Just because the weather has been unbearably hot, it doesn’t mean your summer fashion is reduced to wearing flip-flops and SPF one million. Maintain your studly appearance with some stylish men’s shoes that are suitable for garnering the right kind of attention when worn with your favorite pair of jeans. We found some great desert boots, boat shoes and other stylish must-have menswear shoes that will have everyone giving you the thumbs up this season. Tip: swap out your plain white shoes laces with ones that match the color of your selvage seam. Bam!
Italian magazine TOH! takes us inside the hotel room of a young party boy, styled in a mix of high-and-low denim brands for their latest editorial, “Blue Jeans Baby.” The international mix of established American labels (Calvin Klein, Levi’s, Polo Ralph Lauren and Wrangler) is paired with international labels (Frankie Morello, Love Moschino, Vivienne Westwood Anglomania by Lee and Uniqlo). Its rebellious devil-may-care message seems to send the simple message that it’s not about the label. It’s about the denim. By the way, TOH! (which translates from togliere, meaning to remove or to take away) begs the question: what are you taking away from this editorial?
Model: Josh Tuckley at Whynot Models. Photography by Simon. Styling by Alex Vaccani.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Calvin Klein, Frankie Morello, Levi's, Love Moschino, Polo Ralph Lauren, Uniqlo, Vivienne Westwood Anglomania by Lee, Wrangler
There’s just under a month left to find the perfect gift for everyone on your list, but if your loved ones are as crazy about denim as you are, you need look no further! We know what you’re thinking—it’s hard enough to find the perfect fit of jeans for yourself, so how could you buy them for someone else? But we’re one step ahead, with a less time-consuming alternative. After all, jeans are only one element of the wonderful world of denim…
1. For the DIY divas in your life (or anyone who can’t afford to drop lots of cash every time something trendy and fabulous hits the denim market), try this book! It’s the gift that’ll keep on giving until they can’t hold their scissors anymore. 99 Ways to Cut, Sew & Deck Out Your Denim, by Justina Blakeney, Ellen Schultz, and Faith Blakeney ($17) – buy it at Amazon.
2. A good gift isn’t just aesthetically pleasing these days, as you probably know from perusing other gift guides full of tech gadgets and time management tools. But we’re sure your efficient gift recipient will love this stylish, functional belt. It comes equipped loops for holding anything from eyebrow pencils to screwdrivers. See by Chlo? Pocket-detail denim belt ($150) – buy it at The Outnet.
3. A sense of humor is crucial when you can only afford a $1.00 gift, but as long as you make people laugh, no one’s going to blame you! This charming little pin will look great on bags, coats, or guitar straps So hey, why not? Bean Forest “TAKE OFF YOUR PANTS” Pin ($1) – buy it at Bean Forest.
4. With the rise of Etsy.com and the DIY revolution, beautiful hand-made gifts are more accessible and affordable than ever. We found this classy shoulder bag and wish we could get one for everyone in the office! Hand-made Strapped Shoulder Bag in black denim ($75) – buy it at Definition of Self.
5. For the biker babe or rocker dude on your list, something a bit more bad-ass to make their season bright. These fingerless gloves are half leather, half distressed denim, and it’ll ensure no one thinks twice about messing around at the crazy, intoxicated New Year’s Eve bash. Maison Fabre Denim/Leather Fingerless Mittens ($133) – buy it at Saks Fifth Avenue.
6. No, that price is not a typo, and this gift is truly reserved for the most gung-ho of denim fanatics… or anyone looking to be schooled thoroughly on the entire industry from A to Z. If they want to know it all, this is the closest thing to denim university. The Denim Bible Jeans Encyclopedia II, by Sportswear International ($1,546) – buy it at Amazon.
7. A cute, versatile denim hat to cap off a perfect winter outfit (and keep someone’s head warm). The neutral gray color allows for mixing with any outwear they already have, and the very nice price will keep you as jolly as a Christmas elf. Calvin Klein Martial Cap ($25) – buy it at Calvin Klein.
8. An accessory to wrap around the neck, tie up like a turban, or employ in apartment decor, this Diesel scarf has a vintage charm with contemporary edge. They come in several other colors and designs. DIESEL 2-KRAFS Scarf & Tie ($ 60) – buy it at DIESEL.
9. If you prefer to be remembered fondly during the post-holiday couch potato TV marathon your best friend annually partakes in, perhaps something more suited to lounging is in order. American Denim Square Denim Pillow ($24) – buy it at Specialty Linens.
Need more ideas? Try the please-everyone Denim Therapy Gift Card, a D.I.Y. version of any of these gift ideas above, or the super-cool MS&Co denim sleeves we featured earlier this week. Have your own ideas? Drop by our facebook page and let us know! Happy gift-giving!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: 99 Ways to Cut, American Denim, by Sportswear International, Calvin Klein, christmas 2010, Denim Bible Jeans Encyclopedia II, denim gift guide, Diesel, holiday 2010, holiday gift guide, Maison Fabre, See by Chloe, Sew & Deck Out Your Denim, SHOPPING, the perfect gift
Using a predominantly warm color palette of yellows, rusty reds, browns, and even pink to cooler greys, crisp whites, and blues, designer Simon Spurr takes a modernized version of dapper British man, and takes him into The Big Apple. But don’t be fooled, having had stints at design houses such as Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren, the U.K. native knows a thing or two about American style. So, what happens when the two worlds meet? We get an ultra luxe meets toned down, easy, modern aesthetic.
