Across the deliciously broad spectrum of potential jean wear-ables available right now, a few pieces stand out as gems the denim-hungry shopper should pause to ponder. Some have just hit the shelves and some are recycled looks from spring (which, with the right styling, carry over seamlessly), but the common thread is evident: Intense style with a dash of playful intrigue. Mix and match our picks below with your filmy tees, cable knit sweaters, and brown leather boots for fall.
1. Double-pocket denim collar shirts are the most happening item on the market right now, appearing in variations at every price point! This versatile top will work into any ensemble. Pixie Market Denim Top ($93) – buy it at Pixie Market.
2. It’s no secret that we love Siwy–their chic, incredible fit comes with a complimentary dose of street-smart sex appeal. Try these poly-elastic blend bottoms with a high-rise back. Siwy Jeans Rose Velour in Linger ($195) – buy it at REVOLVEclothing.
3. Princess seams add attractive contour to this denim pencil skirt, while an edgy wash and zip-front are good for class all day and the dance floor afterward. MY LOVELY JEAN Denim skirt ($168) – buy it at YOOX.
4. Here’s an adorable soft-pleated skirt that won’t be a major investment. The big roomy pockets and flouncy bow-tie in the front are too sweet to pass up. Life In Progress Denim Swing Skirt ($23) – buy it at Forever21.
5. This cut-out argyle top has plenty of negative space opportunity for layers with pop colors or lace blouses. Pieced Argyle Boatneck ($170) – buy it at Opening Ceremony.
6. Still a favorite on the scene, the boyfriend jean looks super-cute paired with heels, Keds, and lace-up wedges alike. Mix up boyish appeal with your lady charms! DEBI Boyfriend Jeans ($180) – buy it at DIESEL.
7. Some of us may be window shopping on this one, but it’s no sin to be inspired by the higher end options out there! This gorgeous utilitarian denim jacket is a classic in essence, and you’ll look as fierce as an aviator without having to lift a finger. Alexander McQueen Strong-shouldered denim jacket ($1,785) – buy it at Net-A-Porter.
8. Art school darlings, Jackson Pollock fans, and any who wish to turn heads, there’s no better way to do it than a pair of high contrast jeans with an intense print like this. Proenza Schouler High Waist Painted Jeans ($550) – buy it at Opening Ceremony.
9. No sense stopping with basic woven silhouettes—this unexpectedly sexy denim brassiere is structured, stylish, and just one click away. We love the contrast black band around the hem, too. Dungaree Denim Bra ($44) – buy it at TOPSHOP.
Gents… stay tuned for the mens’ edition!
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Alexander McQueen, denim trends, Diesel, fall 2010, Opening Ceremony, Pixie Market, Proenza Schouler, shopping guide, Siwy
Cropped jeans have traditionally been the staple denim fixture for fair weather days, especially in the summer. I mean, why would you wear cropped jeans when it’s probably snowing, raining or typhooning outside your window? Is there such a thing as ankle frostbite?
As we experience the last weeks of winter, there’s no time like the present for breaking into your spring denim reserve to lay out your month’s worth of cropped looks. Work your Ankle and Capri style jeans. I don’t recommend Clamdiggers or Bermudas, as they’re just too short.
Alexander McQueen Cutout Leather ankle boots, available at Net-a-Porter.
And this is why we wear platform booties and heels. They are your new best accessory. I love how your jeans look when they meet with your booties, above the ankles!
On the short side? Wear your petite jeans or roll up your denim. Rock the platforms. The look balances out your legs and creates an elongated illusion. Fashion can be functional, contrary to traditional belief.
7 For All Mankind Gwenevere Crop Skinny Jeans, available at Shopbop.
Rich & Skinny White Skinny Flood Crop Jeans, available at SmartBargains.
J BRAND Seven Eighths Low Rise Cropped Pencil Leg, available at Revolve Clothing.
The only dilemma you’ll find is whether you are showing off your cropped jeans look or your platform booties look. Oh, but, do you really care?
– Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Alexander McQueen, cropped jeans, J Brand, Rich & Skinny, Siwy
Follow the yellow brick road, well, more like the snow slushed sidewalks if you’re in NYC, but nevertheless, girl, you still have to look FIERCE! Designers do denim and shoes never looked better!
Whether it’s high or low fashion, there’s something for every budget.
Dolce & Gabbana Denim Leopard Print Pumps, $595.00
Dolce & Gabbana @ Nordstroms
Alexander McQueen Denim Blue Zipper Pump $794.00
YSL Tribute Denim Platform Sandal, $895.00
YSL @ Neiman Marcus
Valentino ‘Petale’ Denim Ballerina Flat, $495.00
Valentino @ Neiman Marcus
Lanvin Cross-over denim sandal, $760.00
Lanvin @ net-a-porter
Low-end fashion shoes:
Forever21 Lindy Denim Bootie, $24.80
Elie Tahari “Dahlia” Driver with Zipper Flower, $198.00
Elie Tahari @ Bloomingdales
Go Jane Peep-toe Slingback Wedge Sandal, $16.60
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Alexander McQueen, Dolce & Gabbana, Elie Tahari, Forever21, GoJane, Valentino, YSL
Gentleman, one-stop shopping at oki-ni to kick start 2010 with some dazzling designer pieces to elevate your wardrobe at more affordable prices.
