The thing we love most about trade shows like PROJECT are how up-close we can get to the denim. We can inspect the fabric hand, design details, and special components that set brands apart from one another. Besides their adorable mini-jeans, 3×1 was equipped with the particulars to keep us around their booth for a while, from their top notch Japan-sourced denim to their made-in-the-USA finishes.
Slim fit raw denim 12oz 2% stretch green caste selvedge denim from Kurabo, Japan.
White low rise standard straight let jeans made of 12 oz white selvedge denim from Kurabo Japan. These jeans feature a vintage stone wash that results in a soft hand.
Black coated slim fit 12.5oz black selvedge denim from Kaihara Japan. These jeans feature a coated finish, which results in a very cool reception of light and gradual wearing that will make your jeans truly unique.
Photos by Raffael Flores-Contreras
—Raffael Flores-Contreras & Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: black jeans, coated jeans, custom jeans, Japanese denim, made in america, made in new york, Made in USA, raw denim, Selvage Denim, selvedge denim, white jeans
Dressing up for parties, looking professionally awesome in the office, and running endless errands? It’s not joke getting ready in the morning this time of the year. With all the various hats we have to wear, why should figuring out what jeans to wear by hard too? It isn’t anymore! We’ve picked just three pairs you can snag and get away with wearing for the rest of the winter. You’re welcome.
Joe’s Jeans Coated Skinny Jeans / Burberry Brit Coated mid-rise skinny jeans / Citizens Of Humanity Rocket high-rise leggings-style jeans
What: The Metallic Party Jean
Which: Joe’s Jeans Coated Skinny Jeans
Why: It’s party time! Make festive waves at all of your holiday functions with a pair of flashy metallic jeans. It’s holiday-enough for your most jolly relatives and cool enough to carry you right over to cocktail hour with the in-crowd.
What: The High-Rise Skinny Jean
Which: Citizens Of Humanity Rocket high-rise leggings-style jeans
Why: This classic number will look incredible paired with any/all of the following: a richly hued plaid button-down and rhinestone necklace combo, an oversized sweater and chunky bracelets, or your favorite worn-out tee, tucked in on one side. Get ready to meet your next favorite pair of jeans.
What: The Sexy Black Coated Jean
Which: Burberry Brit Coated mid-rise skinny jeans
Why: A little rock’n'roll can upgrade any wardrobe, and we can’t think of a better way than with a pair of leather-like coated jeans. These Burberry Brit’s are mid-rise, which means they’re a flawless match with a cropped blazer or denim jacket.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: coated denim, coated jeans, dark-wash jeans, denim shopping, J Brand Jeans, leather denim, Leather Jeans, metallic jeans, skinny jeans
With a luxe spin for fall, BlankNYC‘s upcoming denim collection focuses on the skinny jeans the brand is known for, in a variety of washes. Besides the requisite bleached blues and deeper indigos, look out for printed jeans inspired by Moroccan tiles, rich coated burgundy and teal jeans, and color-blocked pieces. We’re thinking of one word: decadent. But the price doesn’t have to be! Their newest line also boasts pairs made with X-Fit Lycra fabric, a type of 4-way stretch denim offered at an affordable, under-$100 price tag.
Check out the full lookbook below!
Tags: 4 way denim stretch, artisa de luxe, blanknyc denim, coated jeans, color block jeans, colored jeans, fall jeans, skinny jeans, stretch denim
Denim Therapy had the opportunity to interview Doctrine Jeans last year, when this denim brand was just starting out. Flash forward a year: Doctrine is still here, and they have matured and are offering innovative and covetable jeans with classic and trendy-setting washes that are certain to be on everyone’s wish list for the holidays, come Fall 2012. We caught up with Doctrine Jeans’ Head Designer Teresa Sung for a quick update on their Fall/Winter 2012 collection. Read what’s new about Doctrine Jeans in their Sophomore year.
Denim Therapy: We love that Doctrine don’t jump on every denim trend in the industry. How do you get inspired each season during the design process?
Teresa Sung: Each season is different. But generally, I would start by seeing the runways for the season ahead and try to absorb trends and details first before starting on our seasonal collection. After the overview of all those information, I have to sort thru what works for our Doctrine and what doesn’t. Many times, I would have to look into our archives to see the particular era and icons to get more inspirations.
DT: What are some denim trends you DO love right now?
TS: I love the fact that denim is getting vibrant with its treatments not only with colors and prints, but in pieces like in patch works and embellishment as well as using novelty laundry techniques in discoloration and clouded effects.
DT: We love the one-piece looks in the fall (the denim overalls and jumpsuit). How do you envision women styling these pieces?
TS: Oh yes, overalls/jumpsuits tend to be made more vintage and work wear inspired. But I saw them from a different angle for this season. Why not sexy and sleek? You can style it with soft white blouses in overalls to maintain its chic look as styled in our Look book. It embodies sex appeal with its flare legs fitted through thigh, showcasing elongated leg shape. You don’t even need to style the jumpsuit except to wear it; flaunt it! And you may want to add a few of your favorite bangles.
