Interested in shopping for a good cause? HauteLook’s Denim Unites for Peace charity sale event begins Wednesday, May 18, featuring twelve top denim brands which offer men’s and women’s denim discounted up to 60% off, with 100% of proceeds to benefit Falling Whistles, a campaign for peace in Congo. Brand on sale include 7 For All Mankind, Acne, AG Adriano Goldschied, Citizens of Humanity, Current/Elliott, Hudson Jeans, Joe’s Jeans, Kasil Jeans, Siwy Denim and True Religion.
Sale ends this Friday, May 20. Shop Denim Unites for Peace at HauteLook.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: 7 for All Mankind, Acne, AG Jeans, charity sale, Citizens of Humanity, Current/Elliott, denim charity, Falling Whistles, Hudson Jeans, J Brand, Joe's Jeans, kasil, peace in the Congo, Siwy Denim, True Religion
Posted May 17 2011 in Sales
News, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. What’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include? Email us!
1. Going for the Green! Levi’s® brand was ranked the #1 jeans company (and one of the overall top apparel brands) in GoodGuide’s independent consumer guide to the most socially responsible on the market. Hats off! Or should we say…jeans off?
2. When you’re talking to the in-crowd of denim-heads, the power suit is blue from head to toe. Acne‘s Black Sweden Denim Blazer (and matching Push Denim Pants) will make a statement, guaranteed. Expect to pay an arm and a leg, though.
3. Jeans for under $100! Silver Jeans Co. have new four styles in for you to browse, from relaxed skinny to straight leg, in a variety of washes & treatments. Check them out at the Denim Blog before you pop over to Silver Jeans Co.!
4. Into exlcusives? Tenue de N?mes and Raleigh Denim have produced 24 pairs of jeans made from an exclusive textile—reports Denim Geek, it’s “an indigo dyed 11.5 oz selvage canvas” that breaks in just like denim. Available at Tenue de N?mes, they’ll set you back approximately $360, but these are probably worth the bragging rights.
5. Denim Maniac has your first peek into Japanese denim brand Spellbound’s Autumn/Winter 2011 collection—we love the casual, industrial look of layered, functional menswear with loose fits & plenty of pockets.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Acne, denim collaboration, denim links, denim news, denim updates, Japanese denim, Levi's, limited edition denim, Raleigh Denim, spellbound, Tenue De Nîmes
Mr. Porter, a new retail spin-off from international e-commerce darling Net-a-Porter, quietly opened some exclusive shopping hours for their “Founding Members” today, so we thought we’d share 5 of our favorite luxury denim pieces with you. The high-end men’s online retailer opens to the masses tomorrow morning (Tuesday), so get some drool time in now!
1. These will endure all your abuse and still love you back. Acne Mic Rigid Straight Jeans ($200).
2. A lighter weight jean with creamy contrast seams: both eye-catching and comfortable. Burberry Brit Steadman Straight Leg Jeans ($195).
3. Really, is there an explanation needed for this? Lanvin Denim and Leather Sneakers ($415).
4. The Sartorialist can’t seem to resist a solid, denim jacket, so be prepared to be his next photo subject! Maison Martin Margiela Denim Blazer ($1,150).
5. Individually hand-crafted selvedge for the discerning man. Jean Shop Rocker Straight Leg jean ($290).
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Acne, Burberry, Jean Shop, Lanvin, Maison Martin Margiela, Mr Porter, Net-A-Porter, SHOPPING
Sick of consistent surface denim and a lack of zig-zagging contours? Never fear—paneled and and patchwork denim is rampant! Featured as one of Refinery29′s recent top Fall denim trends, you won’t have to walk (or click) far to find a pair that you love.
