Here’s a tip on how to make your spring/summer denim separates a tad more feminine, whatever the wash: a floral blouse, leather braided belt (in mahogany or maroon), and a pretty painted mouth will add a lady-like touch that won’t interfere with your baby-blue’s. here are a few picks we love to achieve this look.
Denim of Virtue Boyfriend Cut-Off Shorts ($194) – buy it at National Jean Company.
Revlon Matte Lipstick in Pink Pout ($7) – buy it at Ultra Beauty.
Forever 21 Darling Floral Chiffon Top ($19) – buy it at Forever 21.
Cole Haan saddle leather ‘Genevieve’ braided wide belt ($69) – buy it at BlueFly.
Want to see how this combo pans out in-person? Tasha B of London pulls it off with ease, finishing the look with laced flat shoes and a top-knot hair style. Go further with a sweep of cat-like eyeliner and a collar buttoned up to the top. We love it!
Photo via Tasha B at Lookbook.nu.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: braided belt, Denim of Virtue, denim shorts, denim style tips, denim styling, floral top, Forever 21, pink lipstick, Revlon, Tasha B
If you need an authoritative figure to tell you what to wear, we’d like to suggest Mother Denim. The new denim line by Lela Tillem (formerly of Citizens of Humanity), and Tim Kaeding, (formerly of Seven for All Mankind) has proven so far that Mother always knows best. We showed you their first lookbook for spring, featuring a full range of cuts and styles in a gorgeous spectrum of colors, and now we bring you straight to the source with this exclusive interview.
Denim Therapy: Lets start from the beginning. What inspired you to get this brand off the ground?
Tim Kaeding: The need for a new specialized denim brand—one that’s built from the ground up, with all of the ideas I’ve had over the years that didn’t make it through the big brand muck.
DT: How do you differentiate yourself from the hundreds of popular denim brands afloat right now?
TK: The ‘competition’ really helps define us. As one company starts to get sort of run of the mill like all dark rinse skinny leggings we do a bright blue bell, something no one else is doing. And by contrast, as some companies go to town on senseless embellishments, we pull back and find the beauty in the classic detailing of jeans… Where some people worship the authentic, we aren‘t afraid to push the boundary’s of what jeans are supposed to be…
DT: Do you have any pre-designing rituals?
TK: Yes, all good designers are superstitious and ritualistic… My team and I travel to the desert and go on an over-night drunk. Then I leave them behind with nothing more than a canteen of rusty water and a pair of jeans to find their way back to Los Angeles. The one that returns first will describe how the jeans were used in rescue and will be spared – the latter will not…. and sometimes we just go to Barneys.
DT’s note: Interns beware!
? Click below to continue reading this exclusive interview! ?
Tags: Citizens of Humanity, hot new denim brand, interview, Lela Tillem, mother denim, Seven For all Mankind, Tim Kaeding
By now we’ve made it quite clear that we’re into anything that screams rock ‘n roll. And who better to be the face of always rock inspired lable Eleven Paris than Zo? Kravits—afterall the rock vibe does run in her blood. In this third installment of their Life Is A Joke campaign, photographed by Sune Czajkowski, Kravits rocks out and chills out in an ultra 80s acid wash denim romper and frayed-at-the-sleeves denim vest. We love how this daughter of rock pulls off both the all American girl and super-punk rocker chick look perfectly.
For more images of the campaign go to fashiongonerogue.com.
Tags: 80s acid wash denim, denim romper, denim vest, Eleven Paris, Life Is A Joke, Sune Czajkowski, Zoë Kravits
News, links, sales, and everything else we couldn’t help but share. What’s happening (and totally not happening) in the world of denim now. Got a tip you think we should include? Email us!
1. Going for the Green! Levi’s® brand was ranked the #1 jeans company (and one of the overall top apparel brands) in GoodGuide’s independent consumer guide to the most socially responsible on the market. Hats off! Or should we say…jeans off?
2. When you’re talking to the in-crowd of denim-heads, the power suit is blue from head to toe. Acne‘s Black Sweden Denim Blazer (and matching Push Denim Pants) will make a statement, guaranteed. Expect to pay an arm and a leg, though.
3. Jeans for under $100! Silver Jeans Co. have new four styles in for you to browse, from relaxed skinny to straight leg, in a variety of washes & treatments. Check them out at the Denim Blog before you pop over to Silver Jeans Co.!
4. Into exlcusives? Tenue de N?mes and Raleigh Denim have produced 24 pairs of jeans made from an exclusive textile—reports Denim Geek, it’s “an indigo dyed 11.5 oz selvage canvas” that breaks in just like denim. Available at Tenue de N?mes, they’ll set you back approximately $360, but these are probably worth the bragging rights.
5. Denim Maniac has your first peek into Japanese denim brand Spellbound’s Autumn/Winter 2011 collection—we love the casual, industrial look of layered, functional menswear with loose fits & plenty of pockets.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Acne, denim collaboration, denim links, denim news, denim updates, Japanese denim, Levi's, limited edition denim, Raleigh Denim, spellbound, Tenue De Nîmes
Missed out on any of our stellar denim coverage this week? We make catching up easy with our round up of the most exciting blog posts we cooked up for you in the past seven days. You’re welcome!
1. Current/Elliott’s Spring Lookbook Is A Retro Delicacy—Designing a collection with flawless retro edge wasn’t enough for Current/Elliott. To feed our nostalgic cravings for all things vintage, they put together a spring lookbook that wraps up the aura of ’50s pin-up charm deliciously… Keep Reading! ?