DT: Do you have any favorite style bloggers or fashion influentials right now?
TS: The Sartorialist, Jack & Jil and Streetpeeper are just a few influentials that I’m obsessed with now. I really appreciate their keen eyes toward fashion reality from different parts of the world.
DT: What’s next for Doctrine Jeans?
TS: I would like Doctrine Jeans to grow not only in the States, but internationally as well.
Go to Doctrine Jeans online to stay update to date.
Tags: coated jeans, denim designers, Denim Overalls, Doctrine Denim, doctrine jeans, Doctrine Jeans Fall-Winter 2012, jeans for men, jeans for women, ombre jeans, sleek jeans
Many celebs partake in questionable dressing, but we believe in rewarding the ones who look good and taking fashion cues from them. In the pursuit of collecting style inspiration, we rounded up nine fresh denim outfits we adore. From Zoe Saldana’s classic neutral look to Ashley Tisdale’s boho-infused styling, each lady wears radically different denim pieces, paired uniquely to fit own individual style (while looking super-cute). Phew, no sartorial clones here!
1. Clean, classic, and simple. Zoe Saldana makes neutrals work in her favor with a black, white, and nude look, anchored together by Rag & Bone’s Leggings in Midnight.
2. This ombre shirt? Oh, how daring! Of course Kate Bosworth pulls off 7 for All Mankind’s Denim Button Down Shirt, with a smattering of her trademark vintage-y accessories.
3. With her Current/Elliot Floral Skinny Jeans, Katie Holmes utilizes the printed denim trend in a look well-suited for a busy lady on the go. To make this slightly girly outfit even more denim-friendly, she throws a denim shirt atop her floral jeans. We approve.
4. Brazilian model Ana-Beatriz Barros perfects polished weekend looks with J Brand Leather Leggings in Red. The textural contrast of her coated denim jeans against a mohair sweater proves that opposites attract to create truly interesting outfits.
5. Just like the flavor of its namesake, mint-colored denim is oh-so-refreshing and big this season. Aided by the graphic stripes of her shirt, Ali Larter looks mod with her Black Orchid Jeans in Mint Julep. We’d all be so lucky to look this good while picking up our Special K.
6. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley epitomizes model-off-duty city wear in her Etoile Isabel Marant Adam jeans (try these Cheap Monday Narrow Jeans for a similar look), oversize knit sweater, chunky suede booties, and wake-me-up coffee fix. Even if you’re not a model, this super-cozy outfit is super chill.
7. Ombre hair might be too wild for your taste, but you easily can achieve boho-tinged style by rocking loose, distressed jeans (like Theyskens’ Theory boyfriend-fit). Take styling cues from Ashley Tisdale, who wears her All Saint’s drop-crotch jeans with a floppy hat, fringe boots, and bright red bag.
8. You know how we feel about Jessica Alba‘s colored denim collection, and we are big fans of this hot mama’s weekend look. She wears a pair of Kate Spade Broome Street Jeans, but we’ve pinpointed a pair of SOLD Spring Street Red Skinny jeans that would look equally cute for a colorful day at the playground as out on the town.
9. For the launch of Chinese Laundry Denim, Shenae Grimes wore a denim jacket from the line with a pair of harem pants and a bra top. We give her props for exposing her midriff in a trendy and cute way, without being too revealing. The key is in that denim jacket! You can’t find the one she’s wearing in stores yet, but this Heritage 1981 Zip Up Denim Jacket will work to the same effect.
Tags: ali larter, ana-beatriz barros, Ashley Tisdale, coated jeans, floral jeans, Jessica Alba, Kate Bosworth, Katie Holmes, mint green jeans, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, shenae grimes, Zoe Saldana
Hudson Jeans showed a delicious palette of sorbet hues for their spring 2012 colored denim in vintage-inspired desaturated washes. The Nico super-skinny midrise was translated into everything from banana yellow to watermelon (can’t you almost taste them?), and also appeared in more classic light and dark blue washes. Among our favorite styles, an acid wash cropped skinny with an ankle zipper, dark-wash houndstooth-printed shorts, and a series of metallic coated jeans in silver, icy blue, and gold, which stylists are apparently pulling like crazy for spring editorials.
Not punk enough for you? They’re also running a paint-splatter jean and metallic snake skin skinnies for the party animals in the audience, and a gorgeous oversized feather-print motif white jean that will inevitably end up on numerous A-list celebs. Naturally we scoped out the new tuxedo pant as well, but we’re not as crazy about those. Believe us, the best color combos for that style are coming out in the summer! (We saw ‘em all, but we can’t give you the details yet.)
Look out for these gorgeous styles hitting stores in the spring, and if you just can’t wait, shop Hudson Jeans online today!
Photos by Raffael Flores-Contreras.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: acid wash, coated denim, coated jeans, colored denim, Hudson Jeans, metallic denim, spring 2012, spring denim trends, what to wear