Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and inside info! Catch up on what’s happening and browse our personal picks for the most interesting what-not that turns up during our morning web crawl. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Closing soon: Ruelala’s Hudson Jeans sale is in progress, so snag your favorite men’s or women’s Hudsons (most are $99.90) before they’re gone.
2. Barneys New York produced this snazzy video, featuring guys from all walks of life talking about how to pick up chicks, among other things. They are styled in Barneys Co-Op Spring 2012 featured brands, which include a crisp pair of Nudie Jeans Slim Jim Post Recycle Dry ($215). Watch the Barneys Men’s Co-op video here.
3. Gap has teamed up with Threadless to bring exclusive, community-designed graphic t-shirts to Gap stores worldwide! Enter your design and you could win $2,000 – $10,000. Go to Threadless online for details.
4. We’re intrigued by these high-top velcro sneakers in denim by Raf Simons ($600). Now that he’s got his hands free for a bit, we’re hoping to see him churn out more denim goods.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Barneys New York, denim on sale, Gap, Hudson Jeans, jeans on sale, Nudie, Raf Simons, Ruelala, Threadless
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. Check out what’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Comme Des Garçons Homme Plus has released a denim & wool jacket, and it’s a super dapper selection for fall dressin’! It’s lined in silk and wool and the two-tone effect provides a palette of options for styling. For early fall, we’d go with some light beige corduroys.
2. Christopher Kane x J Brand = neon, top to bottom. It sure is fun to look at in these photos, but would even one of these pieces work in an outfit, separately? We’ll have to wait and see if there’s something more than meets the eye.
3. The French men’s line Alexandre Mattiussi is launching at Barneys New York this fall, in additional to 9 other retailers and an online store. Tom Kalenderian, general merch manager for men’s at Barneys says “AMI is targeted for a guy looking for modern classics.” Of course, they produce some great denim.
4. Hey big spenders! Up to 80% off Balmain jeans at The Outnet, right now! Jeans for “only” $400 (regularly far more).
5. This Spring 2012, GOLDSIGN Founder and Creative Director, Adriano Goldschmied lets us explore his passion and vision for daily life with “Goldskin”, an exclusive collection of mineral dyed suede, which will only be available to view and order at Tranoi tradeshow in Paris, France and Coterie tradeshow in New York, New York. Read the full story at The Denim Guy.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Alexandre Mattiussi, Barneys New York, Christopher Kane x J Brand, Comme Des Garçons Homme Plus, denim & wool jacket, Denim Menswear, denim news
Giving back to the community always resonates a wonderful feeling with us here at denim therapy and we’re quite sure it does with you also. Which is why when we came across the Habitat for Humanity Eco- friendly denim drive, we were ecstatic to pass along the news. Just in case you weren’t aware, for every 500 pairs of donated denim, Habitat for Humanity is able to fully insulate one home in the New Orleans region, for families displaced by Hurricane Katrina.
The denim drive first began back in 2006 when National Geographic Kids magazine asked readers to donate their old jeans. Donations, collected from retail stores, such as the Gap and Barneys were sent to cotton inc, setting a Guinness World Record by collecting 33,088 pieces. Since then Cotton Inc has received over 270,000 pieces which has insulated over 540 homes for Habitat for Humanity. So, think twice before you trash your old denim, because donating them could do a world of good.
Images via Denim Hunt.
— Ashlee Mellowes
Tags: Barneys New York, charity, cotton inc, Denim insulation, eco friendly denim, Habitat for humanity, hurricane katrina, New Orleans, old worn denim, The Gap
Edun, the 100% organic, sustainable and ethically conscious fashion label founded by Ali Hewson (wife of Bono of rock band U2) is relaunching their website featuring products that benefit communities in Africa, including school children in Kenya.
Available are t-shirts with hand-drawn pictures from the children of Kibera, Kenya. 100% of the proceeds from these t-shirts will go to fund school needs such as food, healthcare and financial assistance.
Black and white graphic tees are part of “Grow To Sew”, an initiative by Edun, which apire to make African garments a sustainable industry. The proceeds will benefit the Conservation Cotton Initiative, which supports greater investment in sustainable and ethical production, fair trade and organic farming.
Hewson held a launch party for Edun’s pre-fall menswear capsule collection at Bloomingdale’s in NewYork last Wednesday. And for the women’s collection, continuing with the trend of patchwork jeans (also found on the runways of Chloe, Cheap Monday, Gap, Ralph Lauren, to name a few) and military styles, the pre-fall collection of Edun includes military-green jackets, adorable hemp short-suits, indigo-colored patchwork jeans, super soft tees, lightweight anoraks, and ruffled skirts. Edun will relaunch women’s at Barneys New York this week, and at Liberty of London and Merci in Paris later this month. And the company’s new designer, Sharon Wauchob, will debut her designs for Edun on the runways of New York in September.
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Ali Hewson, Barneys New York, Cheap Monday, Chloe, Edun, Gap, Liberty of London, Merci, Ralph Lauren
The much anticipated collaboration between Hussein Chalayan, master of ‘the art’ of fashion design, and J Brand is currently available at Barney’s New York. Most would expect something extraordinary from Chalayan, knowing his chimerical aesthetics, but the outcome of his capsule collection for J Brand is a carefully controlled take on three trends that dominate the market place; the boyfriend jean – lovingly named the Beau jean ($247), the skinny jean – appropriately named the Legging jean ($249), and the harem style jean named the Circuit ($257), because, I am guessing, you need to be styling to work it in the fashion circuit and harem style pants continue to be hot amongst the edgy fashionistas!
It is no surprise that at the private dinner party to launch the collaboration at Hotel Griffou, hosted by Chalayan and J Brand, the who’s who of both the fashion and art worlds came together along with future designer to be, Kanye West, and his muse/girlfriend Amber Rose. The line-up of guests included Vogue Editor – Sally Singer, Vogue Associate Publisher – Lottie Oakley (looking gorgeous as ever from my days at Vogue), John Currin, Rachel Feinstein, Hope Atherton and Chanel Iman, to name a few.
View the video of Chalayan’s line for J Brand
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Amber Rose, Barneys New York, Chanel Iman, Hope Atherton, Hussein Chalayan, J Brand, John Currin, Kanye West, Lottie Oakley, Rachel Feinstein, Sally Singer
What an amazing line-up of eight incredible designers who have collaborated with Barneys on creating one-of-a kind denim styles from donated denim jeans exclusively for Barneys!
Available for auction on eBay with 100% of the proceeds benefiting Oceana.
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Alexander Wang, Ann Demeulemeeste, Barneys New York, Bottega Veneta, Derek Lam, Rodarte, Rogan, Stella McCartney, Versace