The trend seemingly snowballed via recent deliveries of panel-crazy cocktail dresses, worn tight as seran wrap to accentuate the torso as much as possible. Antonio Berardi and Versace are too obvious culprits–and more recently designers like Jen Kao have joined the geometric seams game. In jeans, the star players are designers like Helmut Lang, Rick Owens, Marc Jacobs, and Acne. Check out a few of our favorites below:
1. Helmut Lang Denim Smoke Wash Grey Combo Jeans ($230) – buy it at Shopbop.
2. TOPSHOP Chain Seamed Skinny Jeans in Grey ($100) – buy it at TOPSHOP.
3. Acne Black Paneled Skinny Jean ($313) – buy it at My Wardrobe.
4. SUPERFINE Leather SWIRL Jeans ($460) – buy it at Ssense.
5. Selected Femme Paneled Denim Skinny Jeans ($118) – buy it at ASOS.
6. Woodford & Co Denim Jodhpurs ($278) – buy it at Shopbop.
The trend expands to jackets, especially in patchwork (check out the Opening Ceremony jacket we featured the other day), and will likely spread steadily to other fits and fibers.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Acne, Helmut Lang, jean trends, jeans, Marc Jacobs, paneled denim, patchwork, Rick Owens, seaming
I guess the economy hasn’t hurt ACNE too much? It’s pretty exciting to hear that one of my favorite denim brands is growing and expanding. Too bad I’m not in London. I would love to see this new brick and mortar shop, complete with furniture and other inspirations that represent the diverse artistic interests which come from the brand’s creators.
– Kathy Ng Hassan
From Fashion United:
The new Acne store in the capital’s Dover Street will open today with the latest aviator-inspired AW10 collection and sneak previews of the staple piece of the season being their shearling jacket. The Swedish label Acne, standing for Ambition to Create Novel Expressions, is already a big hit in London (we can get our hands on the cool brand at Browns, Liberty, Matches and online) but the anticipated concept studio spread over a five storey townhouse in the heart of London was news that sent fashion insiders into overdrive. Click to read more…
My deep love for anything and everything Lanvin grows deeper and deeper with every season. Alber Elbaz is pure perfection with the keenest eye for what a girl wants in all her frocks, frills, and over all fashion fabulousness! A match made in heaven, the 2010 collaborative collection is a true testament to the divine synergy of this ongoing love affair. The fiery and playful t??te-? -t??te between Lanvin’s signature silhouettes with Acne’s confections of soft washed denim re-defines what a chic 2010 woman should be.
Dress: LF 202D, $1,170.00
The ultimate lady that lunches elegant summery sleeveless dress in soft Japanese denim. Drape bow detail at waist with pleats running across bust and waist.
Dress: LF 203D, $900.00
This dress has a little more punch to make a grand entrance at a casual power lunch. A ruched shoulder dress with a beautiful, feminine fit. The ruching sits over the left shoulder, with pleats running across the bust. The right shoulder is sleeveless.
Dress: LF 200D, $1,380.00
My absolute favorite from this collection, the quintessential sihouette of Lanvin with the one shoulder, ruching and draping. This summery one shoulder dress is in soft Japanese light weight denim with ruched left shoulder with drapes running across the bust towards a gathered waist. A flower made of raw edged denim fabric adorns the chest. My perfect cocktail dress!
Skirt: LF 401D, $930.00
The must have item that will stand up to the test of time is this elegant pencil skirt in fine Japanese denim. Closes at side with a zipper hidden by pleated details. The side detail fabric is attached at the waist with a press button.
Blouse: LF 613D
Feminine western shirt in soft, lightweight Japanese denim. Closes with Acne Lanvin signature press buttons and ribbon detail at the collar.
Jacket: LF 701D, $2,580.00
Worn with the skirt as a beautiful suit, alone with slacks or with leather jeans for a more rock ‘n’ roll look, this glamorous denim jacket in washed Japanese denim, embellished with silver beads is versatile for day and evening all throughout the year.
Skirt: LF 400D, $840.00
I’m so glad 90′s fashion is making its’ way back in trend, this denim pencil skirt, with pleated back details, made in fine washed Japanese denim is a playful nod to the 90′s and Elbaz’s signature bow.
Shop the Lanvin/Acne 2010 Collection
–Nikki Cho Russo
Tags: Acne, Lanvin