All photos credited to the author.
With Men’s Fashion Week came a flurry of activity here in New York. Amy Leverton left London behind and came stateside to promote her book Denim Dudes. Amy has worked in the industry for ten years and is currently the Director of Denim and Youth Culture at WGSN. For Denim Dudes Amy traveled the world photographing and interviewing eccentric denimheads. She chronicled the most interesting styles and global trends in denim cult culture. The book is stocked in most book stores and is also available on Amazon. The New York book launch was hosted by Loren Cronk at Loren in Greenpoint and we couldn’t endure the thought of missing it. The storefront doubles as a workshop where Loren still designs and constructs many jeans by hand. The small shop was packed tight with denimheads on a humid night in Brooklyn and we couldn’t have dreamt of a better venue.
Very amazing vintage jackets for sale.
Sewing patterns, bicycles, and colored lights hanging from the ceiling.
–Emily B. McIntosh
Tags: American Denim, Amy Leverton, book launch, boutique, Denim Dudes, event, hand-made, Loren Cronk, market week, New York Fashion Week, selvedge, workshop
Last week at Project we had the chance to stop by the Jean Shop booth. Read on and check out the photos to see what we gleaned from our quick encounter during our preview of their Spring 2016 collection.
Conversations with denim heads combined with our intuition tells us that overalls and coveralls are going to make a strong comeback next year. Below is a prototype of a potential piece.
The personal touch of patches and repairs is timeless and certainly not going out of style any time soon. We saw extreme distressing, apparent darning, and patches galore during Market Week.
We strongly approve of the women’s denim vest in Jean Shop’s Spring 2016 collection.
We are always excited to see selvedge denim crossing into the women’s market. The Jean Shop Spring 2016 women’s selvedge shorts are kind of fulfilling our fantasies. We can only imagine the coolest of babes rocking orange selvedge shorts in the summer heat.
Jean Shop’s famous orange stitching and pockets.
A great styling suggestion after our own hearts from Jean Shop: denim on denim on denim. Triple the denim triple the fun.
—Emily B. McIntosh
Tags: American Denim, DENIM, Jean Shop, menswear, Spring 2016
There’s just under a month left to find the perfect gift for everyone on your list, but if your loved ones are as crazy about denim as you are, you need look no further! We know what you’re thinking—it’s hard enough to find the perfect fit of jeans for yourself, so how could you buy them for someone else? But we’re one step ahead, with a less time-consuming alternative. After all, jeans are only one element of the wonderful world of denim…
1. For the DIY divas in your life (or anyone who can’t afford to drop lots of cash every time something trendy and fabulous hits the denim market), try this book! It’s the gift that’ll keep on giving until they can’t hold their scissors anymore. 99 Ways to Cut, Sew & Deck Out Your Denim, by Justina Blakeney, Ellen Schultz, and Faith Blakeney ($17) – buy it at Amazon.
2. A good gift isn’t just aesthetically pleasing these days, as you probably know from perusing other gift guides full of tech gadgets and time management tools. But we’re sure your efficient gift recipient will love this stylish, functional belt. It comes equipped loops for holding anything from eyebrow pencils to screwdrivers. See by Chlo? Pocket-detail denim belt ($150) – buy it at The Outnet.
3. A sense of humor is crucial when you can only afford a $1.00 gift, but as long as you make people laugh, no one’s going to blame you! This charming little pin will look great on bags, coats, or guitar straps So hey, why not? Bean Forest “TAKE OFF YOUR PANTS” Pin ($1) – buy it at Bean Forest.
4. With the rise of Etsy.com and the DIY revolution, beautiful hand-made gifts are more accessible and affordable than ever. We found this classy shoulder bag and wish we could get one for everyone in the office! Hand-made Strapped Shoulder Bag in black denim ($75) – buy it at Definition of Self.
5. For the biker babe or rocker dude on your list, something a bit more bad-ass to make their season bright. These fingerless gloves are half leather, half distressed denim, and it’ll ensure no one thinks twice about messing around at the crazy, intoxicated New Year’s Eve bash. Maison Fabre Denim/Leather Fingerless Mittens ($133) – buy it at Saks Fifth Avenue.
6. No, that price is not a typo, and this gift is truly reserved for the most gung-ho of denim fanatics… or anyone looking to be schooled thoroughly on the entire industry from A to Z. If they want to know it all, this is the closest thing to denim university. The Denim Bible Jeans Encyclopedia II, by Sportswear International ($1,546) – buy it at Amazon.
7. A cute, versatile denim hat to cap off a perfect winter outfit (and keep someone’s head warm). The neutral gray color allows for mixing with any outwear they already have, and the very nice price will keep you as jolly as a Christmas elf. Calvin Klein Martial Cap ($25) – buy it at Calvin Klein.
8. An accessory to wrap around the neck, tie up like a turban, or employ in apartment decor, this Diesel scarf has a vintage charm with contemporary edge. They come in several other colors and designs. DIESEL 2-KRAFS Scarf & Tie ($ 60) – buy it at DIESEL.
9. If you prefer to be remembered fondly during the post-holiday couch potato TV marathon your best friend annually partakes in, perhaps something more suited to lounging is in order. American Denim Square Denim Pillow ($24) – buy it at Specialty Linens.
Need more ideas? Try the please-everyone Denim Therapy Gift Card, a D.I.Y. version of any of these gift ideas above, or the super-cool MS&Co denim sleeves we featured earlier this week. Have your own ideas? Drop by our facebook page and let us know! Happy gift-giving!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: 99 Ways to Cut, American Denim, by Sportswear International, Calvin Klein, christmas 2010, Denim Bible Jeans Encyclopedia II, denim gift guide, Diesel, holiday 2010, holiday gift guide, Maison Fabre, See by Chloe, Sew & Deck Out Your Denim, SHOPPING, the perfect gift