Among the preppy staples of three-piece suits, coats, and precisely tailored blazers, Spurr gets the cool factor by incorporating high quality, ultra-premium jeans. The perfect piece in any borderline foppish wardrobe. Here are our favorite denim looks from his Spring Summer 2011 collection:
Images from www.spurr.tv
Browse the rest of the collection, and more from Simon Spurr here.
— Sandoval Gomez
Tags: British Style, Calvin Klein, premium jeans, Ralph Lauren, Simon Spurr
By David Lipke
Acne??™s cotton jeans and Lova??™s TK tank top. DC Shoes sneakers.
Ben Sherman??™s denim shorts, Aviator Nation??™s hoody and tank top, all in cotton. J. Lindeberg belt; Common Projects sneakers.
Vans??™ cotton and spandex jeans, 7 For All Mankind??™s leather and cotton jacket and G-Star Raw??™s cotton and polyester sweater. Vans sneakers.
Key men??™s denim trends for spring include clean and classic five-pockets, skinny fits with stretch and shades of gray.
1. Classic, Clean Five-Pockets: Levi??™s never go out of style, said Jennifer Althouse, denim buyer at American Rag, and the iconic brand is the Los Angeles store??™s top seller. ???I always have a customer for this look. Young and old, they always come back to Levi??™s.???
2. Vintage Washes With Rips and Repairs: Worn-in styles command higher prices than clean washes, said Thomas George, owner of the E Street Denim stores in Highland Park, Ill., and Lake Geneva, Wis. ???The more work done to a jean, the easier it is for a customer to justify a premium price.???
3. Skinny Fits With Stretch: A growing number of men??™s jeans are incorporating stretch fabric for comfort and fit, especially in skinny fits. ???We do really well with Kill City in these styles, as they have a great price and interesting washes,??? said Althouse.
4. Overwashed, Faded Hues: Pale blue denim is ideal for spring and summer months, as it tends to be lighter and softer. ???This trend is very important in our spring assortment, as we??™re one of the only brands to offer such a supersoft selvage in an alternative to white,??? said Jerome Dahan, chief executive officer and creative director at Citizens for Humanity. At Seven For All Mankind, a pale ecru shade is a riff on this style.
5. Jean Shorts: Denim shorts have cleaned up and become less grungy for spring, according to Audrey Gingras, owner of New York??™s Archetype Showroom. Its April 77 label offered a selvage style for spring.
6. Gray Denim: An increasingly popular alternative to indigo shades, ???gray denim is a neutral that goes with a lot of looks,??? said Gingras.
Guess Jeans, Polo Ralph Lauren??™s jacket and What Goes Around Comes Around??™s Henley, all in cotton. Calvin Klein Shoes.
Levi??™s jeans and Earnest Sewn??™s shirt, both in cotton. St??ssy tie; Tiffany & Co. tie bar; Common Projects sneakers.
Kill City??™s cotton and spandex denim jeans, J. Lindeberg??™s wool blazer and CLU??™s cotton shirt. Common Projects shoes.
Click here to read the full article
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: 7 for All Mankind, Acne, Aviator Nation, Ben Sherman, Calvin Klein, CLU, Common Projects, DC Shoes, Earnest Sewn, G-Star Raw, Guess, Henley, J. Lindberg, Kill City, Levi's, Lova, Polo Ralph Lauren, Stussy, Tiffany & Co, Vans, What Comes Around Goes Around
Dree Hemingway, fashion's It Girl and "runway Twitterer." SOURCE: The New York Times.
Fashion’s latest It Girl, Dree Hemingway, caught my eye first with her interesting fringed sky-high black heels. As my mind processed her entire outfit further, it hit me that she’s sporting April 77 jeans! Yes, folks. Skinny jeans are still in. Very nice touch, young lady! Dubbed the “runway Twitterer” by Karin Nelson of The New York Times‘ Fashion & Style section, this girl is going places. Thank goodness for models who know how to dress themselves off the runway, not like some other It Girl models — I won’t name names — we’ve been seeing lately.
And thanks for the tip, Mariel Hemingway. If it wasn’t for my own Twitter addiction, I might not have seen this lovely shot!
SHOP THIS LOOK! APRIL 77 Joey Overdrive skinny raw jeans.
From New York Times:
DREE HEMINGWAY, model, actress, daughter of Mariel Hemingway.
WHAT I??™M WEARING NOW A Balenciaga leather jacket, a flannel shirt from the Gap, April 77 jeans, Alexander Wang shoes, a YSL ring.
STYLE CREDO I??™m a pants girl. I just feel more comfortable in them. Lately I??™ve being trying on a lot of pantsuits, like the black Calvin Klein one I wore to their show. The trousers have a shorter Audrey Hepburn length, which I love. Mainly I wear jeans and a T-shirt, with a crazy shoe ??” the bigger, the better. I tried on the most amazing ones at Gucci. They??™re huge platforms with straps that go around the ankle. Phenomenal. Having an accent piece is good. That??™s basically all I do.
ON MY WISH LIST A Rick Owens leather jacket and a Proenza Schouler PS1 bag in python.
— Kathy Ng Hassan (more…)
Tags: Alexander Wang, April 77, Balenciaga, Calvin Klein, Gap, Gucci, Proenza Schouler, Rick Owens, YSL