If you need the latest in fashion and can’t wait until it hits the stores, you’re in luck. Moda Operandi has arrived. The brainchild of Aslaug Magnusdottir and Lauren Santo Domingo, Moda Operandi is the first online luxury fashion retailer to allow members to pre-order tomorrow’s styles today through a flash trunkshow. We had the opportunity to speak with Co-Founder and style authority, Lauren Santo Domingo (a Vogue Contributing editor to say the least of her fashion expertise), to discuss her new business venture and gain you exclusive membership access to Moda Operandi!
Denim Therapy: Lets start from the beginning. What inspired you to get this Website off the ground? How exactly does it work?
Lauren Santo Domingo: The website has been a long time coming. We have been working on it for over a year and a half and launched during New York fashion week. My business partner and I had long wanted to go into business together but the world did not need another personal style or street style blog. Moda Operandi offers access to designer showrooms and allows members to shop like an editor; A privilege that I am lucky to have had.
DT: Tell us some designers that you carry and about the denim they offer?
LSD: We are gearing up for London fashion week right now… We have a great group of Brits like Erdem, Peter Pilotto, Christopher Kane, Marios Schwab. These collections showed to great reviews and hey are sometimes hard to come by. So our flash trunk shows are quite possibly the only place to secure these looks.
DT: What are some of your favorite denim brands? And where do you shop for them?
LSD: I love Stella McCartney for high waisted and Balenciaga for skinny jeans. Derek Lam did a fabulous high waisted jean for Spring, hat I am lusting after right now.
? Click below to continue reading this exclusive interview! ?
Tags: Balenciaga, Christopher Kane, Derek Lam, Isabel Marant, lauren santo domingo, Levi's, Louis Vuitton, moda operandi, nina ricci, peter pilotto, Stella McCartney, ungaro, Vogue
News, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. What’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include? Email us!
1. Get ready to flirt! According to Topshop’s facebook, their item of the day is this sweet little Pale Blue Denim Spot Button Front Dress. For about $64 bucks, it’s yours.
2. Eat Sleep Denim reports that Christopher Kane and J Brand are about to embark on a beautiful journey together… or at least make some seriously cool jeans. The designer’s past collaborations have all been big hits. Let’s see what happens!
3. At the tender age of 18, Georgia May Jagger has designed a retro-inspired collection for Hudson Jeans. We can’t think of a better match than a Rolling Stone/Jerry Hall offspring in the design chair of a rockin’ denim brand. Her sultry photos are ready for your perusal, along with a quick interview.
4. Denim Blog has rounded up their top 10 fashion/retail iphone apps, and one caught our eye in particular–the Jeans Boutique app. It involves running a little pixel boutique, fitting customers and selling them jeans. Consider this downloaded! We’ll let you know how it goes.
5. Over at Denimology there’s a $250 giveaway happening via Canadian denim brand Guido & Mary, who showcase an awful lot of good looking denim on their website. If you want in, step lively… you can only enter until March 15th, 2011. Click through to Denimology to enter!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Christopher Kane, denim giveaway, denim iphone app, denim links, denim news, denim updates, free denim, Georgia May Jagger, Guido & Mary, Hudson Jeans, J Brand, latest denim, Topshop