Every man needs a little avant garde minimalism added to his repetoire to inject some mystery and artful panache to set him apart from the crowd. Let’s start off with some denim jeans from vintage Levi’s to progressively hip paint-treated Martin Margiela’s to kick things up a notch!
(from left to right)
Levi’s Vintage 1954 501-Z, now $121.36, originally $241.11
Martin Margiela Regular Trousers, now $178.00, originally $354.39 – a trouser jean in a light indigo denim.
Martin Margiela Regular Painted Jeans, now $255.58, originally $509.74 – a white painted wax coating with the cracked effect.
Martin Margiela Cotton Jeans, now $145.64, originally $289.66 – maroon twill corduroy for a splash of color.
Alexander McQueen Button Fly 11 oz Stretch Jeans, now $199.04, originally $396.47 – slim cut washed black denim.
Gorgeous jackets and coats are always a great investment:
(from left to right)
Alexander McQueen Mohair Peacoat with Shearling, now $684.51, originally $1367.41 – burgundy mohair mix double breast coat with an ultra soft shearling collar and shearling trimmed pockets.
Satyenkumar Panel Tailored Jacket, now $336.59, originally $671.56 – skinny cord single breast blazer in navy with a black centre stipre fron and back with black corduro collar.
Martin Margiela Replica Coat now $801.02, originally $1600.43 – amazing double breasted long length coat in a cream wool and alpaca mix. This is part of Margiela??™s esteemed Replica collection of new garments inspired by vintage pieces.
Nom De Guerre Woolen Blazer, now $356.01, originally $710.40 – slim cut single breasted jacket.
Fabulous footwear are a must to complete any outfit:
(from left to right)
Martin Margiela Ankle Boot now $417.50, originally $833.39 – simple tan ankle boot in a treated leather.
Martin Margiela Brushed effect shoe, now $315.55 originally $629.49 – soft simple shoe in treated grey calf leather.
Mr. Hare Wolfe Oxford Shoe, now $275.10, originally $538.58 – simple black oxfords, a must have staple for every man’s wardrobe.
Shop the sale at www.oki-ni.com
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Alexander McQueen, Levi's, martin margiela, Mr. Hare Wolfe, Nom de Guerre, oki-ni, Satyenkumar
English designer, Alexander McQueen, is best known for his controversial and complex mixtures of patterns, colors and rebellious runway shows. His denim pieces on the other hand are more restrained, but always with edgy silhouettes that can easily blend into your wardrobe to up the antee on any ensemble.
Get the Wet-Look denim jacket and skinny jeans for a full denim outfit or wear them separately to dress up or dress down key fall and winter pieces that will spice things up at the office or out on the town.
Wet-look denim jacket, $1,485
Alexander McQueen redefines your working wardrobe with this zip embellished black denim jacket.
Wet-look skinny jeans, $895
Alexander McQueen’s black wet-look skinny jeans are a sleek alternative to leather trousers and form the basis of a seriously cool silhouette.
My LUST accessory by McQueen!
Alexander McQueen Knuckle Duster clutch, $1,595
Alexander McQueen’s Swarovski crystal-embellished petrol knuckle duster clutch is dark and deliciously fabulous that will add instant punch to your evening outfit!
Buy Alexander McQueen at net-a-porter.com
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Alexander McQueen
A message from our friends at oki-ni for their blow-out sale on some fantastic brands:
To clear room for some of the amazing autumn/winter pieces that are winging their way to us from all corners of the globe??¦we??™ve decided the time has come for our sale??™s final mark down.
We think there are still some genuine bargains to be had, and from some of our most loved brands too. In particular there are some pieces of timeless Alexander McQueen and Jil Sander tailoring, some fantastic Folk knitwear, iconic footwear from Adidas, Vans and Diadora and some essential casual wear from YMC and Haversack. All are classics in the making and all up to 70% off.
Get on it.
The oki-ni team
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Adidas, Alexander McQueen, Folk, Haversack, Jil Sander, martin margiela, Mon De Guerre, oki-ni, Raf Simons, Vans, YMC
Sure, jeans are a must have staple of any man’s wardrobe, but an outfit is never complete without a great blazer, shirt and accessories. With only three days left until Father’s Day, shop for some great gifts to polish off dad’s Father’s Day look.
Engineered Garment Andover Jacket, $219
Engineered Garment’s classic cotton three button blazer. A versatile spring/summer blazer worn effortlessly with jeans, chinos or shorts.
Alexander McQueen Gingham Placket Sport Shirt – Pink, $225.25
Brighten up his day and his look with this great fitted shirt.
Lauren Urstadt Black Leather Belt with Covered Studs, $125
This great understated rock ‘n’ roll belt gives you a little edge without being flashy.
Band of Outsiders Reconstructed Tassled Slip-on Shoes, $200
Sperry Topsider redux for a sleek modern look that looks great with everything from jeans to dressy slacks.
For a vast selection of affordable ties, ascots, pocket squares and even shirts, the Tie Bar is a one-stop shopping on-line store.
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Alexander McQueen, Band of Outsiders, Engineered Garment, Lauren Urstadt, The Tie Bar