2. London Fashion Week Denim Street Style—Roving photographer Tommy Ton is back in action across the pond at London Fashion Week for Style.com, capturing all the street style drama outside the shows… Keep Reading! ?
3. Kate Bosworth Covers Nylon Magazine’s March Issue—Kate Bosworth graces the cover of Nylon Magazine’s March 2011 issue, lavished in various fashion caviar: an Isabel Marant sweater and pink denim shorts ensemble (the cover look), Chanel shoes, Fendi skirt, Missoni wrap, Moschino Cheap & Chic sweater—need we go on?… Keep Reading! ?
4. Demi Moore in Levi’s Jeans… Guess Which Curve ID!—It’s no secret that we’re fans of Levi’s CURVE ID jeans, and we love seeing major Hollywood starlets like Demi Moore getting in on the action. Get her look!… Keep Reading! ?
5. AG Jeans Short Film Makes Denim-Designing Look Sexy—Ever wonder what guys think about in bed? If they’re denim experts, they’re probably fitting you for jeans and you don’t even know it! …Or so AG Jeans would like us to believe… Keep Reading! ?
6. Copenhagen Style: Samsoe & Samsoe Spring 2011—Although we had been busily hitting the streets in Los Angeles and New York City to drool over denim brands at the various trade shows and Fashion Weeks here in the States, we couldn’t leave out a really cool Danish brand, Samsoe & Samsoe… Keep Reading! ?
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: AG Jeans, best denim blog, best denim posts, Current/Elliott, denim news, Kate Bosworth, Levi’s CURVE ID jeans, London Fashion Week, nylon magazine, Samsoe & Samsoe, Tommy Ton
Whether bouncing off walls or climbing over fences, there’s no excuse to let your style guard down. That’s the premise of the latest campaign for Italian label Double Black. A group of young guns showcase all the essentials needed for the perfect contemporary wardrobe, from jackets with zip details, chinos, and crisp shirts, to casual denim separates like distressed jeans and vintage washed denim jackets. As Double Black puts it “…[A guy] knows that to be really stylish he always needs to feel at ease.” We couldn’t agree more.
To view the full campaign go the Double Black Website and click on the ADV tab. While you’re there, be sure to check out some behind the scenes footage of the making of the campaign.
Tags: Campaigs, casual denim separates, Distressed Jeans, Double Black, menswear, Spring Summer 2011, stylish guys, versatile looks, vintage washed denim jackets
Brazilian fresh face Vanessa Cruz takes us on a short but sweet retro road trip to the 50s in the February issue of Marie Claire Brazil. The vintage inspired editorial, shot by photographer Fernando Louza, takes the best of what the decade had to offer and makes it of-the-moment with an ultra modern take. High waisted short short ensembles are paired with the perfect denim accents from studded work shirts to vests in classic 50s sleeveless shirt cuts and boleros make for the perfect retro look .
Images from fashioneditorials.com
— Sandoval Gomez
Tags: 50's style, denim bolero, denim vest, Editorials, February 2011 Issue, Fernando Louza, Marie Claire Brazil, On The Road, retro looks, studded work shirt
Whether you’ll be at home, at a friend’s, in a bar or anywhere else a TV screen presents itself (champagne and caviar included) it’s time to celebrate the over-the-top glamour of the 83rd Academy Awards by getting red carpet ready in your best dressed denim looks as you and your friends enjoy the designer fashions and beautiful people of Hollywood. Check out our nominees for best Oscars party style, including a best-supporting jean!
If you’re homeward bound for some private Oscars viewing this weekend, be as comfortable as you want to be — in style. Don’t forget the popcorn!
1. J Brand Cut off Shorts in Leon ($152) – buy it at J Brand.
2. James Perse Casual Tee ($50) – buy it at James Perse.
3. Juicy Couture Sequin Embellished Hood Top ($200) – buy it at Net-a-Porter.
4. Pray For Mother Nature Devil’s Post Pile Flare Jeans ($176) – buy it at Shopbop.
5. UGG Australia Women’s Rylan Slip in Orchid Bloom ($90) – buy it at UGG Australia.
Planning on some pre-Oscars partying after work? Remember to slip into your lucky jeans and print out the official Oscars ballot so everyone can play along. Come Monday, there’ll be either high-fives all around or eaten crow.
1. Zara Studio Coat with Combination Sleeve ($189) – buy it at Zara.
2. A.P.C. Porsellis Ballerina Flats ($175) – buy it at A.P.C.
3. James Jeans Twiggy Cargo in Camel ($172) – buy it at James Jeans.
4. Goldsign Aja Clean Pocket Slouch Jeans ($210) – buy it at Shopbop.
5. Metal Navette Ring in Gold ($18) – buy it at Topshop.
6. Kate Spade Essex Small Scout in Orange ($295) – buy it at Kate Spade.
Partying with 100 of your closest friends in town? Make sure you rock your denim with some glam makeup and arm bling. People might just forgive you as you prematurely shout out the winners between jelly shots.
1. Kill City x Brian Lichtenberg Junkie Black Waxed Moto Jeans ($180) – buy it at Kill City.
2. Vero Moda Epaulet Shirt ($57.38) – buy it at ASOS.
3. Rebecca Minkoff Python Skinny Jeans ($208) – buy it at Shopbop.
4. Philippe Audibert Gold Plated Cuff ($510) – buy it at Net-a-Porter.
5. Sam Edelman Lorissa Stud Pump ($199) – buy it at REVOLVE Clothing.
6. Botkier Charlotte Clutch ($375) – buy it at Botkier.
—Jackie Racer & Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Academy Awards, DENIM, Goldsign, J Brand, James Jeans, Oscars, party fashion, Pray for Mother Nature