We’re always on the lookout for some stellar celeb looks, but we never have to look farther than these next few broads. Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, Ali Larter, Kate Bosworth and Miley Cyrus are some leading ladies whose closets we’d like to raid. Skinnies, shorts and colored denim never looked so chic for just a casual stroll through the streets.
DT’s founder Francine recently got herself into a pair of Black Orchid Jewel Mid Rise Jeggings—similar to the mint green version Kim Kardashian favors in her endless denim collection—and she let us know what she thinks about ‘em! Scroll to find out if they meet her standards for style, fit, and versatility.
Check the jeans out below:
What was your first thought when you tried them on?
I love the color and love the fit. I’ve definitely become a mid-rise type of girl and these jeans are perfect in that regard.
Where/when would you wear these?
They’re versatile—they’re fun because of the bright color but they can be styled to look a little more serious. The color might even be intimidating if these jeans walked into a meeting… But definitely day or night, and all four season!
How’s the fit?
LOVE the fit. They are both comfortable and flattering, and most importantly, they don’t lose their shape after a few hours of wearing them.
Love these jeans? Get a pair now!
Tags: black orchid, denim review, Denim Therapy, jewel mid-rise jegging, mid-rise jeans, pink jeans, red jeans, skinny jeans
Mint green jeans fever is really catching on—even our least favorite socialite, Kim Kardashian, is wearing it! We quite like this outfit—a change of pace from spike heels and forced-luxury. She was snapped wearing this pair of Black Orchid by Julien Jarmoune Jewel Jegging in Curacao wash with a creme blazer and sandals. Pretty fresh.
Love this look? Get a pair of Black Orchid by Julien Jarmoune Jewel Jeggings!
Need mint green jeans, but not sure which to buy? Here are 9 more amazing pairs to choose from!
1. Free People The Cropped Colored Skinny Jean in Spearmint ($88) – buy it at Karma Loop.
2. GOLDSIGN Jenny cropped high-rise skinny jeans ($190) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
3. True Religion Halle Skinny Jeans ($325) – buy them at My Theresa.
4. J Brand Skinny Jean in Aqua Marine ($284) – buy it at Far Fetch.
5. The Earnest Sewn Harlan in Cotton Candy ($210) – buy it at The Earnest Sewn.
6. Joe’s Jeans 55 Colors Skinny Jeans in Lily Pad ($158) – buy it at Joe’s Jeans.
7. GUESS Jeans Brittney Skinny Ankle Jeans in Green Pop ($89) – buy it at Bloomingdale’s.
8. AG Adriano Goldschmied Jeans - Cozy Twill Stilt Legging Jeans ($168) – buy it at Bloomingdale’s.
9. Current/Elliott The Beatnik Jeans ($178) – buy it at Shopbop.
Tags: black orchid, celebrity denim, jewel jeggings, Kim Kardashian, mint green jeans, pastel jeans, Spring Denim
Designer Julien Jarmoune of Black Orchid Denim has wow’d us in the past with designs celebrities and street style bloggers alike are obsessed with, and the latest collection, which we got to check out at Coterie, is nothing short of rock star-worthy. From studded side seams to the classic dark-and-sexy range of washes, we had to know what the designer’s latest thoughts were while whipping up this must-have uniform for girls with equal parts style and attitude. So, we asked him (and we also found out he only owns one brand of men’s jeans)!
Denim Therapy: Tell us a little about the spring 2012 collection. We noticed an emphasis on studs, zippers, and hardware (and we love it).
Julien Jarmoune: Yes, a selection of our spring styles feature studs and hardware which is geared towards high end image boutiques and our more rocker clientele. However, the core focus of our Spring 2012 line is colors. In 15 color washes ranging from pastels to brights and neons, we offer a wide selection of styles including skinnies, flares, skinny micro flare, mini shorts, mini skirts, pleated trousers and pleated trouser shorts. We also offer all 14 styles in white. In addition to introducing new colors we’re also going back to our heavier sanded and torn washes.
DT: How do you differentiate yourself from the hundreds of popular denim brands afloat right now?
JJ: Black Orchid is the only premium denim collection on the market that combines amazing fits and designs with a huge press and celebrity following all at a great price point.
