Here’s a tip on how to make your spring/summer denim separates a tad more feminine, whatever the wash: a floral blouse, leather braided belt (in mahogany or maroon), and a pretty painted mouth will add a lady-like touch that won’t interfere with your baby-blue’s. here are a few picks we love to achieve this look.
Denim of Virtue Boyfriend Cut-Off Shorts ($194) – buy it at National Jean Company.
Revlon Matte Lipstick in Pink Pout ($7) – buy it at Ultra Beauty.
Forever 21 Darling Floral Chiffon Top ($19) – buy it at Forever 21.
Cole Haan saddle leather ‘Genevieve’ braided wide belt ($69) – buy it at BlueFly.
Want to see how this combo pans out in-person? Tasha B of London pulls it off with ease, finishing the look with laced flat shoes and a top-knot hair style. Go further with a sweep of cat-like eyeliner and a collar buttoned up to the top. We love it!
Photo via Tasha B at Lookbook.nu.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: braided belt, Denim of Virtue, denim shorts, denim style tips, denim styling, floral top, Forever 21, pink lipstick, Revlon, Tasha B
If you need an authoritative figure to tell you what to wear, we’d like to suggest Mother Denim. The new denim line by Lela Tillem (formerly of Citizens of Humanity), and Tim Kaeding, (formerly of Seven for All Mankind) has proven so far that Mother always knows best. We showed you their first lookbook for spring, featuring a full range of cuts and styles in a gorgeous spectrum of colors, and now we bring you straight to the source with this exclusive interview.
Denim Therapy: Lets start from the beginning. What inspired you to get this brand off the ground?
Tim Kaeding: The need for a new specialized denim brand—one that’s built from the ground up, with all of the ideas I’ve had over the years that didn’t make it through the big brand muck.
DT: How do you differentiate yourself from the hundreds of popular denim brands afloat right now?
TK: The ‘competition’ really helps define us. As one company starts to get sort of run of the mill like all dark rinse skinny leggings we do a bright blue bell, something no one else is doing. And by contrast, as some companies go to town on senseless embellishments, we pull back and find the beauty in the classic detailing of jeans… Where some people worship the authentic, we aren‘t afraid to push the boundary’s of what jeans are supposed to be…
DT: Do you have any pre-designing rituals?
TK: Yes, all good designers are superstitious and ritualistic… My team and I travel to the desert and go on an over-night drunk. Then I leave them behind with nothing more than a canteen of rusty water and a pair of jeans to find their way back to Los Angeles. The one that returns first will describe how the jeans were used in rescue and will be spared – the latter will not…. and sometimes we just go to Barneys.
DT’s note: Interns beware!
? Click below to continue reading this exclusive interview! ?
Tags: Citizens of Humanity, hot new denim brand, interview, Lela Tillem, mother denim, Seven For all Mankind, Tim Kaeding
Zac was recently snapped wearing Levi’s at the airport, and it was a double dose! We loved how he styled it: a vintage flight jacket (paired perfectly with his aviator sunglasses) adds layering texture and breaks up his indigo double denim combo. It’s a relaxed yet sophisticated look. His Levi’s by Opening Ceremony Trucker Jacket in 2×1 Indigo is tastefully de-emphasized but still visible. Zac is also wearing a Levi’s Super Skinny 510 jeans in Spokes wash. It looks like Zac is ushering in the new era of the Canadian Tuxedo. Are you down for it?
Want to try out Zac’s vintage-inspired double denim look yourself? Get your feet wet with a denim brand you’re comfortable with and personalize it with a favorite jacket and a pair of trusty sunglasses.
GET THE LOOK
1. James Perse Cotton Crew Neck T-shirt ($45) – buy it at Mr Porter.
2. J Crew Factory denim jacket ($78) – buy it at J Crew.
3. Tretorn Krona Sand canvas sneaker ($70) – buy it at Tretorn.
4. EP Large Metal Mirrored Aviator Sunglasses ($10) – buy it at 80′s Purple.
5. J Crew Factory slim-fit jeans ($59.50) – buy it at J Crew.
—Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Airport Style, Canadian Tuxedo, denim jacket, double denim, Levi's, Levi's 510, Levi's x Opening Ceremony, slim jeans, vintage jeans, Zac Efron
By now we’ve made it quite clear that we’re into anything that screams rock ‘n roll. And who better to be the face of always rock inspired lable Eleven Paris than Zo? Kravits—afterall the rock vibe does run in her blood. In this third installment of their Life Is A Joke campaign, photographed by Sune Czajkowski, Kravits rocks out and chills out in an ultra 80s acid wash denim romper and frayed-at-the-sleeves denim vest. We love how this daughter of rock pulls off both the all American girl and super-punk rocker chick look perfectly.
For more images of the campaign go to fashiongonerogue.com.
Tags: 80s acid wash denim, denim romper, denim vest, Eleven Paris, Life Is A Joke, Sune Czajkowski, Zoë Kravits
News, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. What’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include? Email us!
1. Going for the Green! Levi’s® brand was ranked the #1 jeans company (and one of the overall top apparel brands) in GoodGuide’s independent consumer guide to the most socially responsible on the market. Hats off! Or should we say…jeans off?
