While browsing the wares at (capsule), we had a chat with the representatives of Han Kjobenhavn (AKA: Han), a Copenhagen-born menswear brand that specializes in turning classic-cool into right-now-cool-with-classic-appeal. They were more than happy to let us rummage through their selection and get acquainted with the clothing..
Refining and reconstructing clothes from the 1950′s, our AW10 apparel collection has been made by the guiding principles which have been used for more than 100 years. –Han
As self-proclaimed blowers-off of the trend bandwagon, they stick to the classic design principles that have been applying seamlessly to denim construction and marketing since denim itself was born. Their clothing is functional and industrial while remaining ever-conscious to the modern market. Their newest lookbook features functional outerwear like the ’50s bomber jacket with indigo lining, lamb’s wool cardigans, hand sewn T’s, and denim treated with Han’s “exclusive fabrics and hand wash processes”. Three washes appear in the newest line, in a ’50s tapered classic fit, inspired by 1947 Japanese denim archives. And you know how much we love jeans with history!
Keep an eye on Han Kjobenhavn on facebook and at the Han Kjobenhavn official site.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: capsule trade show, copenhagen, Denmark, Han Kjobenhavn, spring 2011 lookbook
In an attempt for the brand to go with something different altogether from design to aesthetic, founder, creative director, and denim designer of Cheap Monday, ?rjan Andersson, stands in front of the camera for the new Spring Summer 2011 lookbook. We love the quirky attitude that he brings to the overall black and white minimalistic look of it all. In terms of denim it’s clear that Cheap Monday can do no wrong. And even treading into somewhat new territory by infusing the collection with a heavy dose of Italian diamont? , LA celebrity taste, and Latin denim fashion inspiration the outcome is still a great combination of exaggerated meets minimal.
View the full lookbook on cheapmonday.com.
— Sandoval Gomez
Tags: Cheap Monday, LookBook, Orjan Anderson, Spring Summer 2011
Missed out on anything this week? We make catching up easy with our round up of the most exciting blog posts we cooked up for you in the past seven days. You’re welcome!
1. A/W 2011 Menswear: Balmain Homme—One menswear collection (or wardrobe as designer Christophe Decarnin prefers to call it) that we could not go without making a big fuss out of is without a doubt Balmain Homme… Keep Reading! ?
2. Denim Insider: Twelve Years of Frankie B. Jeans—In February, Frankie B. Jeans will mark its 12th year anniversary, and we thought it would be fitting to talk to Daniella Clarke, the founder who started out DIYing her own jeans as a teenager by ripping out the waistbands… Keep Reading! ?
3. Who Wears Short Shorts? Natalia Vodianova!—We’re obsessed with the eerie mood of this denim-hued ’70s/circus inspired editorial featuring Russian beauty Natalia Vodianova, shot by by Paolo Roversi… Keep Reading! ?
4. AW 2011 Menswear Round Up Part 1—Color, colore, couleur! From Milan to Paris, the Autumn-Winter 2011 Menswear shows were vibrant, bursting with color, both hot and muted, perhaps in an attempt by haute couture designers to break out of the usual winter black and grays… Keep Reading! ?
5. Nowhere Denim, Nowhere League—We’re obviously obsessed with anything reminiscent of 90s grunge, so it’s no wonder why we love this editorial from the latest issue of Sportswear International. Shot by Jimmy Fontaine and styled by Karen Levill, this moody adventure sets these Dr. Marten-wearing young things in the middle of nowhere parading around in the apathy of their youth… Keep Reading! ?
6. Fergie in Black Orchid Ankle Buckle Skinny Jeans—Fergie was spotted in Los Angeles wearing Black Orchid’s “Black Jewel Ankle Buckle” skinny jeans in Fog wash. Joined by husband Josh Duhamel (we love the matching black leather jackets, love birds!)… Keep Reading! ?
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: Balmain Homme, best denim blogs, best denim posts, black orchid, denim editorial, Fergie, Natalia Vodianova
While the consistency of denim fiber poses some limitations on what types of garments can be created with it, the wide range in denim options comes instead from washes and treatments. Gilded Age designer Stefan Miljanic answered some questions for Gilt on his exhaustive process, wherein he uses natural elements to carry out his “antiquated” aging/treatment process. Check out the denim designer’s interview.