DT: Do you have any pre-designing rituals?
JJ: When I am about to design my next collection, I usually get “stuck” and can’t come up with any ideas for almost a month and start loosing sleep over it. And then for an inexplicable reason I wake up one morning with the entire collection completely done in my head. Everything becomes apparent to me and I end up designing a collection of 60 styles within the next 2 weeks. Always a stressful but such an exciting moment!
DT: Describe the woman who represents your ideal target customer.
JJ: My ideal customer is a fashion trendsetter. She is sexy and confident and looks great in her jeans whether paired with a nice bag and a pair of Louboutins or a casual tee and flats.
DT: What would be your dream collaboration? Any plans of that in the future?
JJ: I don’t have any plans at the moment but would love to collaborate someday with brands such as Alexander Wang, Balmain or Thomas Wylde.
DT: Do you have any favorite/least favorite denim trends right now?
JJ: My favorite denim trend is a classic skinny jean because I think it looks great on any body. I’m more resistant to the bell bottom trend, as it’s more difficult to pull this off.
DT: Street style and style blogs are huge in the industry right now as a source of inspiration, influencing the high-end labels rather than vice versa. How much does street style influence your designing?
JJ: Believe it or not I never look at any of those websites for inspiration. I always design what I like and what I would like my BlackOrchid customer to wear.
DT: How many pairs of jeans do you own?
JJ: About 10 or 12, all from Dior Homme.
DT: Can you give us hint about what’s next?
JJ: Colors, colors, colors.
Check out some shots we took at the Coterie spring 2012 preview below.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: black orchid, Dior Homme, hardwear, interview, Julien Jarmoune, q&a, rockstar style, spring 2012 collection, studs
Fred Segal wants us to hit the beach this Friday, September 23rd through Sunday, October 9th for 50% off selected merchandise from top designers, and they mean Bottega Veneta, Elizabeth & James, Ella Moss, Missoni, Splendid, and tons more. Expect to see these jeans for women on sale: Levis LVC, Made and Crafted, Habitual, AG, J Brand, Black Orchid and Current/Elliott. Jeans for men on sale include: Nudie, Citizens, J Brand and Dries Van Noten.
If you can’t make it for the next few days, try again on September 26th, when selected merchandise will be available at up to two-thirds off, with merchandise on sale at up to 75% off, from October 3rd through October 9th.
Fred Segal Santa Monica (both locations)
420 Broadway and 500 Broadway, Santa Monica, CA 90401
For more information, go to Fred Segal online.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: AG Jeans, black orchid, cheap jeans Los Angeles, Citizens of Humanity, Current/Elliott, Dries Van Noten, Fred Segal Sale, habitual jeans, J Brand, Levi's, Levi's LVC, Levi's Made & Crafted, Nudie Jeans
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. Check out what’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Over 200 styles are on sale now at Madewell, including online exclusives and new products that just dropped! Our personal fav? This chambray button-up skirt.
2. Raven Denim is having a sale on women’s prooducts only—take an additional 30% off all clearance and sale items as well as regular priced. The sale ends this Sunday, so jump on it! Use promo code WOMENSSALE at checkout.
3. Hey LA, there’s a Siwy Denim sample sale next week on Friday, August 26th. Also sold? Black Orchid, LnA, and Raven. Click for details.
4. The Urban Renewal denim convertible backpack is on sale now for $19.99 at Urban Outfitters (used to be $59.00!)
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: black orchid, cheap denim, cheap jeans, denim accessories, denim sales, Madewell, raven denim, sale denim, sample sale, Siwy, Urban Outfitters
The super-stylish Brit known for dating rockers, supermodel Kate Moss, was seen wearing Rails’ navy plaid “Dana” shirt. Sporting a grunge-chic look, Kate added a leather jacket, skinny jeans and black boots for her morning ensemble. Later in the day she changed it up by switching to Black Orchid’s “Zipper Jeggings” in Midnight, heels and a preppy blazer. We love how versatile she coordinates her outfits—day to night in a flash. But with her upcoming nuptials to Jamie Hince (guitarist of The Kills) she wants the rock and roll to take part as well. Kate has reportedly asked Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Kanye West and Beth Ditto amongst others to play at her wedding. Can you say party of the century?
