Halloween is approaching, the leaves are changing, and let’s face it, it’s getting cold out! In case you didn’t know, jean jackets are the ultimate essential item for this season for both women and men. They are lightweight enough to not have you traveling in a sweat and are such an easy piece to layer with. Why we really love them though is because no matter what kind of look you personally like to go for, denim is the one thing that always remains stylish and functional! Check out some of our favorites below!
1. Balman Safety-Pin Detail Denim Jacket ($1,650) – buy it at The Outnet.
2. Wrangler Vintage Africa Kuba Cloth Jacket ($298) – buy it at Free People.
3. Helmut-Lang Asymmetrical Stretch-Denim Jacket ($232.50) – buy it at The Outnet.
4. Prps Denim Jacket ($295) – buy it at The Outnet.
5. Washborn Dude Ranch Denim Jacket ($88) – buy it at Nasty Gal.
6. G-Star Raw Dazzle Organic Parka ($300) – buy it at G-Star Raw.
7. GUESS Denim Trench ($120) – buy it at Guess.
8. GUESS Abigail V Neck Long Sleeve Pocket Denim Blazer($118) – buy it at Macy’s.
Tags: Balmain, chambray jacket, denim blazer, fall fashion, free people, G-Star Raw, Guess, Helmut Lang, jean jackets, PRPS, stretch denim, vintage jean jacket, Washborn, Wrangler
We love this editorial featuring Erin Wasson in Elle France, wearing some super luxe denim shorts that we wouldn’t mind including in our closets this fall. One pick was a shredded, stapled, pinned pair by Balmain, and another was a glittering sequin-encrusted selection from Zadig and Voltaire. Metallic accents matched with mild hues and thick cozy knits are an absolute must-wear for fall, combining the need for comfort and style into one seriously hot ensemble. Take a hint from these looks below!
Images via Denim Blog.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Balmain, denim shorts, elle france, Erin Wasson, sequined shorts
If you’re anything like us, then chances are you have a mad crush on anything Balmain. Bold shoulders, studs, leather, super-skinny jeans, and a killer rock n’ roll attitude—aside from the hefty price-point, what’s not to love? Well, lucky for us the French fashion house is introducing Pierre Balmain, a younger collection for both guys and gals that promises to keep enticing us with rockin’ designer duds for a lot less. And by the looks of it all there’s a whole lot for us to crush over from a two-toned dip-dyed denim skirt to killer zipper-laden denim trousers. Needless to say we can’t wait to see what the full collection has in store for us. We’ll definitely keep you posted!
Images via Style.com and WWD.
Tags: Balmain, Balmain diffusion collection, denim skirt, denim trousers, dip dyed denim skirt, Pierre Balmain, two-toned denim skirt, zipper-laden denim trousers
This one goes out to all the gals waiting in the wings for the first day of 70-something degrees & sunny (that beautiful moment where it becomes okay to wear short shorts in public sans-lace biker shorts). We’ve got the ultimate spring/summer denim cut-off shorts roundup to really get you in the mood. From dip-dyed DIY one of a kind to the standard blue jean classic (and we couldn’t help ourselves… we had to throw in a little Balmain too), there’s something in here for all the ladies who like to show a little leg! And don’t be discouraged if it’s not quite warm enough to rock these. That just means you have a couple more weeks to hit the gym.
1. Vintage Puple Blue Studded Short ($96) – buy it at Runway Dreamz.
2. True Religion Joey High Thigh Denim Shorts (about $332) – buy it at Jades24.
3. Balmain Frayed Denim Shorts (about $910) – buy it at Mrs H.
4. Vintage Yellow Dyed Denim Short ($91) – buy it at Runway Dreamz.
5. CURRENT/ELLIOTT Sugar Destroyed Denim Shorts ($225) – buy it at Style Bop.
6. KSUBI Mid-rise raw-edged rigid-denim shorts ($170) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
7. MinkPink Desert Fox Cutoff Shorts ($78) – buy it at Nasty Gal.
8. Balmain Tie & Die Denim Shorts ($1,760) – buy it at LUISAVIAROMA.
9. HORACE Ripped denim shorts (on sale $54) – buy it at Farfetch.
10. MOTO flag printed denim hotpants ($70) – buy it at Topshop.
Stay tuned for our upcoming tutorials on modifying your existing denim shorts to be just as killer as the ones you see above…
—Michelle Christina Larsen & Kathy Hassan
Tags: american flag shorts, Balmain, cut off shorts, denim shorts, destroyed denim, dip dye, frayed denim, Siwy, yellow denim
Noticing a trend here? Instead of couture gowns, we are seeing a lot of celebrities like Diane Kruger, gracing the covers of magazines in denim fashion. For Glamour Magazine‘s March 2011 issue, readers are treated to a buffet of denim looks from J Brand, Diesel, Balmain and other brands. We are loving the all-American and retro-centric Rockabilly chic looks, done tastefully in American flag themes and made complete by a carefully coiffed 1940s hairstyle with hard edged streetwear looks.
A former model herself, Diane certainly hasn’t lost her touch vamping and posturing for Glamour. She is also interviewed saying, “I truly, genuinely like clothes. Making them is an art form, and wearing them is a form of self-expression.” Read Diane’s full interview in Glamour Magazine, where she talks about her own style sensibility, boyfriend Joshua Jackson (TV’s “The Fringe”) and her latest movie,”Unknown” with Liam Neeson. Check out some of our favorite looks from Diane’s Glamour photo shoot!
Diane’s cover photo (left). Featured: Diesel shorts.
Featured: Theyksen’s Theory Posy denim jeans (left) and Balmain painted stretch jeans.
