5. The new year may have started, but we haven’t forgotten 2011 (yet). According to Advertising Age, Rihanna’s Armani Jeans ad campaign was voted the sexiest of the year. You can’t deny there’s something seriously smoking about skinny jeans, a leather jacket, and RiRi. It’s not rocket science.
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and other irresistible glimpses of inside info. Catch up on what’s happening (and what’s definitely not happening) and browse our personal picks after scanning the web this morning. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Tangerine tango is the freshest color of the new year (according to Pantone, at least) and Dylan George‘s mid-rise skinny jeans are way ahead of the 2012 curve with their Keira style in coated mango.
2. As a face of DKNY Jeans, Ashley Greene unveiled her simple, pared-down spring 2012 ad in Times Square. It’s hard to get any bigger than that!
3. Take a moment to forgive yourself for the sins of denim outfits past. Then watch this 1987 JC Penney Fashion Flash video and LOL at the “pulled-together denim looks” without a hint of guilt.
4. In eco-friendly denim news, Replay Jeans now replicates the look of worn-in, vintage jeans with a “Laser Wash” that utilizes no water and no sandblasting. Instead, they’re using ozone washing machines. How high-tech–and downright cool–does that sound?
5. Norwegian label Anti Denim has teamed up with heavy metal band 1349 for a new collection of limited edition, custom-made jeans that are made to rock out in.
Tags: Anti Denim, Ashley Greene, denim fashion show, DKNY Jeans, Dylan George, eco-friendly jeans, Replay Jeans, tangerine tango
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and other irresistible tid bits of denim industry inside info & our personal picks after scanning the web. Check out what’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. Check out Armie Hammer on the cover of the October issue of Details Magazine, in the Jake Jacket in Clip wash by AG. Looking sharp!
2. Earnest Sewn dropped their latest style of twill jeans for men—a few new hues in their most popular fit, The Fulton. With closure options and a bit of stretch, this is a great jean for fall. Check out the full spectrum of colors.
3. Jane Aldridge from Sea Of Shoes wears an incredible Ralph Lauren denim patchwork jacket from spring 2006 season—and we love the way she’s interpreting it.
4. Here’s a denim pick we can’t stop daydreaming about—this MiH jeans button-up Melbourne denim skirt is the ultimate fall wardrobe staple, and it’s worth the $185 investment.
5. Twilight star Ashley Greene is the new face of DKNY, via one year contract to represent their denim line. Says Ashley, “I’ve always loved Donna Karan’s creations. To be a part of the brands’ message is incredibly exciting because it feels like such an organic fit.”
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: AG Jeans, Armie Hammer, Ashley Greene, denim news, denim skirt, Details Magazine, DKNY, Earnest Sewn, Jane Aldridge from Sea Of Shoes, MiH Jeans, Ralph Lauren denim patchwork jacket, Twilight Saga, twill jeans for men
When you fall madly in love with a denim brand, you just can’t help but be loyal! Perhaps that’s the story behind Fidelity Denim‘s name. They stay true to the blue with their fabric, fit, and finish. They have an endless variety of basics with unique seaming, dual stitch color, and aged hardware for both men and women that give a distinct character to their line, making it very hard to cheat on (sorry, we can’t help ourselves from making fidelity puns!). Read on to hear what designer Jason Trotzuk had to tell us…
Denim Therapy: Lets start from the beginning. How did you know you wanted to be a designer?
Fidelity: I started with hand painting blue jeans in my parents basement. Selling them on Robson St in Vancouver at a few hundred dollars a piece. It eventually led me to my love affair with denim and I started up my first company. I founded Fidelity in January of 2005 and the rest is history!
DT: Are there other denim brands you consider your immediate competition? How do you differentiate yourself from the hundreds of popular denim brands afloat right now?
Fidelity: NO immediate competition to speak of, we feel that our fit and quality is high above the rest. We have an incredibly loyal following which I believe is a true result of our amazing product.
DT: Do you have any pre-designing rituals?
Fidelity: MUSIC…a pre design ritual is getting a heavy dose of get all fired up and kick the shit out of the fashion norm…. My always dependable go to favs are AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen…newer stuff that gets me going are the Black Eyed Peas, Arcade Fire, Keisha…anything that gets your heart pumping
I always like to sit down and review the past few seasons of Fidelity’s fits and washes. From there I review current trends and runway fashions while continuously thinking about culture and lifestyle of our customer.
DT: Describe the person who represents your ideal target customer—the customer you have in mind when you’re planning a collection.
Fidelity: I would say that our mission is to design premium product that incorporates style, fashion and quality.
DT: Can you give us hint about what’s next?
Fidelity: Our current Spring line is heavily influenced by the 70s, the Summer line goes with a relaxed, classic beach house esthetic and Fall will round us off by going back to basics with seductive silhouettes and a darker colour palate.
DT: What would be your dream collaboration? Any plans of that in the future?
Fidelity: I would have to say that Chanel would be the ultimate dream collaboration. Chanel has an incredible history and defines high end. Everything they do is perfection…timeless perfection.
DT: What are the most popular washes/fits in the line? What are your favorites, and how would you style them?
Fidelity: Currently the Scoop (low rise skinny) and Sequoia (low rise skinny boot) are huge hits. The great thing about these styles is that they can easily be dressed up or down. For Spring the Aloe (wide leg) has been gaining some press coverage as it is perfect for the 70s vibe this spring season.
DT: Do you have any favorite/least favorite denim trends right now?
Fidelity: Our new premium flex fabric from Japan (used for Ace) is going to become a favourite for everyone.
DT: Street style and style blogs are huge in the industry right now as a source of inspiration, influencing the high end labels rather than vice versa. How much does street style influence your designing?
Fidelity: Street style impacts our design because of the influence that these individuals and bloggers have on our customer. Street style is now a part of our culture and in turn has a large influence on the design aspect of the industry.
DT: How many pairs of denim do YOU own?
Fidelity: Funny thing- although I own more pairs then I can count, but I have 3 favourites, and I just wear those…you don’t need lots of jeans…just the right ones…that’s why people need to try Fidelity…its the only pair you’ll need and want to wear…no kidding!!!!!
DT: Favorite celeb wearing your brand?
Fidelity: Ashley Greene has been spotted out and about multiple times rocking a pair of Fidelity’s as well as other fabulous people such as Rihanna and Megan Fox!
Check out the lookbook below:
You can “Like” their facebook page to become a fan.
Tags: AC/DC, arcade fire, Ashley Greene, Black Eyed Peas, Chanel, Fidelity Denim, jason trotzuk, keisha, led zeppelin, megan fox, rihanna, van halen, vancouver