After years of public school education the association between September and that back-to-school anticipation has been burnt onto our synapses. This antsy feeling often results in a strong compulsion to get prepared for the changes autumn brings, in other words, binge-shopping. The women on the Denim Therapy team always turn first to ASOS to satisfy this urge. The UK online retailer started in 2000 and launched ASOS Marketplace in 2010. This new expansion to their site serves as a platform for independent boutiques to sell their goods. We try to support our fellow small businesses whenever we can and ASOS Marketplace is a pretty good place to start if you like the styles the online giant sells. Check out our favorite denim pieces for fall sold on the Marketplace below.
Ladies, printed jeans are the style du jour, so have fun this summer and stand out from the crowd in these decorative jeans that will stand alone on its own. Since we’re certain you wouldn’t go out half naked in public (with the few exceptions of certain celebrities), we put together some key looks that will keep the spotlight on your graphic jeans, while making you the star with a carefully pulled-together look.
1. Topshop Ponte Boyfriend Blazer 2. Citizens of Humanity Mandy Floral 3. Jimmy Choo Margy Woven Heel
1. Topshop Rolled Sleeve Shirt 2. J Brand Baroque Floral 3. ASOS Padlock Platforms
1. Topshop Sleeveless Drape Front 2. See by Chloe Arizona Printed 3. Giuseppe Zanotti Ankle Boots
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: ASOS, Citizens of Humanity, floral jeans, fun jeans, Giuseppe Zanotti, graphic jeans, J Brand, Jimmy Choo, party outfits, printed jeans, See by Chloe, summer jeans, Topshop
Minimal, refined and clean, white jeans serve as the perfect blank slate for your summer styling sessions. From day to evening, you can wear white denim. Just pair your crisp jeans with bright, bold colors for day (neon, too), or metallic and dark hues for evening. The trick is to mirror what you see in nature for the perfect summer street style. We’ve rounded up a half-dozen pairs of cool white jeans, whether cropped, flared or skinny, to suit your summer plans. Which pairs would you choose?
1. Mother Denim Cropped Skinny 2. MIH Jeans Marrakesh Flare 3. rag & bone/JEAN Mid-Rise Skinny
4. A.P.C. Cured Cream Jeans 5. James Jeans Boyfriend Shorts 6. ASOS Supersoft Ultra Skinny
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: A.P.C., ASOS, hot weather style, James Jeans, jeans for women, MiH Jeans, mother denim, rag & bone, Spring Jeans, summer jeans, summer style, white jeans
Spring can be slightly unpredictable, what with freak rain storms and days of blissful sun. For those who refuse to lug around their over-sized coats, consider the denim jacket as your new spring fashion staple item. Now re-fashioned in every desirable fabric weight available to the average gentleman, you can be just as dressy or paired down as you like. Take a look at some new fabrications of the jeans jacket: everything from the classic to country-club acceptable. Yes, even colored denim options are brought back from years past, with a fresh point of view in structure and tailoring.
1. AllSaints Powder Denim Jacket
2. Burberry Brit Pocket-Front Slim-Fit Denim Blazer
3. Denim & Supply Railroad Striped Denim Jacket
4. Cheap Monday Tobias Denim Jacket
5. Naked & Famous Denim Classic Denim Jacket
6. ASOS Colored Denim Jacket in Rose
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: AllSaints, ASOS, Burberry Brit, Cheap Monday, Denim & Supply, denim jackets, jeans jackets, menswear, Naked & Famous, Outerwear, spring fashion
Let’s face it: men also need options when it comes to jeans. While we agree that not every man should wear skinny jeans, some men can really rock a pair. And, for the slimmer men out there, a pair of skinnies are the only ones that will fit properly on their bodies. So, without further adieu, we rounded up nine pairs of skinny jeans that caught our eyes, both for the washes and treatments, and for the potential to flatter the various shapes of the male form. You’ll be surprised how good you look in them. Whether you’re a musician or a college professor, we think you’ll find a wearable pair of jeans to wear this season.
1. Ksubi Van Winkle in Dull Metal ($245) – buy it at REVOLVE Clothing.
2. Levi’s 511 Dark Indigo skinny ($90) – buy it at SSENSE.
3. Right: ASOS Carrot Fit skinny jeans in Khaki ($90) – buy it at ASOS.
1. Chambers Waxed Overdye Slim Straight Leg jeans in ($132) – buy it at REVOLVE Clothing.
2. Edwin Sen Japanese Red Selvage skinny jeans ($168.58) – buy it at ASOS.
3. Unbranded Skinny Selvedge jean ($78) – buy it at Urban Outfitters.
1. THEM Atelier Magma Distressed Skinny Jeans ($121) – buy it at REVOLVE Clothing.
2. Nudie Thin Finn Blue ($250) – buy it at SSENSE.
3. 1969 Skinny Fit Jeans in red ($69.95) – buy it at Gap.