Featured: Diesel cropped jeans (left) and Balmain studded leather jacket and shirt.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Balmain, celebrity style, Diane Kruger, Diesel, J Brand, retro style, Rockabilly, Theysken's Theory
As Balmain reminded us repeatedly over the past year, metallics and denim are a match made in heaven. Whether it’s sparkles, studs, or a sleek panel of metallic mesh, this accent can turn a basic denim garment into something extremely festive (or totally badass). This New Year’s Eve, it’s time to toss the frou-frou cocktail dress and let the room know you’re there to party! Check out some of our favorite ways to wear metallic accessories and accents with your denim.
1. French fashion blogger extraordinaire Betty of Le Blog de Betty kicks around in some metal-toe boots by OFFICE (?95) – buy them at OFFICE.
2. It makes a lot of sense to turn to the makers of denim classics themselves to turn out compatible accessories to help illuminate your look. A metallic belt is functional, eye-catching, and sure to serve you well into the new year. We love this 1-SNAP-A belt by Diesel ($130) – buy it here.
3. Steal the show in this velvet vest with metallic thread embroidery and mirror detail! The ornate piece goes perfect with a pair of ripped cut-off jean shorts. Nasty Gal had this Marrakesh version for sale and it’s since been sold, but you can DIY, scour vintage shops, or try this gold-embellished nude bolero at $108.
4. New York-based glamour-expert and blogger-gone-style-icon The Glamourai layers with a metallic sequin cardigan over a pair of Hudson jeans. Metallic sequin blouse by Elizabeth and James ($185.50) – buy it at Beso.
5. The luxe golden accent jewelry and accessories at Chanel work perfectly when applied to denim. Pile on the bangles, jewels, and rings while keeping your denim attire simple to make a bold statement. Seen here via the Cherry Blossom Girl. Try these Giles & Brother golden bracelets ($168) from Net-A-Porter, or a Kenneth Jay Lane Double Cross Cuff ($231) from Shop Bop. For party goers on a budget, this beautiful Pelle Filigree Cuff ($20) from Alloy.
6. Taking #3 a bit further, Dries Van Noten SS/11 shows us that layering textured metallics on top and pairing with a pair of jeans creates a look that encompasses the spirit of partying in luxury and the careless vibe of downtown new york city. Image from JAK & JIL BLOG. Try this Diane Von Furstenberg ($545) from Cusp, paired with this VINCE sequin tea in antique gold ($295) from Revolve Clothing. Or try this eye-popping (and exceedingly affordable) Wet Seal variation in red.
With these styling tips and a whole universe full of after-Christmas sales, you’ll be able to rock party-tailored denim on the big night out and turn heads all year long.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Balmain, biker babe, cherry blossom girl, denim and metallics, Dries Van Noten, golden cuffs, jak & Jil, kenneth jay lane, le blog de betty, new years eve, party outfits
You, too, can have your own Balmain/Lady Gaga-inspired denim jacket. We asked DIY Queen Michelle Elaine, co-founder of FVNCY, to give us some step-by-steps on how to refashion our tired old denim jackets into fierce creations. Michelle Elaine (aka M.E.) also has an unhealthy obsession — and might I say fetish — for sequins, so we get some double DIY action here via a shredded jacket with peekaboo sequins.
1., 4., & 6. BALMAIN RTW Spring/Summer 2011 – via Vogue.
2. & 3. PLAY ME High Waist Sequin Short – buy it at REVOLVE Clothing.
5. Lada Gaga studded jacket as seen on her music video, “Telephone” – via Nitrolicious.
Follow M.E.’s simple step-by-step instructions and see where you can apply your own individual do-it-yourself look! Click below for more.
Tags: Balmain, denim jackets, DIY, Lady Gaga
We shined light on the Balmain Homme Spring 2011 lineup in September, fawning over the classic-cool college guy meets military stud appeal. Now the lookbook has dropped and stolen the show, with James Dean-worthy styling bathed in sun on a backdrop of neutrals. These looks translate perfectly from the most casual daytime routine to the front row of your favorite fly-by-night indie rock band concert. All hail Balmain!
You can see the full lookbook here at the Denim Blog.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Balmain, homme, look book, red leather, Spring 2011, trench coat
Its no secret that some of the biggest must-have items the last few seasons have been basics. From t-shirts to t-shirt dresses, tanks, cardigans, henleys–you name it–these simple stables have been key items in many collections, and therefore many wardrobes. With stores such as American Apparel taking this trend to astronomical heights, and with designers such Alexander Wang and Robert Geller launching lines focusing on a more streamline and essential look, its safe to say that we’re getting back to basics. But what does that mean? Well, for starters, collections based on basics mean lots, and lots, of separates. That means you can pick and choose what you want and mix it in with your personal wardrobe. Think of all the great things you can pair with your jeans! Here are a few of my personal favorite basics roaming around, that I know will look perfect with all your denim:
1. Try a short sleeve sweater in a tee style with any pair a jeans for a more casual look.
2. Layer this great T by Alexander Wang top with an oversized cardigan, tuck those jeans into some boots and you’re good to go for a great Fall look!
3. This plunging scoop-neck t-shirt from Mary-Kate and Ashley’s The Row is great for any day of the week.
4. Glam up any pair of jeans with this Balmain sequins tee for a night out on the town or a date!
5. Try an American Apparel basic v-neck with a high waisted denim skirt for a flirty ensemble.
6. Short, long, heathered or sheer, T by Alexander Wang has a selection for any occation.
How are you wearing your basics? What jeans go best with these timeless staples? Share with us, we want to know!
— Sandoval Gomez
Tags: Alexander Wang, American Apparel, Balmain, Basics, Robert Geller, T by Alexander Wang, The Row