—Michelle Christina Larsen
Tags: aging denim, denim treatment process, Gilded Age, Gilt, Stefan Miljanic, the art of denim
We’re obviously obsessed with anything reminiscent of 90s grunge, so it’s no wonder why we love this editorial from the latest issue of Sportswear International. Shot by Jimmy Fontaine and styled by Karen Levill, this moody adventure sets these Dr. Marten-wearing young things in the middle of nowhere parading around in the apathy of their youth, while looking great doing it. We love how the subtle and almost inconspicuous use of denim (besides the apparent faded denim jacket) adds to the effervescence of the styling. Who knew looking so listless could be so complex?
View the full editorial on thefashionisto.com.
— Sandoval Gomez
Tags: Dr. Marten Boots, Editorials, Faded Denim Jacket, Jimmy Fontain, Karen Levill, Sportswear International, The Nowehere League
One menswear collection (or wardrobe as designer Christophe Decarnin prefers to call it) that we could not go without making a big fuss out of is without a doubt Balmain Homme. And though we would much rather have seen these ultra layered looks walk down a runway, we have to admit thislookbook is pretty amazing. There is a huge emphasis on outerwear in this collection, including everything from blazers to huge oversized military coats–a big trend for Fall. Naturally, the brand’s signature paneled biker jeans are back, however a much more simpler, straight-leg and much loser fit has been added to into the mix, which we love. One thing is certain: Decarnin can do no wrong. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, any man wearing his styles will certainly look really good and is sure to get noticed.
View the full lookbook on Style.com.
Tags: Autumn/Winter 2011, Balmain Homme, Christophe Decarnin, Fall 2011, Fall Trends, LookBook, menswear, Military Coats, Outerwear, Paneled Biker Jeans
On newsstands now, big screen starlet Leighton Meester is the cover girl for NYLON Magazine’s February 2011 issue. She sports a Diesel coated denim skirt paired with a satiny Marc Jacobs jacket (cut like a classic denim jacket, as it were). Shot by the mag’s Editor-in-Chief Marvin Scott Jarrett, Leighton is styled in plenty’o'denim, leading us to believe they magazine is trying to showcase a very casual, non-Blair Waldorf side of her persona. And with her new movie rolls showing her in very un-Blair like lights, we think it’s perfect timing for this prim princess to pull some nice, classic denim on.
Image via NYLON.
Does this styling look familiar? NYLON are particularly notorious for denim cut-offs on their cover girls (and we couldn’t adore it more—this is one statement we rock all year round). For more denim shorts on pretty girls action, check out the coverage on Mila Kunis.
1. A Peter Pan collar adds a girlie touch to a flirty ensemble. River Island Peter Pan Collar ($46.53) – buy it at ASOS.
2. Stripes are back in a big way this spring. BBonJ Vertical Stripe Legging ($40) – buy it at YESSTYLE.
3. Who hasn’t seen a co-ed wearing cut offs? MOTO Americana Denim Hot Pants ($52) – buy it at Topshop.
View Leighton’s interview and more looks at NYLON.
– Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Celebrity, Country Strong, Leighton Meester, The Roomate
Cindy Crawford was spotted this week at LAX wearing one of spring’s hottest denim trends – Black Orchid’s “Black Beauty High Rise Flares” in Sunrise wash. Black Orchid seems to be the denim to travel in! Adding a light sweater and boots (we wonder if she was flying to NYC and ready to brave the freezing weather), the model mom is a chic traveler in flares which feature a higher rise and slight distressing for a worn-in look. And now that we’ve seen how great Cindy looks in this style, we’re more inspired than ever to rock the wide leg!
Tags: black beauty high rise flares, black orchid denim, cindy crawford, Denim Therapy, distressed denim, high rise jeans, hottest trend, lax, nyc, spring
Maybe it’s been a bit chilly outside lately, but a denim aficionado can’t let a little weather get in the way of a good sale, right? Brooklyn Denim Co. is having a 50% off sale on select fall-winter merchandise, which includes denim jeans, outerwear, sweaters, belts, and more. No coupon needed. Just go and shop to your heart’s content. Oh, and if you need any help with finding the right jeans for you, the super nice people at Brooklyn Denim Co. (ask for Kenny or Frank) are at your service!
– Kathy Ng Hassan
Tags: Brooklyn Denim Co., denim deals, denim sales, fall-winter sale, jeans sale
Posted Jan 28 2011 in Sales