We love editorials that don’t appear too forced (though the occasional awkward, stiff model in a ballgown is fun, we’re sorta free-spirited here at DT). This denim-clad ed in Oyster Magazine hits the nail on the head, featuring Ashley Smith chain smoking and having fun on a summer road trip, shot by Jason Lee Parry. Her gap-toothed grin and excessive jewelry are a refreshing departure from, say, editorials like this, which are denim-rich but lacking a certain genuine joviality that we associate with wearing our favorite fabric. Ashley rocks a variety of denim trends, from printed colored jeans to patchwork mom-jeans and a perfect worn-in, dirty denim workshirt. Take a mini mental vacation today and check out the images below.
When we chatted with Kuro Denim at PROJECT NY we were really impressed with the detail and thoughtfulness that we saw in each pair of the Japanese brand’s jeans. They launched with a spring 2010 line under the name Kuro (which translates to black). A blurb in their latest lookbook explains that the name Kuro was chosen because the word represents “darkness and loneliness with an image of great mystery and great strength.” Fabrics include two variations coined Nihon Menpu and Yoshikawa Orimono, and the line comes in a range of fits, from slim tapered to skinny to wide straight.
The real magic is in the detailing and wash of their jeans, our favorite of which looked like they’d been worn lovingly for many years. Artistic, yet modest and clean stitching on the back waistband and “dirty” facades created using fading, distressing, and splashes of paint are just two examples of innovative (but not over-used) approaches we were shown. Some of the jeans are made to look like the factory worker’s jeans, reinforcing the origin of denim as a utility fabric for the working class. After getting up close to the denim, we left feeling like Kuro is a pricey denim brand that delivers a product worth investing in.
We’ll definitely be keeping up with them, so stay tuned. Check out the men’s denim styling tips we picked up from them during this same visit.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: distressed denim, Japanese denim, KURO denim, men's jeans, mens denim, Project NY
Welcome to your morning dose of denim news, links, sales, and inside info! Catch up on what’s happening and browse our personal picks for the most interesting what-not that turns up during our morning web crawl. Got a tip you think we should include, a sale you want to share, or a style you just saw and can’t live without? Email us!
1. The Karl Lagerfeld x Net-A-Porter collection is now available for purchase. Lots of rockstar-inspired looks, including coated metallic and houndstooth print jeans. The website went as far as to change their logo to include a silhouette of Karl’s head.
2. The Stronghold’s Raw Denim Apron is super cool, and brings denim back to the good ol’ days of utility and workwear.
3. We love the Stone Island Spring/Summer 2012 lookbook. Smart-looking colorful clothes for men and jeans that look like well-worn favoritres already.
4. The Kardashian’s denim collection is finally out, available in three basic cuts named after the sisters. The Kim is a straight leg jean, the Kourtney is a skinny leg jean, and The Khloe is a boot cut.
5. Here comes the latest extremely sexy denim campaign: Laura Stone (who rarely seems to wear a top) for Calvin Klein features the model in bright green jeans, topless! Surprised? Neither are we.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: colorful clothes for men, green jeans, Karl Lagerfeld x Net-A-Porter collection, Laura Stone topless, Stone Island Spring/Summer 2012 lookbook, Stronghold's Raw Denim Apron, The Kardashian's denim collection
We’ve already shown you some great denim options currently on the market for women, but we haven’t forgotten menswear! Here is our selection of solid jeans, shirts, and denim accessories that cost less than $30, but still look utterly stylish. From chambray shirts to silver jeans to denim bow ties, we’ve got you covered.
1. Converse One Star Men’s Straight Leg Jean ($29.99) — buy at Target
2. The Jack Collection denim bow tie ($24) — buy at DJPremium
3. H&M Chambray shirt ($29.99) — buy at H&M
4. dENiZEN from Levi’s Jeans 208 Super Skinny Jean ($29.99) — buy at Target
5. Topman Denim Blue Oxford Tie ($20) — buy at Topman USA
6. Forever 21 Whiskered Slim Jeans ($21.90) — buy at Forever 21
7. HEbyMango Denim Shirt ($29.99) — buy at MANGO
Tags: cheap denim, Denim Menswear, denim on a budget, denim under $30
Being five feet tall is something Sarah at Denim Therapy has come to terms with in her 29 years. She makes Eric get the jeans that are on the high shelves, and she has become an expert at standing on chairs when necessary. But, when she discovered Swedish denim company d.brand made jeans in her perfect waist size, she decided it was time to stop rolling her hems and get jeans that actually fit. Watch her talk about the revelation she had and get a sneak peak into the Denim Therapy office where all the magic happens.
Tags: d.brand, denim how-to, denim jeans, Denim Repair, denim therapy hemming service, denim therapy office, getting your jeans hemmed, hemming jeans, jeans for short people, swedish denim
As much as we all love to drool over designer denim that’s way, way out of our budget, sometimes you have to climb down from your dream world and get real. Not everyone can pick up each and every delightful denim item that strikes their fancy, but that doesn’t mean budget-friendly options are limited! We’ve rounded up nine awesome pieces of denim–from jeans and jackets to dresses, shorts, and even underwear–that all hit the mark for under $30. Who says you can’t have it all?
1. Old Navy Women’s Denim Vest ($29.94) — buy at Old Navy
2. H&M Denim Shorts ($24.95) — buy at H&M
3. Topshop Daisy Print Mini ($12) — buy at Topshop
4. Life In Progress Belted Denim Shirtdress ($29.80) — buy at Forever 21
5. LIP Denim Faded Jacket (24.80) — buy at Forever 21
6. Mossimo Womens Skinny Fit 3 Premium Jean ($27.99) — buy at Target
7. Heritage 1981 Subtle Rose Skinny Jeans ($26.90) — buy at Forever 21
Tags: cheap denim, denim on a budget, denim under $30, Forever 21
VOGUE paid tribute to the time-honored combo of a cool pair of jeans and a big comfy sweater in their latest denim-oriented slideshow, led by a stunning image of model/muse Abbey Lee Kershaw. We thought some of the combos were a little unlikely, but there are some no-fail looks in here too. See all of them below.
Like what you see? You can buy every one of these pieces from the original article.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: designer jeans, guide to buying jeans, sweater and denim, sweater and jeans, vogue.com, what to buy, what to wear
Not everyone can say they had their jeans custom-made from scratch and tailored just for them, but you can. INDi makes it possible to create jeans that are handcrafted, sized and styled especially for you, from hip to ankle. Without the hassle of gazillion fitting sessions, and priced about the same as leading designer jeans, you get all the bells and whistles of a premium denim brand in a matter of weeks. Snag yourself some bragging rights and create your new custom jeans today for 30% off! Enter code DENIMTHERAPY2012 at check out. Offer ends February 1, 2012.
Did you know INDi holds six patents? Go to INDi online and see their process in action.
—Denim Therapy Staff
Tags: bespoke jeans, custom fit, custom jeans, custom made jeans, handcrafted jeans, INDi, Indi Denim, Indi jeans, tailored jeans