What, red jeans? Read Denim Therapy staffer Eric Schmidt’s review of his slim fit OPENMARKET jeans in red.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: 1969, ASOS, Chambers, drop crotch jeans, Edwin, Gap, Ksubi, Levi's Jeans, men's skinny jeans, men's slim jeans, Nudie, skinny jeans for men, slim jeans, Them Atelier, tight jeans for men, Unbranded
Looking for an easy way to give your wardrobe an instant revamp? Get into one of the seasons hottest must-haves: coated denim! Their wax finish gives any look a casual-cool vibe and instantly dresses up any look—totally perfect for fall! Pair them with a thick casual tee, chunky knit cardigan, multi-tone scarf, and a heavy wedge for a relaxed meets edgy look. Feeling tough? Black coated jeans are perfect if leather isn’t your thing. Throw on a cool mesh jacket, rocker tee, biker inspired boots, and a trendy feather earring for something bit more the bohemian grunge side.
1. Topshop knitted cropped shirt ($80) — buy it at Topshop.
2. Bajra ombre wool scarf ($298) — buy it at Intermix.
3. Jessica Simpson wedges ($90) — buy it at Heels.com.
4. J Brand Agnes wax cropped jeans ($140) — buy it at The Outnet.
5. Alexander Wang chunky knit cardigan ($270) — buy it at The Outnet.
1. Mike Gonzalez mesh tunic ($232) — buy it at American Rag.
2. And That pheasant feather and suede earring ($30) — buy it at And That.
3. Rebel Yell PYT rocker tee ($69) — buy it at The Trend Boutique.
4. Levi’s Made & Crafted wax skinny jeans ($175) — buy it at Net-A-Porter.
5. French Connection Joby Heeled Chelsea boot ($315) — buy it at ASOS.
Tags: american rag, And That, ask the denim stylist, ASOS, coated denim, fall 2011 trends, fall looks, fall style, feather earing, French Connection, how to wear coated denim, How to wear it, J Brand Agnes Wax Cropped Jeans, levi's made and crafted, levi's made and crafted wax skinny jeans, Mike Gonzalez, rebel yell, Topshop, waxed denim
Contrary to popular belief, men also have trouble finding the right fit, when it comes to jeans. Thanks to the denim industry, a multitude of fits have been conceived to break open the shackles of boring, constrained male silhouettes. Consider the Carrot fit jeans: built roomy in the thigh area, dropped crotch, and tapered down to a straight leg. Depending on the cut of the jean, a man with muscular thighs can carry the carrot jeans off like a slim or straight leg, without cutting off circulation. Warning: if you are on the short side, look for Carrot fit jeans that begin the taper above the knees. If the thigh is too baggy, your thighs will look bigger, unless that’s the look you were going for.
(L to R, Top) Nudie Jeans Big Bengt Carrot Jeans, ASOS Dark Wash Carrot Fit Jeans, TopMan Raw Indigo Arc Leg Carrot Fit Jeans, and Diesel Krooley 8A0 Tapered Jeans.
(L to R, Bottom) AllSaints Gun Fit, Unconditional Side Zip Carrot Jeans, G-Star Raw ‘Morris’ Tapered Jeans, and TopMan Bleached Denim Carrot Fit Jeans.
— Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: AllSaints, ASOS, carrot jeans, Diesel, G-Star Raw, Nudie, Topman, Unconditional
Photo by Courtesy Photo
Edwin is returning to the U.S. market this fall after a two year absence, due to the exchange rate between the yen and the dollar. A new partnership with The Foundation, a New york based sales and distribution partner, will help Edwin to relaunch in the U.S. with their first men’s denim collection.
The men’s collection consists of four fits, from slim to a traditional straight leg. Washes range from raw to full vintage looks, with many styles featuring Edwin’s signature buckle-back detail. All produced in Japan, prices will range from $225 to $300, with special product embellished with sterling silver hardware going as high as $700.
???We wanted to launch with the brand??™s top-of-the-line Japanese product. As time goes by, we??™ll bring prices down by bringing in some product that isn??™t made in Japan,??? noted Langsdorf, a partner of The Foundation (WWD).
Edwin will be available in 75 specialty stores in August, including Bergdorf Goodman Men, Scoop, Atrium, American Rag and Fred Segal Man, as well as Revolveclothing.com and four Bloomingdale’s locations. Otherwise, Edwin jeans for both men and women are available on-line at international websites such as ASOS, YOOX, Cooshti, and Stuarts London.
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: ASOS, Cooshti, Edwin, Stuarts London, The Foundation, Yoox