest or swapping out the woven skirt for a jean variation makes for a super-cute summer/fall look.
British blogger Emily wears her tote (which she scored for free at a market) with a slouchy knit top and dark wash denim cut-off shorts, cuffed up. This look screams playful!
Jenny‘s kick-ass shoes and cuffed skinny jeans are awesome for fall. She wears a leather jacket and dark hat, and carries her Kasil Workshop denim tote with a colorful scarf tied to one handle.
Bobby‘s beachy shirt and DIY cut-off jean shorts are a perfect match. His accessories take the look a step further. He added a braided brown leather belt, beanie hat, and tote bag to the mix.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: blogger style, cut-off denim shorts, denim outfits, fall fashion 2011, Street Style, tote bag