2. When you’re talking to the in-crowd of denim-heads, the power suit is blue from head to toe. Acne‘s Black Sweden Denim Blazer (and matching Push Denim Pants) will make a statement, guaranteed. Expect to pay an arm and a leg, though.
3. Jeans for under $100! Silver Jeans Co. have new four styles in for you to browse, from relaxed skinny to straight leg, in a variety of washes & treatments. Check them out at the Denim Blog before you pop over to Silver Jeans Co.!
4. Into exlcusives? Tenue de N?mes and Raleigh Denim have produced 24 pairs of jeans made from an exclusive textile—reports Denim Geek, it’s “an indigo dyed 11.5 oz selvage canvas” that breaks in just like denim. Available at Tenue de N?mes, they’ll set you back approximately $360, but these are probably worth the bragging rights.
5. Denim Maniac has your first peek into Japanese denim brand Spellbound’s Autumn/Winter 2011 collection—we love the casual, industrial look of layered, functional menswear with loose fits & plenty of pockets.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Acne, denim collaboration, denim links, denim news, denim updates, Japanese denim, Levi's, limited edition denim, Raleigh Denim, spellbound, Tenue De Nîmes
Waist too tight? Waist fits but doesn’t flatter? Waist gaps in the back? These are just some of the items Levi’s Curve ID jeans address so women can lay the fit issue to rest this spring. The key is their focus on the shape of a woman rather than her size (shop for jeans by number? Forget it, we know how frustrating that is). Check out their new manifesto for jeans that flatter and fit, and do it quick! They’re running a deal with free shipping on all Levi.com orders until 2/28, at 11:59 pm PT.
—Michelle Christina Larsen & Jackie Racer
Tags: denim sale, free shipping, jeans that fit, Levi's Curve ID, perfect fitting jeans, skinny jeans
Seconds ago Lady Gaga posted a photo on her twitter showing off her new black-dyed bangs and summoning the beginning of a mass bang-dying phenomenon. Which is fine. But we’re a little caught up on her fierce outfit to run to the hair stylist just yet. Gaga pairs an acid wash top with acid wash jeans of a different hue (so ’90s!) glamming it up with oversized sunglasses, long decorated nails, and her token red lips. Need extra ferocity? Show us your teeth.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: acid wash, Denim On Denim, Lady Gaga, lady gaga style, oversized sunglasses, red lipstick
Anne Hathaway was spotted with boyfriend Adam Shulman have a stroll with a cup of coffee in hand. Her underbite suggests a rumination of sorts—perhaps over her big Oscar hosting night? Anne is bundled up in her blanket-like wrap lining from the Levi’s Trucker Jacket by Pendleton. She finished her look with brand new Elizabeth and James “Madison” glasses and James Jeans “Twiggy” leggings in Slate. We are digging her raggamuffin hat, the perfect compliment to the ensemble. She looks amazing in casual street-wear… we can’t wait for her red carpet look. What do you think she’ll be wearing?
Tags: Adam Shulman, anne hathaway, James Jeans “Twiggy” leggings in Slate, Levi’s Trucker Jacket by Pendleton, Oscars
Missed out on any of our stellar denim coverage this week? We make catching up easy with our round up of the most exciting blog posts we cooked up for you in the past seven days. You’re welcome!
1. Current/Elliott’s Spring Lookbook Is A Retro Delicacy—Designing a collection with flawless retro edge wasn’t enough for Current/Elliott. To feed our nostalgic cravings for all things vintage, they put together a spring lookbook that wraps up the aura of ’50s pin-up charm deliciously… Keep Reading! ?
2. London Fashion Week Denim Street Style—Roving photographer Tommy Ton is back in action across the pond at London Fashion Week for Style.com, capturing all the street style drama outside the shows… Keep Reading! ?
3. Kate Bosworth Covers Nylon Magazine’s March Issue—Kate Bosworth graces the cover of Nylon Magazine’s March 2011 issue, lavished in various fashion caviar: an Isabel Marant sweater and pink denim shorts ensemble (the cover look), Chanel shoes, Fendi skirt, Missoni wrap, Moschino Cheap & Chic sweater—need we go on?… Keep Reading! ?
4. Demi Moore in Levi’s Jeans… Guess Which Curve ID!—It’s no secret that we’re fans of Levi’s CURVE ID jeans, and we love seeing major Hollywood starlets like Demi Moore getting in on the action. Get her look!… Keep Reading! ?
5. AG Jeans Short Film Makes Denim-Designing Look Sexy—Ever wonder what guys think about in bed? If they’re denim experts, they’re probably fitting you for jeans and you don’t even know it! …Or so AG Jeans would like us to believe… Keep Reading! ?
6. Copenhagen Style: Samsoe & Samsoe Spring 2011—Although we had been busily hitting the streets in Los Angeles and New York City to drool over denim brands at the various trade shows and Fashion Weeks here in the States, we couldn’t leave out a really cool Danish brand, Samsoe & Samsoe… Keep Reading! ?
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: AG Jeans, best denim blog, best denim posts, Current/Elliott, denim news, Kate Bosworth, Levi’s CURVE ID jeans, London Fashion Week, nylon magazine, Samsoe & Samsoe, Tommy Ton