Tags: beth ditto, black boots, black orchid, DENIM, jamie hince, Kanye West, Kate Moss, kills, led zeppelin, rails, supermodel, The Rolling Stones, zipper jeggings
We can sing for joy, seeing this film crew in the middle of Times Square… Lea Michele has taken time off from “Glee” production for her movie debut in “New Year’s Eve” (the sequel to Valentine’s Day). The 24-year-old star arrived on the set in New York City, for her first day of filming being snapped in a purple pea coat, wearing Black Orchid’s Jeggings in Thunder wash and black boots. Lea looked overjoyed as she strutted through the Times Square locale and chatted with a few set workers before preparing for the shooting. She soon took it to her Twitter to share her excitement, writing “I’m on set right now!!! So exciting!!!”… (Cute!)
Tags: black orchid, celeb denim, celeb pics, Glee, jeggings, Lea Michele, New York, times square
Paris Hilton was seen leaving Boa restaurant on Valentine’s Day wearing Black Orchid’s “Black Majesty Jegging” in Equinox wash, hand in hand with her leading man. We’re loving this super-sweet red and black heart tee (almost as much as we love the PDA—Oh Paris!) These jeggings feature vertical pleating along the side seams for a long, lean look. Isn’t it nice to be in love, lust, or…whatever? We are talking about denim, by the way. Scroll down to get the look!
Photo via Zimbio (Photo Agency).
Try this on for size! Red hearts, red lipstick, sleek shoes, and jeans that are out for blood. We know you’ll swoop up your fair share of romance in this outfit, regardless of the season.
1. Black Orchid Black Majesty jegging in Equinox ($101.40 on sale) – buy it at michelle-en-vogue.
2. Chanel Rouge Allure Luminous Satin Lip Colour in Coquette ($32) – buy it at Chanel.
3. Wildfox Couture Red Sparkle Heart Baggy Beach Jumper ($108) – buy it at Wildfox Couture.
4. Kartell Glue Cinderella ballet flats ($135) – buy it at YOOX.
—Jackie Racer & Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: black orchid, Celebrity Couples, jeggings, Paris Hilton, valentines day
Missed out on anything this week? We make catching up easy with our round up of the most exciting blog posts we cooked up for you in the past seven days. You’re welcome!
1. A/W 2011 Menswear: Balmain Homme—One menswear collection (or wardrobe as designer Christophe Decarnin prefers to call it) that we could not go without making a big fuss out of is without a doubt Balmain Homme… Keep Reading! ?
2. Denim Insider: Twelve Years of Frankie B. Jeans—In February, Frankie B. Jeans will mark its 12th year anniversary, and we thought it would be fitting to talk to Daniella Clarke, the founder who started out DIYing her own jeans as a teenager by ripping out the waistbands… Keep Reading! ?
3. Who Wears Short Shorts? Natalia Vodianova!—We’re obsessed with the eerie mood of this denim-hued ’70s/circus inspired editorial featuring Russian beauty Natalia Vodianova, shot by by Paolo Roversi… Keep Reading! ?
4. AW 2011 Menswear Round Up Part 1—Color, colore, couleur! From Milan to Paris, the Autumn-Winter 2011 Menswear shows were vibrant, bursting with color, both hot and muted, perhaps in an attempt by haute couture designers to break out of the usual winter black and grays… Keep Reading! ?
5. Nowhere Denim, Nowhere League—We’re obviously obsessed with anything reminiscent of 90s grunge, so it’s no wonder why we love this editorial from the latest issue of Sportswear International. Shot by Jimmy Fontaine and styled by Karen Levill, this moody adventure sets these Dr. Marten-wearing young things in the middle of nowhere parading around in the apathy of their youth… Keep Reading! ?
6. Fergie in Black Orchid Ankle Buckle Skinny Jeans—Fergie was spotted in Los Angeles wearing Black Orchid’s “Black Jewel Ankle Buckle” skinny jeans in Fog wash. Joined by husband Josh Duhamel (we love the matching black leather jackets, love birds!)… Keep Reading! ?
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Balmain Homme, best denim blogs, best denim posts, black orchid, denim editorial, Fergie, Natalia Vodianova